Sign in to follow this  
justo316

120Hz Monitors (Samsung S27A950D)

Wow.

Took the plunge today and picked up one of these Samsung 120Hz monitors. It's gorgeous. If you spend a lot of time on your PC, do yourself a favor and get on the 120Hz bandwagon.

I primarily bought it for gaming. My rig can push past 60fps a lot of the time so I thought I would benefit. I didn't realize just how much. I've been playing Battlefield for the past few hours and optimizing my settings so I can get well above 60fps. I find anything above about 80fps is sweet. I'm not the best shot around, but damn, this monitor made me better. I find with the ability to see more frames, I can see targets better when I'm trailing them as I'm shooting. I am normally a stop, fire, readjust, fire again, readjust, fire once more, kind of person. With this monitor, I was instinctively following targets as they moved because I could see them better. Just running/driving/flying around is a sight to behold (literally).

Outside of gaming, you really can feel the difference just mucking around in windows. Everything is smoother. Everything feels snappier. My rig's new, but this makes it feel newer ;)

I don't know what a good monitor is supposed to look like in terms of screen quality, but going by what others have said, this one looks great. I always spend a bit of time trying to calibrate my monitors via the Windows tool and this one was easily the best looking one out of all 4 monitors I have now, and also the 3 I've had prior.

I was interested in the 3D aspect of this monitor. I'll begin by saying don't bother getting it for 3D if you have an Nvidia card. I know there are supposedly "workarounds" to get 3DVision working, but they are so fucking annoying to get working, when I eventually got it setup, my game crashed so I just ditched the whole idea altogether. The built in 3D is about what I would have expected from 3D technology so far. It's not fantastic, and it strains my eyes, but it kinda works, and kinda looks cool sometimes.

This is the kind of monitor that makes all your photos look crap because they aren't good quality enough. I'm (half) serious hahahaha, one of the first things I noticed when looking at some of my photos was that this monitor brought out all the imperfections in them!

Edited by justo316

Yeah I have one of these too; fantastic monitor and as you say 120Hz is a revalation, esp in FPS games. I got a 7970 primarily so I could get (as you say) 80+ frames.

Yeah I have one of these too; fantastic monitor and as you say 120Hz is a revalation, esp in FPS games. I got a 7970 primarily so I could get (as you say) 80+ frames.

is 120mhz really that good? What about for normal tasks like using Word and web research? Will it reduce my eye strain?

How is the 1920x1080 resolution at 27-inches? I have a 23-inch monitor with that resolution and I found it fine, but I'd be wary of stretching out that resolution over such a large panel.

is 120mhz really that good? What about for normal tasks like using Word and web research? Will it reduce my eye strain?

no, lcd monitors don't have a refresh rate for mostly static pages like word/internet. a white pixel stays as a white pixel, a black pixel stays as a black pixel, why would it have to change?

Nice buy Justo I bet your loving it :D.

I bought AOC 27" 1920x1080p LED at MSY for $260, I was loving it too. For me it was a great purchase and no probs at all. Massive difference over 22" and 24"screens . 1080 res on 27" is perfect for me.

the annoying thing is since my last monitor was a 27", I can't go smaller anymore.....So I'll slowly replace my leftover 22" and 24" with 27's as new stuff comes out to try :P

As ninja said for general use, it's pointless. It only makes a difference when gaming and doing other fast changing rendering tasks.

I disagree with the above post. I find it works great to reduce eye strain. I have been switching between working 12 hours for 2-3 weeks on a 60hz monitor, then coming home for a week and using my 120hz monitor and finding the 120 reduced much of the eye strain i was getting using the 60hz screen.

I disagree with the above post. I find it works great to reduce eye strain. I have been switching between working 12 hours for 2-3 weeks on a 60hz monitor, then coming home for a week and using my 120hz monitor and finding the 120 reduced much of the eye strain i was getting using the 60hz screen.

Are you sure it's not the other properties of the monitor? I suppose 120 could reduce eye strain in theory tho...

Are you sure it's not the other properties of the monitor? I suppose 120 could reduce eye strain in theory tho...

Cheers wraith676

Yeah that was my feeling as well, at least in theory. I did suspect that there may be some general benefit. Interesting. Does warrant more research. Other factors that I do know make a difference is a matte screen over a glossy screen (a reason I hated working with Macs), as well as having background lighting on.

It could be a combination of factors, agreed. However I will stand by what I said. :)

120hz monitors are absolutely brilliant and I just wished that they started making them for higher resolutions (for the 27" + sizes.)

I checked out a 1920x1080 27-inch monitor at Harvey Norman on the weekend. I can understand that it would be perfectly usable, it fares much better than I expected stretching 1080p to that size.

The moment I put that monitor next to my 2560x1440 27-inch monitor I just know I'd find the 1080p display unusable :P

I currently get annoyed when I can't run games at 60 frames per second. If my monitor no longer limited me to 60fps, I just know that I'd get annoyed at anything under 120fps! :P

I guess I'd be forever playing Source games and only Source games.

Buy a second GPU ninja ;) And I'd try out 120 Hz before being sure it reduces eye strain GFK. Love it for gaming, but have not noticed any change in eye-strain (not that I get it much) with 120 FPS.

I notice a huge difference between the 100hz of my old 19" Sony trinitron, and the 60hz Samsung 24" BX2450.

If I had the cash, I would jump on a 120hz monitor in a heartbeat.

Why is that a problem? I think video cards do the same amount.

Hmm it appears i must have been smoking crack when i wrote that, you are right. Disregard my previous comment. :D

There is superior colour depth ('deep colour') but I'm not sure how widely supported it is or if anyone could tell the difference.