disolusiond

Revolution

You guys who've made it to the latest episode are amazing. I've tried to watch the first episode twice, just can't do it.

Just on that one point: Clean was not my problem - as you say, washing happened before machines. My problem with the clothes was that it's supposedly 15 years later - modern clothes are fucked well before that. To make new clothing from modern cloth takes rather more than a seamstress with needle and thread. And that's supposing the cloth itself has survived that long without rotting, degrading, or being eaten by moths and/or rodents.

i have a box of shirts that are 10-12yrs old, i had used them to wrap up all my model cars to keep the safe from scratches, besides being dirty as covered in dust, and 1 covered in oil stains, id bet they might come up alright if i washed them, although they wouldnt fit... :)

You guys who've made it to the latest episode are amazing. I've tried to watch the first episode twice, just can't do it.

Im still watching it to fill in the time i have spare, its really not that bad, But the flashbacks in time are starting to get annoying, its not lost style flashbacks (which where generally happy moments), these ones are alot more dark and gritty~ish..

I'm liking how the story line is getting progressed and doesn't feel like it's gotten bogged down at all yet.

Episode 3 was more interesting than ep 2.

Although I'm wanting to punch the main girl in the face.

i have a box of shirts that are 10-12yrs old, i had used them to wrap up all my model cars to keep the safe from scratches, besides being dirty as covered in dust, and 1 covered in oil stains, id bet they might come up alright if i washed them, although they wouldnt fit... :)

I'm betting you haven't used them in subsistence farm work for all that time either, though.

I'm betting you haven't used them in subsistence farm work for all that time either, though.

true, been away in storage, but its also plausible some people raided clothing stores and packed away some to use later on as they needed replacing? or as the value went up?

true, been away in storage, but its also plausible some people raided clothing stores and packed away some to use later on as they needed replacing? or as the value went up?

Yeah, ok. But here's my thing: the population wasn't wiped out by anything, therefore all of stuff in stores would last about as long as stock levels do now - ie: about a week. (Sis owned a sportswear retail, and that's how often she needed resupply.) Assume that there was enough waiting in train between manufacturers and delivery that you could triple that, which is probably overly generous.

There's supposed to be zero complex machinery available. That means shit gets done by humans, horses, and fire. That's not good for clothes. Particularly not modern microfibres and spectacularly flammable artificials. Legacy stuff from before the collapse is not going to be around long, and what little makes it long enough for people to realise that they're going to need to make their own is going to end up being royalty-level finery - not something shitkickers wear on their prolebashing rounds.

Finally... Fifteen. YEARS. That paragraph above would start to be apparent within 2, let alone 15.

I guess they didn't have enough elecricity to power their guns.... swordplay? Really?

Edited by kunzie

I guess they didn't have enough elecricity to power their guns.... swordplay? Really?

swords seem to be the weapon of choice, as they cant manufacture modern bullets, and the ones they have left, are so rare and valuable that its used only when necessary, was explained by the militia captain in the last episode.

swords seem to be the weapon of choice, as they cant manufacture modern bullets, and the ones they have left, are so rare and valuable that its used only when necessary, was explained by the militia captain in the last episode.

We ams fargot blaxmythyng.

its really hard to take reviews from ppl you dont know very well, theres so many ppl on the internet that down rate something so much simply because its super hyped up and they want their review to make an impact.

Like the people who rated diablo 3 "1/10" but still played it long enough to max out a toon.

Or like how i rate the true blood series 1/10 but have seen 3 seasons of it, by myself, of my own free will :/

I'm gonna go against most here and say I'm actually enjoying it.

I mean, it's not Person of Interest, but it's CERTAINLY not Terra Nova.

A lot of stuff is being explained now. The third episode cleared a number of things up for me. The muskets became explainable (the militia having all the high powered weaponary) and the swords & crossbows etc (militia doesn't let anyone not militia have a gun). I'm liking the whole "swordfights AND gunbattles in one show that actually makes sense" as well. The sword fighting scenes are fun (although Hawkeye would probably poke holes in techniques etc) and the flashbacks are making for interesting stuff coming.

The main girl (who I also wanted to punch in the face during the first episode) is also getting reasonably okay - especially now she also has the explosives chick with her to gang up on Miles giving a few laughs.

***feminine sidetrack - Miles is SOOOOO yummy, I'd watch the damn show just for him :) I couldn't believe it's the same guy that was in Twilight...

The most recent huge surprise ( Miles actually helped put the militia together and trained them with Col whatshisface ) will also make for some interesting stuff in the future finding out what actually happened and why. The fact also that the main girl's mother isn't dead and is being held by Col whatsis , will mean more development for the main girl as well as more development into the story of why the lights went out. The relationship between both big nerd guy and the english chick searching for black computer lady means that there is also another angle happening to the story at the same time which could progress interestingly. I can see one side of this finding out why it happened, and the other finding out how to turn it back on, coming together somewhere in the middle.

I'm not convinced this has legs enough for a whole season, and the interest could easily wash out, but at the moment, there is enough there to keep my attention.

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Looked good until totally unrealistic sword fighting and over the top drama.

Also post apocalyptic people looking like they have makeup on is stupid. Women looking like they've just had a facial and wearing neatly press clothes while 'workin hard' on the land, sounds small but takes me out of the story too much.

Looked good until totally unrealistic sword fighting and over the top drama.

Also post apocalyptic people looking like they have makeup on is stupid. Women looking like they've just had a facial and wearing neatly press clothes while 'workin hard' on the land, sounds small but takes me out of the story too much.

Shoulda given that bit to the Poms. Nobody does filth better.

As in "needs cleaning", you disgusting buggers. Get your minds out of the gutter. ;P

The muskets became explainable (the militia having all the high powered weaponary)

Maybe I'm confused, but didn't everyone in the militia bar the in-charge-black-dude in the first episode only have single-shot weapons?

The most recent huge surprise ( Miles actually helped put the militia together and trained them with Col whatshisface )

I guess it wasn't technically revealed but that was a pretty obvious follow on the the "reveal" at the end of the first ep.

The fact also that the main girl's mother isn't dead and is being held by Col whatsis ,

That's good. Mostly because I like the actress from her brief stint on Boston Legal. I can't imagine the annoying details of her sexual history and things she's had to do to survive will be... urgh, just thinking about it makes me not want to watch it at all, ever.

OK, just watched first 2 episodes. Not as bad once you push through the post-apocalypse barrier.

I think the use of single-shot weapons by the militia has two reasons - keep the reserves of ammo for the coming war and avoid the chance that the rebels will upgrade. Although this is the USA, everyone should have an arsenal somewhere.

That was a damn nice tattoo done without a powered needle.

Kill Nate, you stupid wench.

edit - forgot: BRAs??? Good grief.

Edited by mykl_c

Bullets for existing weapons do not require electronics to make. Bullets are simply not complicated excepting maybe high caliber sniper rifles that require more intricate flight profiles to maintain accuracy. Many regular gun users make their own bullets right now with simple moulds.

Bullets for existing weapons do not require electronics to make. Bullets are simply not complicated excepting maybe high caliber sniper rifles that require more intricate flight profiles to maintain accuracy. Many regular gun users make their own bullets right now with simple moulds.

Indeed. Lead moulds are easily available for just about everything. The only tricky bit is the copper jackets, and you can even do those - it just requires a little more expertise.

http://camdenrgc.com/bulletmaking/making_y...er_jacketed.htm

Tantryl and Cybes - while I agree with that being the case in our world, it's explicitly stated in episode 3 that they can't make good bullets - smokeless powder etc.

Good to see Stephen getting some more work.

Oh - the name's Sebastian Monroe, Bas being a familiar contraction.

Edited by mykl_c

Tantryl and Cybes - while I agree with that being the case in our world, it's explicitly stated in episode 3 that they can't make good bullets - smokeless powder etc.

Yes, that's why we're saying it's stupid, because their reason is stupid and makes no sense.

*EDIT* To be specific: forms of smokeless powder have been around since the mid 19th century and haven't changed a great deal in the last 100 years, I think.

Edited by tantryl

lol is it me or is in every show where the main character's parent was supposed to be dead, they're really not?

This is literally the 3rd show I've watched this season that pulled that particular "surprise".

As for the rest of the show. It's ok. A little too Lost-ish for me, and sometimes it lays it on a bit thick in the fake-drama/angst category but much better than some of the other turds floating around. It goes into the "maybe" stash for now.

oh and why is everybody so clean in a post-apocalyptic world? How do they get their cloths so neat and stain-free when there's no washing machine or laundry powder? And why is there another fat guy in a scenario where manual labor and little food is almost guaranteed?

Edited by Oracle X

Yes, that's why we're saying it's stupid, because their reason is stupid and makes no sense.

*EDIT* To be specific: forms of smokeless powder have been around since the mid 19th century and haven't changed a great deal in the last 100 years, I think.

Indeed. However, given we're talking about a show where an amulet can magically restore physics in a small area, I think you may be worrying about the wrong issues! :)

Oracle X: The Republic has made it a capital offence to go more than a week without bathing?

Edited by mykl_c

Indeed. However, given we're talking about a show where an amulet can magically restore physics in a small area, I think you may be worrying about the wrong issues! :)

I'm not worried about it as I went over extensively on my long post. I am a little worried about people who accept that mulligan as a reasonable explanation for the problem.

I'm not worried about it as I went over extensively on my long post. I am a little worried about people who accept that mulligan as a reasonable explanation for the problem.

Sorry, skimmed too quickly. I guess we could easily pick this completely apart leaving nothing but a small pile of acceptable plot points. I'm choosing to willingly suspend my disbelief and see how it goes, now that I've invested the effort to get this far into it!

Why are the clothes the way they are? Because it's cheaper in costuming.

Why are most of the actors clean? Because who wants to sit for an hour or more in makeup? Also - less makeup is cheaper.

Yeah, like I said in my long post, those things don't really matter in the long run. It'd be nice if they put a bit more effort in but shit happens.