Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fat_Bodybuilder

PHPBB Help

Hey guys :-)

I am interested in using PHPBB as a forum, and I have found a great free theme that I want to use, however, I am detracted from the fact that it uses a set amount of pixels for the width.

What I would like is that the forum itself is not set to that width, and instead a %.

Now, I would only want the post region to expand, not everything. So what I was thinking was having the whole board a set %, and then within that, the part where you see avatars etc, to be a set width.

I hear this is in the CSS, but have looked with no prevail.

Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Also, while we're here, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of each topic, similar to the way Atomic V2.6 had.

Cheers, again.

Hey guys :-)

I am interested in using PHPBB as a forum, and I have found a great free theme that I want to use, however, I am detracted from the fact that it uses a set amount of pixels for the width.

What I would like is that the forum itself is not set to that width, and instead a %.

Now, I would only want the post region to expand, not everything. So what I was thinking was having the whole board a set %, and then within that, the part where you see avatars etc, to be a set width.

I hear this is in the CSS, but have looked with no prevail.

Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Also, while we're here, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of each topic, similar to the way Atomic V2.6 had.

Cheers, again.

Since this is about phpBB, this is more suited for both software -and- programming section...

If you can find a similar theme for it, I highly reommend you check out Simple Machines, I used to prefer phpBB, since I tried Simple Machines, never looked back, it's a thing of beauty.

edit:

should be in software & programming since it's about phpBB (software), even though it's changing a design element in phpBB, i think it's more suitable in programming, as it's more after a specific variable to change in phpBB, and thus something programming/programmer specific, more likely to get an answer from a programmer than a designer.

Designr will simply say "oh, width needs changing", but wont necessarily know the answer to "how do i configure x with phpBB?" since the question is actually about a technicality with a piece of software/code etc.

just my 2 cents

Before I go and do some research, have you checked the documentation, and asked on their forums? =P

edit: And to be fair Athiril, most people tend to class web design as being the front end. Web development being the back end.

HTML, CSS etc are all frontend activities, which is what this is so I think it's fine for it to stay here as it would have been posted in the web design forum back in the old forums.

Yep. To be fair, a phpBB forum is a software package, BUT modifying it via CSS is a web design question, so the question is more suited to those that know these things; the people in web design.

Yeah... I thought I'd ask on my favourite forum first xD

So... I'll check the docs, see what I can come up with, and if nothing is there then I'll ask on their forums, provided of course that no one here has the answer :P

Cheers guys ;-)

Well, there's usually a few experts that hang around on their forums who'll be able to give you a quick fast and detailed answer much better than I could after a few hours of looking through the docs =P

There are a few attributes to change in the style sheet.

Open up the main CSS file that your using for the website (eg mine is: /styles/subSilver/theme/stylesheet.css)

I *think* these are the following divs to be changed:

#wrapheader

#wrapcentre

#datebar

and that should do it,

under the width section just change to (width: 100%)

Assuming its a prosilver based theme;

Open styles/prosilver/theme/common.css, find:

#wrap {
   padding: 0 20px;
   min-width: 650px;
}

change to;-

#wrap {
   padding: 0 20px;
   min-width: 650px;
   width: 760px;
   margin: 0 auto;
}

edit: don't forget to refresh the theme via the style components tab in the admin panel under "styles" / "themes"