ghoullees

Who do I need to shoot . . . . .

So I bought the PC version of Batman Arkham City on Steam yesterday ( despite already owning the Xbox version ). While the XBox is great for a distraction, being in the 'common space' in the house kinda detracts from the experience and immersion. I loved the game so much, I wanted to love it at its full potential, on the PC.

And by god what a great game. Playing it again has just reminded me what a great effort Rocksteady did with this game.

..... until, lo an behold, Games for Windows Live! rears its ugly head ( despite the fact Steam can do all the same functions seemlessly and without intrusion ). Passwords need to be 'reset', new security questions answered, and after 5 different attempted log ins due to 'unknown' errors, I finally get to play the game I paid for.

WHO DO I NEED TO SHOOT TO NEVER SEE GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE (GFWL) EVER, EVER AGAIN! Nothing makes my excitement for any new game, even the most anticipated game, irreversibly limp when attached or even whispered next to GFWL.

Developers, lets get it straight. You do NOT want to put barriers between yourself, and your gamers, nor your gamers from their game ( Looking at you too Blizzard and Diablo ). The harder you squeeze control out of gamers, the faster that piece of soap shoots from your hands. And the more developers try to control, the more gaming distribution regresses.

Ease up.

Save yourselves the time and hassle, and just put your damn games on Steam and be done with it! Steam works, because it doesn't try. And it doesn't impose anything, but a fair and equal platform for all developers. Only greedy distributors would disagree ( yes you, EA ).

Plus also, if anything goes wrong with GFWL, saves gets corrupted as well. I know all too well thanks to F1 2011. Luckily, GFWL is dying off as most are moving onto Steamworks or other evils (*glares at Origin*).

I've never had any major problems with GFWL, but I will admit that I have had more problems with it than I have with steam. Which indicates its still a piece of shit and I too would be happy to not see it used again, however, having said that, it doesn't stop me from buying games that use it.

Could've just used an offline account.

Single player game, still get to save.

Problem solved.

Not saying I like GFWL (my GFWL ID is GFWLTERRIBAD), but an offline account would've saved you much grief.

Edited by Ezkaton

I've started GTA IV twice, and lose my save games both times, F1 2011 never remembers anything (controller and car setup), and Red Faction: Guerilla I've had to start again as it lost everything

I have never had a GFWL game ever work 100% when it comes to saving everything

I've only lost saves when re-installing windows and even then, when following some crafty guides I was able to get them working again.

It seems very much that its one of those programs that will either give you heaps of grief, or cause very few problems. Luckily I'm in the latter.

I've only lost saves when re-installing windows and even then, when following some crafty guides I was able to get them working again.

It seems very much that its one of those programs that will either give you heaps of grief, or cause very few problems. Luckily I'm in the latter.

This. I've only had fallout 3 and dawn of war 2 through GFWL but had very few problems with either. Apart from the initial install of DLC to Fallout which crashed the game until you updated the GFWL client.

Plus also, if anything goes wrong with GFWL, saves gets corrupted as well. I know all too well thanks to F1 2011. Luckily, GFWL is dying off as most are moving onto Steamworks or other evils (*glares at Origin*).

Still haven't had a problem with Origin.

Download them. Dont give them your money. Id rather donate money to skidrow.

That's awfully generous of you, twents, but I'm not sure its' fair to ask you to pay for all of us to play the game.

Still haven't had a problem with Origin.

So you haven't had the issue where your game gets locked out whenever the servers need updating or the fact that you need to be online to do a single player game? I would love to be in that fantasy?