Sign in to follow this  
Tiptopperoo

Diablo III - Mini Box

the seasonic x 460-560w his looking at are enough to handle any 1155 single gpu system with ease unless your running some insane extra gear with it which probably wouldnt fit in that case anyway

they would even be ok with a gtx690 although the 460w fanless may be working harder than you like depending on case airflow with the system overclocked

So at the moment, I'm thinking the Seasonic X-560 is the way to go. Considering I still have fans on both the CPU and GPU, is running a fanless PSU gonna make that much difference? Especially when I doubt I'll be pushing the X-560 much and so it should run fairly quietly.

Next question is RAM. Most people seem to be favoring the G.Skill Ripjaws over the Sniper. As far as I can see it's pretty much the same stuff with a different heatsink and the the sniper runs at a lower voltage and will = cooler? Is the tradeoff a smaller heatsink and less OC ability?

Need to do some research on my CPU heatsink still.

Also now finding more Z77 chipset mATX boards out there so need to play with that still. Really it's all a bit much work!

And I'm also thinking it might be fun to stick a water cooler in there...

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on how it all works out and I'll be asking more questions too!

Edited by Tiptopperoo

Ok thinking has changed to smaller, ITX smaller.

So now the build looks a little something like this...

Case: Silverstone SG08 w/600w PSU (don't think I can change it out, but it should do the trick)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX - Pricey but good reviews thus far

CPU-Cooling: Still researching what air solutions will fit, otherwise the Corsair H80 has been done successfully already.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 (this will do the trick eh? Low profile, and slightly lower voltage. Is there any advantage with 16GB over 8GB unless I'm doing video editing or running a bazillion things at once?)

SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB - More expensive than the Sandisk previously chosen, but not by much and I think it's sposed to be faster...

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

GPU: Dunno really, see what cash I have left over, but I'm thinking at least an HD 7850

ODD: I'll use my external if I ever need one.

Looking good?

Only concern really is the PSU that comes the SG08 is not as nice as the Seasonic X-650 I was planning to use. I think it will still do the job though and I can change it out later if I really feel the need!

Don't think you'll have any issues running D3 on that.

Guess I'm just not a fan of M-ITX, or anything smaller than standard ATX, if being used in a gaming box.

Rig Built!

Ok so I finally went with...

Case: Silverstone SG08 w/600w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX - Main reason being it could take a decent cooler without interfering with the PCI-e slot, the Asrock board had none confirmed when I wanted to buy.

CPU-Cooling: Noctua C12P-SE14

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - low profile and low voltage

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD

HDD: Hitachi 3TB

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 OC 2GB

ODD: none using external

Monitor: BenQ XL2410T - 23.8" 120hz etc etc.

I also bought a nice new logitech keyboard to top it off.

So basically it went from just build a budget PC for D3 to, lets fit a fair beast into a small case. I'm happy with the results!

Thanks for everyones help, Dasa who helped kick it all off and various others for their input. It's great to have such good resources close at hand!

Also thanks to madllama for being nice enough to sell me a cheap copy of D3 AND hand deliver it to me!

Some pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tiptopperoo

thats one hell of a nice build all crammed into a nice little box

thanks for the pics

Rig Built!

Nice build.

ODD: none using external

Was this for any other reason than your personal choice?

If you wanted was there room etc?

Any issues with airflow? How hot does it run?

Edited by .....

Hi guys,

As far as the ODD goes, yes there is room for one, but I decided I didn't really need one. It has to take a slim line one, and I couldn't be bothered putting one in to begin with. Less cables etc.

As far as temps go, I'm not OC'ing but I'll have a look for you (mobo said 25C while sitting in BIOS, not checked it while running anything as yet, I don't have that monitoring tool installed yet), I do however have an issue.

I'm still running completely stock speeds at the moment, and I had a few random issues and restarts and wasn't sure why exactly, so I thought I'd run Prime 95 and guess what.

First time, 3 cores got going, but 1 core didn't complete the self test, and I get Prime 95: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. So I tried it again, and all cores didn't complete the selftest.

Now I've checked each stick individually, and they both get all cores up and running each time. Where too now? I've also pulled out my GPU for these tests, but don't believe that could have anything to do with it. Perhaps 1 dimm wasn't seated properly?

Thoughts?

Edited by Tiptopperoo

so after removing each the gpu and trying with one stick of ram at a time its stable?

i guess you try with two sticks of ram again then with the gpu back in

run realtemp to make sure the cpu isnt getting to hot under load

Ok, I've removed the GPU.

I've run brief memtests on both DIMM's in both slots individually.

Both DIMM's run P95 fine on their own.

However I then put them back in together and got P95 fails straight away...

I've also now set the MOBO into XMP mode to have the RAM running as it should be. 1600mHz and 9-9-9-24 @ 1.35V

Max temp according to Core Temp 1.0 RC3 is 56C

I'm stumped.

Oh and to make matters better, all 4 cores are running P95 no worries for the past 5 mins which they have never been able to do, both DIMM's are installed!

Edited by Tiptopperoo

so setting xmp has fixed it?

56c is nice in such a small box on air with a quiet hsf

Edited by Dasa

Not fixed. 2 cores have now crashed.

1 core at 22mins, the other at 56mins, 2 still running. This is very weird yes?

What on earth else to do? Run an extended memtest with both DIMM

s or individual DIMM's?

Oh and those temps are with the chassis wide open!

Edited by Tiptopperoo

might be worth setting the ram back to 1333mhz and trying to raise its v to ~1.45v

the other one that might be worth a look is vccio try notch it up a bit with sandy stock is 1.05v and up to 1.15v is considered safe not sure about ivy though

since its stable with one stick of ram try update the bios with just the one stick in

I updated with 2 sticks in to a BIOS released today.

Prime is running now, but it seems very intermittent.

Ran a complete pass of memtest on both DIMM's with no problems.

This ram is sposed to be 1.35v RAM. I'll have a play and see what I can find.

Thanks for all your ongoing help with this Dasa!

And you will be all very pleased to know that I think it was the RAM. New set in after RMA'ing the first (which Scorptec provided excellent customer service with) and Prime and Burntest both running fine!

OC'd to 4GHz and running at 75C max thus far on air.

Cheers

same model of ram kit of did you swap it for another?