Sign in to follow this  
justo316

Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A Gaming 5.1 Headset

Picked up a pair of these today. I've been wanting a headset of some sort. Hadn't really done my homework, but my Game store credit note was on the verge of being worthless so I looked for anything that I could remotely need to spend it on.

Saw that they had the Turtle Beach Z6A headset. I've heard of Turtle Beach before....only in passing, and from my vague memory they generally came across pretty positively. I also have been wondering how a surround sound headset works. I did a quick review search on my phone and they seemed to check out. The common thread I got was that these headphones were pretty damn good for the price point.

Well, I've tested them out for the past couple hours and I have to say, they're a bit of a letdown. Actually, i've probably been put off Turtle Beach products for good now.

It's 1:30am so I'll summarise my points.

Pros:

- They seem comfy.

- They sound ok.

- They cost me $100 (after using my credit note)

- I could probably sell them on for profit.

- 5.1 works ok....probably better than I could have expected.

- Having the amp controls with separate volumes for each channel is a great idea.

- Quick release for the headphones, leaving the amp plugged into the PC is good.

Cons:

- They feel cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke putting it on your head.

- The amp feels even cheaper.

- The wires are the cheapest, thinnest things you can get.

- There's a massive amount of hiss introduced to my system because of the amp....mostly from the mic line (if you unplug the mic line form the PC, the hiss dimishes greatly).

- The amp volume controls have no markings and it's really easy to change the settings accidentally. Now, if you've gone through the trouble of spending 10min calibrating it in a program, then bump it ingame, it kind of fucks you off.

- The extra splitter cord they provide to allow hooking up the headphone amp and a set of speakers at the same time is handy, but introduces even more hiss, as if there wasn't enough, and degrades sound quality.

- The speakers sound crap. Sorry, but while I'm no audiophile, I'm still not willing to put up with super-sub-standard quality. The bass is ok. However, the main drivers are the tinniest things I've ever heard. Some people call it "bright" or "trebly"....no, they aren't either, they are rubbish. Admittedly, most people will ignore it, and tell the world they sound great (cos they wasted $140 on them).

- The mic does the job, but my webcam mic does a better job. The headset mic matches the drivers in tinny sound quality. Your voice sounds really thin and nasaly.

Ultimately, I doubt I'll keep these. I'll probably give them a few more days then pack them up an sell them on. I definitely won't bother even looking at another Turtle Beach product. If I were going to pay for this headset again, I wouldn't pay more than $50.

** note: re. Hiss **

I've read a lot of people complain about the hiss on the net. I've also read a lot of people trying to justify their purchase saying we need to take another look at our windows volume settings.

Rubbish.

Yes, it helps, but it limits your headroom and there's still hiss. I have an Auzentech X-Fi based sound card, I should have to worry about any hiss in my system.

Posted Image

I've tried a pair of P11's. Turn the mic right down on the in line amp, it gets rid of the hiss, did on the pair of P11's. I could still speak to the people in game with the mic right down / off. It may remove your hiss.

So many better companies around that Turtle Beach. They made their name by providing console players with sub-par headphones, those kids don't care about a bit of feedback or hissing.

Leave PC headphones to the pros.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18703

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15660

I use the Shure 840's when I'm playing alone, and use my Plantronics 777's when I am playing with friends and need my mic.

So many better companies around that Turtle Beach. They made their name by providing console players with sub-par headphones, those kids don't care about a bit of feedback or hissing.

Leave PC headphones to the pros.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18703

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15660

I use the Shure 840's when I'm playing alone, and use my Plantronics 777's when I am playing with friends and need my mic.

Those are just headphones? In that case, I already have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250's for studio monitoring. But I use them on the odd occasion I need headphones for whatever cos they're so damn good.

But yeah, I guess I just wanted that all in one-ness of a gaming headset, with surround sound.

A lot of Turtle Beach headsets get returned at my work because they are faulty. Do yourself a favour and get something a little better.

A lot of Turtle Beach headsets get returned at my work because they are faulty. Do yourself a favour and get something a little better.

Oh I will be. Well, selling it on.

Any recommendations? Have to be surround sound and mic'd. Oh, and preferably around the $100 price bracket.

Edited by justo316

Oh I will be. Well, selling it on.

Any recommendations? Have to be surround sound and mic'd. Oh, and preferably around the $100 price bracket.

see if you can return it to game and get store credit, buy absolutely anything else?

I use normal headphones (ad700s) and a clip on mic as I couldn't find a "gaming headset" that I actually liked.

Edited by p0is0n

Game are under administration now, so credit notes would be worth shit very soon :P That's why I went and bought it, cos I wanted to use my credit note before they went under. No biggie. I'll be able to flog it off.

If you want "gaming headphones with surround" I use a pair of Plantronics 777's on the odd occasion, not too bad.

Though a pair of Stereo cans with a clip on is the best option IMO.

I've got a pair of Turtle Beach EarForce Bravos (wireless and MW3 branded, got them for $40 down from $199 at the big DSE sale).

For music, they've got nothing on my Essence STX and Audio Technica AD-700's, but for games they're quite decent. A bit punchier with the bass, which helps for games. The mic on the headset is fantastic and clear for everyone listening to me ramble.

I've not noticed any hissing whatsoever (unless they're turned up louder than they really shoudl be and there's nothing playing).

They use USB audio rather than going through my sound card.

I'm happy with them for the price I paid, but for what is normally a $200 product, ti feels very very flimsy :\ Definitely don't feel like they'd be in good condition after a few years of semi-regular use.

I thought I should update my thoughts on this headset.

Recently, I've upgraded my system. My new motherboard has a VIA audio chip. My previous motherboard had a Realtek chip, but I was mostly using an Auzentech X-Plosion sound card (I did test it with both originally).

It seems, when this headset is plugged into the onboard sound of my new mobo, PRETTY MUCH ALL THE HISS IS GONE. I'm pretty pleased with that. Even with the supplied speaker breakout cable, I don't have any noticeable hiss anymore. I cannot believe it. Maybe it had something to do with me knocking the amp off the table and it hitting the floor :P

One thing I did notice was that the mic quality has gotten poorer. When I talk, and listen back, my voice comes across a bit warbly. I've tried changing all the settings, and the only thing I can do is just turn it louder so that the low volume part of the warble doesn't get lost amongst the game sounds.

So bearing this in mind, I probably still wouldn't purchase another one. It's still flimsy, cheaply made and sounds pretty crappy.....but it will do me for now as it saves me wasting money on a new (better) one.