GTX560 Pixel Fill rate

Hi guys,

Ive got a Gigabyte GTX560 OC and these are the specs, by GPU-Z

Posted Image

By cohmoddersolo at 2012-05-25

And this is OCAU review specs of the exact same card

Posted Image

By cohmoddersolo at 2012-05-25

Notice that OCAU's card pixel fill rate is 15 GPixels more than mine, though both versions of GPU-Z are different. But if GPU-Z is reading it correctly, is it why I havent been getting the performance I should be getting out of a GTX560 OC?

Does pixel fill rate affects the performance of gaming?

Hmm, that's weird. What really gets me though is that both screenies show 32 ROPs which is what you times by with the Core Clock. Could be a driver related issue? I don't know. :|

As for it's importance. IMO, Texture Fill Rate is more important so don't be too down with the Pixel Fill Rate getting chopped. As logical as it sounds, Pixel Fill Rate simply is number of pixels the card can render to the screen every second. Performance cut? Well it PFR doesn't linearly scale with the performance. Shaders are the more important guys now.

I play the latest games at 1080p, particularly BF3. I do feel that it stutters a bit, even if the FPS counter shows 40-50 FPS (High settings, no v-sync, AA) and its happened since the day I installed the card in and played BF3 with driver 296.10. Just yesterday, I tried to update my driver, uninstalled it, then when I ran the installer for the latest driver (301.42) it said that it wasn't able to install anything, so I used Windows Update and downloaded the driver off that, but still there hasnt been any improvements whatsoever. I do think that pixel fill rate affect HD gaming, but I thought that I would download GPU-Z 0.5.3 and see if the results where any different and....

Posted Image By cohmoddersolo at 2012-05-25

Just realised that the driver I downloaded off Microsoft Update is not the latest one (301.42). Instead its 295.73. Hmmm...

Edited by cohmoddersolo

It seems Im still confused about it. Ill read through the threads tomorrow as I can barely keep my eyes open now. Thanks for assisting me raradawg.

Ok so the conclusion I come to is simple. My GPU isnt powerful enough. Plus, Ive only got a dual core i3-2100, Single channel 4GB RAM. Oh well...

you useing aa?

if its stuttering lowering texture detail may help

anything under 60fps will never be totally smooth

Edited by Dasa

you useing aa?

if its stuttering lowering texture detail may help

anything under 60fps will never be totally smooth

Nope, no AA. Turned resolution down to 1650x1050p, all on High, V-sync on, AA off. Hopefully I can upgrade soon after I sell a few stuff. Thanks for helping guys.

if lowering texture quality to medium helped reduce stutter you could probably get memory usage down enough by tweaking windows to put it back up to high or just get a second stick of ram which will also help cpu performance a bit

overclocking the gpu would help a bit to depending how much is in it

not sure if you can adjust the turbo frequency or up the bclk at all with your mb

Its now at 1080p, Medium textures, all the rest high, no AA and V-sync on. I must say its really unstable. fps goes from 70 down to 30 in highly populated areas and heavy firefights...

fps dipping close to 30fps on a budget pc is to be expected though :)

even a fairly decent pc can strungle to maintain a solid 60fps in bf3

so did lowering texture detail reduce stutters? or did it make no difference to the performance

fps dipping close to 30fps on a budget pc is to be expected though :)

even a fairly decent pc can strungle to maintain a solid 60fps in bf3

so did lowering texture detail reduce stutters? or did it make no difference to the performance

less stutter, but not as smooth as it should be. I can just feel that split millisecond freeze in gameplay... Overall, it increased performance. Thanks for the suggestion, Dasa.

hey Dasa, sorry to not get back to you sooner but Its running fine now. I havent done any tweaks whatsoever but it just seem to run fine. Better than before. Thanks mate.