TheFrunj

46 Issues: Time to hang up my hat

After 46 issues, my time at Atomic comes to a close.

This was not an easy decision, but it was a decision that I had to make for personal reasons - in other words it's not you guys, it's me.

What started as the dream job for an 18 year old quickly ballooned into the start of a potential career as a pro Journalist. In my time at the magazine I have had the opportunity to do many things that thought I would never, including many trips overseas, interviewing celebrities, and getting my hands on hardware that I would not have otherwise been able to afford.

I kept most of my raw magazine files organised by issue, which has allowed me to collect the word counts and present them as the wonderful graphs you see below (odd things like section intros, some gearbox pages, other bits of typing that I didn’t wind up saving are sadly not included). Though most of my close friends and family know what happened to me, I don't feel that it is appropriate to share the full story with the world. However, you can probably tell when it happened from the below (keep in mind that this is just the magazine work, and is not the work that I did for the website, PC Authority, or Kitlog online).

Posted Image

An average word per Issue in my first year was 11,430. Of course in practice this wasn’t the amount I wrote every single month, due to researching features and other bits and pieces (such as events and travel). Second year I managed to up that by only a handful, hitting 11,606wpy.

Then uh, my averages dropped a bit to 1,494 and 2,043 for the other two years. Not for lack of trying though, let me tell you!

Posted Image

And another graph, because we all know that you love them so much! In my first year I wrote 137,161 words. My second year was again slightly better at 139,270 words written for the magazine. My third year was 17,926, and the almost-fourth year was 24,516.

Number geeks can see a copy of the excel file containing this data here (hosted on Dropbox, because it’s wonderful (referral to sign up and give me more Db space here)), with a shout-out to the dev of CountAnything that automagically counted the files for me, and I hope this gives some kind of insight into the amount of writing we tech journos get up to.

I'd like to thank Haymarket Media Australia for taking a chance on hiring me and being so supportive during my time on the mag. I’ll always have a special place on my C: drive for Atomic.

Though I am no longer working for the magazine (Thursday 31 May is my last day), I am sure I will still continue to contribute to the community. And this does not rule out the potential of future freelance work!

But for now, I will be concentrating on improving my health and, eventually, my full return to form.

Woah, sad to see you go man, but hopefully some time away from the mag will allow you to recover your health a bit faster.

I'm sure we will see some freelance stuff from you in the future :)

The magazine isn't worth reading now.....

Best of luck with your future work things.

Of course we'll still see you around here, so it's not a proper goodbye.

Will they change your title to Fallen God?

Hey Justin,

With what you're going through, I'm proud you were able to stick it out as long as you did, I hope that this new chance for you to focus more on your health really helps.

I hope you stick around the forums, you were a member here before you started working for Haymarket!

I'll miss your writing style man.

Hey Justin,

With what you're going through, I'm proud you were able to stick it out as long as you did, I hope that this new chance for you to focus more on your health really helps.

I hope you stick around the forums, you were a member here before you started working for Haymarket!

I'll miss your writing style man.

Yep this, loved reading your articles, Make sure you stick around and finish off that system you were building a so long ago but never ended up finishing and stick around to keep these tech sections alive.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That means no more wonderful talking about tech at random meets. God speed Justin. :)

Best of luck mate.. :)

hope you left the keys to the facebook page to david with clear instructions to feed us regularly. :D

:( :( :(

Get better asap, and cheers for the hard work over the years

Justin has been, without a doubt, one of the best people I've ever worked with. I really can't think of anything else to say.

You'll be missed.

brb walking Justin from the building with his tub full of random cables and broken GPU's.

Oh, and Justin's last feature for the mag, in issue 138, is an epic piece, and fitting send off.

Thanks for the well wishes all ^_^

The magazine isn't worth reading now.....

Honestly I don't agree, Atomic has and will continue to have some of the finest tech writers around - Jake Carroll, Ashton Mills, Dan Rutter, plus the fulltime staff of Matt Wilson, John Gillooly...the list goes on. The mag will still shine, trust me :)

Make sure you stick around and finish off that system you were building a so long ago but never ended up finishing and stick around to keep these tech sections alive.

Yeah, I really hope I'll have the energy to do something with it now. It's still in pieces in a box next to my bed.

hope you left the keys to the facebook page to david with clear instructions to feed us regularly. :D

Sure did, he's been an admin for a while, so the page still has a zookeeper :P

brb walking Justin from the building with his tub full of random cables and broken GPU's.

They threw out most of my dead GPUs when they moved the labs :'( Still got my random tangled cables though, I can spend my newfound free time untangling them!

Oh, and Justin's last feature for the mag, in issue 138, is an epic piece, and fitting send off.

Thanks DH! I think readers will like that one :)

It's been a journey man, and I think we're all better for it.

Certainly hope you're up for bigger and better things now.

(Some guy tipped me off yesterday!)

Certainly hope you're up for bigger and better things now.

(Some guy tipped me off yesterday!)

Well, not now, but hopefully later :)

I have an inkling as to who - guessing it's WHS2011 related. Bit unfortunate I couldn't get that tute done :(

Glhf Justin.

It's a shame it takes something like the to make Craig pop up again :o

Sad to see you go Justin. Look forward to your new PC and your future informative articles.

Hope to see you soon, at full health.

all the best dude been reading your articles for many years.

stop in and let us know what you get up to in the future!!

All the best and good luck with getting your health back on track, whatever it may be.

:(

Thanks for all your work, mate!

Your health if of paramount importance and I think everyone here will support you, working for the mag or not!

I will kill some hardware in your name!