Sign in to follow this  
fajw

'System is running in Fail-Safe State. Please recheck - BIOS CMOS SETUP'

I keep getting the message 'System is running in Fail-Safe State. Please recheck - BIOS CMOS SETUP' during POST and I have to either press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup. I have tried loading the Fail-Safe defaults and Optimised Defaults and I have tried lots of modification of the settings but I still get this message and I don't know how to stop it. Motherboard is Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (socket 939). Any ideas?

Motherboard is Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (socket 939). Any ideas?

Your Bios (CMOS) battery is flat. Replace it with a new one. Should be a CR2032 available from most newsagents and supermarkets.

Ditto to aliali, in case you were doubting him

Extra proof - does your clock reset if you unplug the power for more than a few seconds? If the answer is yes, your CMOS battery is dead.

must be a pretty old system.......

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (socket 939) so ye it is.

:P

must be a pretty old system.......

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (socket 939) so ye it is.

:P

aah! didn't notice that

yeh, well there you go......that board's about 7 years old

I've never experienced a CMOS battery actually going flat on any of the comps that I've bought new, those little batteries keep working for many, many years, and I keep my comps running 24/7 - amazing really

a few comps that I've found on the side of the road have had that problem, and a couple of ancient laptops that should have been tossed years ago

at least they aren't expensive, my scales use the same type of battery, it cost me about $5.00 for a pack of 4x of them

I've never experienced a CMOS battery actually going flat on any of the comps that I've bought new, those little batteries keep working for many, many years, and I keep my comps running 24/7 - amazing really

On modernish PCs pretty sure if mains power is kept on the battery is not used for keeping the CMOS settings, I think it only kicks in with loss of mains power. This is why you have to turn off mains power when doing a CMOS reset.

At least the customer PCs I see with flat batteries all seem to be ones that are turned off at the power point when not in use.

So reckon that's why you don't see it.

Well theres a reason why theres a on and off switch located on most PSUs nowadays. Would have to shut down the PC, switch off the PSU, switch off the main then unplug the PSU cable, nothing major really.

From previous experience, think I only had a 486's battery go dead, lol.