strifus

audio and video stopping and starting

I just upgraded my machine a few days ago. Its running a treat, except for one thing; Video Playback. I was going through the videos on my HDDs and came up with this problem. The video, and audio, seems to stop and start. First, video will stop and audio will continue and then audio stops. After a few seconds it resets back to normal again, almost like it resyncs itself. It happens for almost all the videos I have played so far, from a variety of codecs. If any of you have ideas, let me know.

Btw, if this is in the wrong section, please move it on. Ta. Now off to work....on a Saturday..... :(

EDIT: It also does that on audio tracks.

Edited by strifus

I Had this did my freaken head in.

I ended up updating my hard drive firm ware, reinstalling my GPU drivers and updating my BIOS.

one of those fixed it im pretty sure.

The players I tried, so far, are Windows Media Player 12 and Media Player Classic. Apparently, while trying to watch a Blu-ray movie while I was at work, she said the same thing was happening in that player as well. So, I dont think its player related. Ill try alex's suggestion tonight and see if it fixes anything.

I am just wondering something. Could power supply, or lack there of, be the cause of this problem?? I am just wondering out loud here.

Good point! Also could be ram issues and swap/cache setings.

Memtest86+ is a goos free prog to test ram.

Does the $user/$program have the permissions to write to the file?

there may be other contributors...

regards Glenn

<edit>if all your hardware is new then check the connections

by (r&r) removing and replacing components like the ram and graphics cards.while powered off(of course) and unplugged.</edit>

Edited by GlennsPref

If you've changed video card manufacturers you should scrub out any previous references pretty hard. Old drivers can interfere somewhat.

If you've changed video card manufacturers you should scrub out any previous references pretty hard. Old drivers can interfere somewhat.

As can those godawful codec packs people insist on installing, although that shouldn't affect Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which I hope is the one you are using as the original MPC is now very old.

An update:

I have since upgraded my GFX from the 570 to the 670, as well as a case upgrade. A reinstall of Windows 7 later, and there was no hint of the problem after that. Its been about 2 months now since then and the problems still havent reoccured. Its possible that its a problem with the gfx card itself. Whether it was or not, I dont really care anymore. But really, I dont think it couldve just been the graphics card considering that it was working fine till I reinstalled windows. SO who knows. >.<