Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Lightbulbs are not so safe

We had a Electrician in our house today to put new switches and one of these new Lightbulbs was playing up. He told us these new globes are deadly if they break or crack something about the dust inside being i think Mercury or magnesium being very deadly. He said if the bulbs blows just leave the room fast the dust can spread into four rooms very fast as its a very light dust ,and take your clothes off and dump them. He said the cheap globes are way too cheap they crack and blow after 3 months and stay away from supermarket brands they are the worse.

The globe he saw that was playing up the starter inside was not working properly and flashing he showed me the globe and said this will crack soon look at where the glass and metal meet its looking very black there.

This kinda make me wanna just throw these damn bulbs in the bin if they are so dangerous. Heavy Metal in these globes are worse than the old filament globes. Good one Greenies.

so just don't break them? they don't explode if thats what you think is going to happen, we have had them for about 5-6 years now and have been enjoying the rather large savings plus the fact they last about 10x longer.

Didn't we have a thread about this a while back?

We've started replacing those fluro bulbs with LED ones, the fluro ones were actually found to be emitting dangerous particles even when not broken but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details now. :)

I think it was This?

Edited by Director

If you're playing up mercury in CFLs, then you weren't thinking very clearly when you bought them. Compact Fluorescent Lamps . Think about that for half a second. Yes, that's the same 'fluorescent' that gets shortened to 'fluoro tube' - those things that tend to get buzzy in cheap motels. Those thing you try very hard not to be anywhere near when they break.

You're also about a half a decade by the MSM on the panicky headless chook routine.

you're not supposed to even throw them in the bin, you're supposed to be a good citizen and take then to a proper waste transfer station to be disposed of correctly.

It sucks how you have to take some guy at his word about some vague but scary sounding thing. If only there was some method for researching things like this without having to go and chase down multiple experts individually.

you're not supposed to even throw them in the bin, you're supposed to be a good citizen and take then to a proper waste transfer station to be disposed of correctly.

That's the same for the majority of electronics as well. You're not supposed to throw out old PC parts, doesn't stop people buying PCs!

It sucks how you have to take some guy at his word about some vague but scary sounding thing. If only there was some method for researching things like this without having to go and chase down multiple experts individually.

maybe there is method in his madness, by posting his fears here, a hundred people will set him straight.

It's not like he has a blog or anything.

Going to the libary is very difficult, though.

It would be great if I could access a large information data base from the comfort of my bedroom.

Rob.

A few have broken in my house. I grab two plastic bags, wrap them around my hand, pull out the remaining globe and bin it in the bag. I have heard about the mercury vapours and am aware that they aren't healthy for us. So far I'm still healthy enough but I'll let you know if I get cancer in the future.

BTW - everything seems to be harmful yet we're still living longer than ever on average.

If you're scared by the minute amount of mercury in a CFL, then the idea that these exist must terrify you:

Same here - probably had 5-6 replacements, mix of cheap and good brand names and none were spectacular fails.

Most spectacular fail I've had is an incandescent. It popped, the bulb separated from the base and fell to the carpet with the still red hot filament contained within.

Cool Edison Video.

I have had quite a few break...but im not the most delicate person... (also I heard on the Borgia that Mrcury salts cures what ails ya) I have had about 5 hanging around waiting for me to do the right thing and dispose of them at the council properly.... problem is why should i have to make these specialty trips? Should have a specialy recycle bin for Lightbulbs, E-waste, and Batteries, apart from the Cardboard and glass one.

There is a Global Conspiricay regarding light bulbs too.....makes me wonder why we even stopped using the old school filament which gives the nicest light.

Planned obsolescence is surely different from planning limited lifecycles before it breaks?

There is a Global Conspiricay regarding light bulbs too.....makes me wonder why we even stopped using the old school filament which gives the nicest light.

Planned obsolescence is not exactly news. Consumption (consumerism) kinda the foundation of modern western economies, after all.

Have an upvote! Wait this isn't reddit...

Planned obsolescence is not exactly news. Consumption (consumerism) kinda the foundation of modern western economies, after all.

I know that....i dont even believe that planned obsolescene is practiced now days. Simply because it is better to have long term returning customers for corporations....unless prehaps there is a monopoly in play.

The point was that the old school light bulbs work really well.. ...the only reason to dump them was power consumption....but the complexity of materials...not so much mechanical complexity....i beleive over takes the power saving element with fluro globes..

Planned obsolescence has been superseded by Made in China, ie whatever you buy is likely to fall apart before the next model comes out.

Maybe Mythbusters could test this one out - it'd be more interesting than some of the crap they've been putting on lately. And Tory's already a braindead cunt, a couple of grams of heavy metal ingestion won't make much difference.

Edited by Rybags

Planned obsolescence has been superseded by Made in China, ie whatever you buy is likely to fall apart before the next model comes out.

Maybe Mythbusters could test this one out - it'd be more interesting than some of the crap they've been putting on lately. And Tory's already a braindead cunt, a couple of grams of heavy metal ingestion won't make much difference.

Send it to them, they're hurting for ideas, judging by the number of "best of" "revisited" and "answering letters" episodes lately.

so it's just not me then, Mythbusters has turned from one of my favorite, must watch, TV shows

to meh, I wonder what else is on, or I just couldn't be fucked

shame

but yeh, send it to them, it just might make for an interesting episode.

They seem to have waves of quality.

They started out awesome, then went a few years with "lets blow this up with C4!", then back to good experiments like opening a door in a sinking car, now on the decline again.