Sign in to follow this  
Tiptopperoo

Diablo III - Mini Box

Hi guys,

I'm building a system just to play D3. I killed who knows how many hours on D2 (don't lie we ALL did) and now I feel that I need to do the same with D3. My system at home is super old and I figure I may as well update and build a new box while I'm at it. The system has to crush D3 on a Dell 24"Ultrasharp at max settings at res of 1920x1080. I also want it to be small and pretty quiet so I'm tossing up between the Silverstone TJ08-E Black M-ATX/ITX Case and the Fractal Design Define Mini

I had a look at Tom's Hardware and they did a review of some GPU's here so I figure if I want it running super smooth I want the FPS to stay above 30fps (does that sound right or should I aim higher?).

Here is what I'm thinking thus far, I actually PM'd Dasa already and he suggested it would be overkill, and I think he could be right, so if anyone has a better cheap build that won't sacrifice D3 performance, I'd love to hear it. However...I'm more than happy to spend about 1-1.3k on the system, so unless we're carving hundreds off it...

(Prices are from PC-Case Gear)

CPU: i5 3750K - $245

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Ext 4-M - $149

RAM: G-Skill Sniper F3 2x4GB - $65

GPU: I'm thinking a Radeon HD 6850 for ~$150 but could be swayed higher or lower. It just seems pretty good value at the moment...? Do they make any silent ones?

SSD: Do I really need one?

HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB - $109

Optical: DWD-R/W Black - $25

Case: Deciding between Fractal Design Define Mini - $129 OR Silverstone TJ08-E Black M-ATX/ITX Case $99

PSU: Seasonic X460 Fanless - $189

Total: $1130 (I've got a monitor, mouse and keyboard already!)

So what do people think? Yes it will crush D3, be pretty quiet and allow room for upgrades (I can easily chuck an uber GFX card in later if I decide I need it) but is it overkill?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

diablo 3 performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo...ark,3195-5.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

as you can see from that any old dual core cpu will handle over 60fps and just a 6770 will to

for low noise take a look at asus 7770 1g cu $150-170

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD...irectCU/25.html

the 3750k should last you a while if you wish to play other games in the future

Fractal Design Define Mini is nice but dont be fooled by the name its still a big case

if you want diablo 3 to load quicker by all means get a ssd

i would try to squeeze a 140mm hsf into the tj08

maybe this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18073

but it will be snug

http://www.overclock.net/t/1068487/silvers...0#post_14372728

http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/s...08-e/index_eng4

From all reports, an SSD is beneficial with D3. The reports (And reports alone. Not confirmed by blizzard) are that when you encounter new monsters/sounds, it has to load it from the mpq file. SSD has a faster access, and you get less stutter when those events happen. However, it's not critical. I don't run SSD and I find lag a bigger killer than the stutter.

AD

Thanks again Dasa,

Those Asus cards do look quiet, and they do make a 6850 with the same cooling solution on it which I think is a bit better bang for buck. It's just a little bit harder to find. I've just emailed PCCG to see if they can get me one. Or am I better just going with a 7770? On the flip side, Asus also do a 6770 with the same cooler...

The TJ08 is W - 210mm x H - 374mm x D - 385mm

The Fractal Mini is W - 210 x H - 395mm x D - 490mm

So thanks for pointing out the size difference, I'll stick with the Silverstone as it's more compact. I should be able to get that HSF into the case, I'm not putting an enormous card in, and the rest should be fairly compact. I'll have a good read through those posts and see what I can come up with!

SSD is still a maybe, I'll have to have a think about it. I can always throw one in later if I feel the need!

Cheers

Dave

7770 uses less power than 6850 and 6770 so it can probably run the fan on the same heatsink at a lower rpm

the 6770 at under $100 would still keep d3 over 60fps so thats fine if you want to save some cash

but the performance difference between 7770 and 6850 is very little if you want a faster card for other games maybe look at 7850 2g oc 975mhz $269

hmm the ambient occlusion setting with nvidia never made much difference in games i tried it on but it seems to help diablo 3 a fair bit guess its not hard to improve on such a bland looking game

http://international.download.nvidia.com/g...mparison-1.html

Haha a mate of mine built a big system for d3. Turns out it plays on his and bulldozer media center at 60fps easy.

I say don't scrimp unless you have to. You'll appreciate it when you play another, more graphically intensive game

It's totally not worth it. D3 is really quite dull.

Then again, I thought D2 was quite dull. Carry on.

Hmmmm ok, so a few tweaks,

I think I'm better off going with the Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU over the fanless one. Bit louder, but cheaper and higher output in case I want to put in a massive card later on.

Reviews on the 7770 aren't crash hot, and I can probably grab a 6870 for cheaper which will outperform it slightly. However to make things more annoying I do believe that the ambient occlusion setting with the nVidia cards looks pretty good...which leads me to ask, where to start looking in the nVidia range of card. Thoughts on a ~$160 560 1Gb?

Cheers

gtx550ti will perform around 6770

gtx560 around 6850

gtx560ti above 6870

the nvidia cards use more power so will require better cooling to stay really quiet

the 460w psu you first listed will handle more powerful gpu just fine especially in a case like the tj08 with great airflow

if you want a cheaper psu take a peak at antec 450w platinum $105 as the lower power use will save you a bit over time if you use it a lot or seasonic x 560 (cheaper than 460) as its fan will completely stop when under low load which with that pc means it will probably never start

Again thanks for all the help guys, especially Dasa who seems to live on the board...

I like the Seasonic x560 as it gives me a bit more head room in the power department. The 7700 is recommended to have a 500w PSU and the gtx560 only 450w. I'm assuming they base this on the worst common denominator PSU about though, so we probably would get away with the 460 fanless but...

Been trying to find a noise comparison of the Asus HD7770 1GB direct CU vs the Asus gtx560 1GB direct CU. I can get them both packing the same cooler. Would it be safe to assume that the nVidia chip will run hotter and therefore the fan will need to spin faster? However, with everything else in the system running so quietly, perhaps I could take a (very minor?? - but no data to base this on) hit to get Ambient Occlusion from nVidia.

I saw on PCCG that they had some Noise Reduction Kit with rubber thingos to mount fans and HDD's have you guys had any experience with these I thought for only $12 it might be worth a crack, although I'm still scratching my head about the rubber fan mount things. Do they replace screws or go in as well as screws...

Thanks again!

gpu power use http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

7770 ~67w

gtx560 ~163w

Thanks mate, how do we actually translate that to a noise figure though? It's really anyones guess is it not? I was thinking a decent priced 560 was looking quite appealing. Surely if everything else is as temperature/power efficient as possible, I can afford some slack for the GPU?

Dave

My Gigabyte GTX560 OC is very quiet in a Bitfenix Shinobi. I guess the models with custom coolers are always better than reference design.

Edited by cohmoddersolo

Custom coolers tend to be much quieter than the reference but some custom coolers are quire atrocious when it comes to cooling.

About graphics, I'd pick up the GTX560 TI if you can. Decent power and still enough grunt to run rings around most stuff.

My trusty gtx560ti is keeping up with my i5 3570 system fine. Only bf3 pushes it and I can still get 50-70 fps on ultra at 1080p. I turn a few things off though and can then get 70ish allowing me to turn on vsync and hold a solid 60fps. Everything else runs excellent (Diablo, skyrim, mass effect 3, mw3).

Bonus is when I sli, bf3 gets about 80-120 fps ;)

Damn it Dasa, I was on that site looking for a review like that and somehow missed it, I do promise I'm not completely useless and have sought info elsewhere! However good find. That one reviewed is the same cooler as on the Asus gtx560 1GB direct CU.

However I've decided to sod the nVidia chips and just go with a Sapphire 7850 2GB OC - centrecom has them the cheapest and are my preferred shop.

All my problems are pretty much solved, I just had one more question about SSD's. I know the Sandisk's are fairly new to the market, but for a simple 120GB system + commonly used programs drive, the SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB will do the trick yes?

So the final build looks a little like this...

CPU: i5 3570K - $241

MOBO: AsRock Z77 Ext 4-M - $145

Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 - $79

RAM: G-Skill Sniper F3 2 x 4gb - $60

GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $255

SSD: Sandisk 120GB - $129

HDD: WD Black 1TB - $135

DVD-R/W: Pioneer Black DVD-R/W - $25

Case: Silverstone TJ08-E - $99

PSU: Seasonic X560 Modular - $175

Total: $1442

Should be a pretty punchy, yet quiet little rig, much like my PC Maniacs Fragbox I had a couple of years back!

To be bought from both Centrecom and PCCG.

Thoughts?

That looks pretty sweet to me. The Sandisk drives use the same Sandforce controller as Intel, Kingston and Patriot etc and they are a huge player in flash memory so I couldn't see any reason not to get one. So I did :).

The question I'll ask is "Will Ivy Bridge be worth the extra?" For me, Sandy Bridge is quite enough which will save some money. Here's my suggestion for a minibox

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K - $229

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Motherboard - $139

Graphics: HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB - $265

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $65

SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB OR Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD Retail Box With Mounting Kit - $119/$199

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX - $135

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - $75

Optical: Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW - $25

Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - $99

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini - $119

PSU: Corsair TX-750M Modular Power Supply - $165

Total: $1432 (Sandisk)/$1512 (Samsung)

Now, I've included the Samsung as it is actually quite an interesting SSD. Fast (matches the Sandforce in performance) plus good reliability (I haven't heard of a Samsung SSD problem) makes it an interesting alternative if you don't want the Sandforce problems. Also, I noticed the Corsair matching the price for more power so having that won't be too much of a problem. Cooling wise, I suggest the Noctua as they have been proven on this forum and elsewhere. Worst case means you might replace the fans with slightly faster ones.

$12 more for the equivalent CPU with new architecture is a bit of a bargain and unless you plan on some serious OCing the Ivy will run cooler and more efficiently though

why get a 750w psu just because you can? it will just waist power and you end up with an inferior product

things i have done with a corsair tx 750w psu

run two 4870x2 and a 3.9ghz q9450

run a 5ghz 2600k and two heavily overclocked gtx480 which are the most power hungry gpu ever

now doesnt a psu that is capable of that seem just a tiny bit over the top for a gpu that uses 6x less power than what i listed above

why get a 750w psu just because you can? it will just waist power and you end up with an inferior product

things i have done with a corsair tx 750w psu

run two 4870x2 and a 3.9ghz q9450

run a 5ghz 2600k and two heavily overclocked gtx480 which are the most power hungry gpu ever

now doesnt a psu that is capable of that seem just a tiny bit over the top for a gpu that uses 6x less power than what i listed above

Good point but honestly speaking, having some power headway is better compared to a small headway then trying to overclock CPU/GPU and bam! So yes, I agree if he should change that PSU into something more efficient but it's better to cover the base just in case.