Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
tmac7

Post your Projects!

Oh, and fit one of these to my bike:

Posted Image

One of the guys in the office beat me to it, sounds fantastic :D

Lol that sounds like a freight train!

On an unrelated note, how do you find the bike? I have been without a bike for a few months now and am contemplating getting a sports tourer sometime soon. I gather something like that is great for long trips, but what about commuting and twisty mountain roads?

Oh, thats not my bike. I've got a GS500.

FWIW, goes well :)

(And I just ordered the horn. If I can't fit it dead on front of my bike, i'm going to get a second one and mount them facing on a forward angle on each side of the bike :D )

I currently have an old Landcruiser at home I am fixing up to become a camping / weekend sort of trip ute for a bit of fun. I also have my 4x4 Hilux which JUST shit its gearbox, so I'll be changing that out some time soon also.

These two jobs currently are consuming most of my time, as I only travel back to where they are located every second weekend or so...!

I currently have an old Landcruiser at home I am fixing up to become a camping / weekend sort of trip ute for a bit of fun. I also have my 4x4 Hilux which JUST shit its gearbox, so I'll be changing that out some time soon also.

These two jobs currently are consuming most of my time, as I only travel back to where they are located every second weekend or so...!

Look into getting the gearbox from the turbo or v6, its a stronger box from memory.

Finished these off last night - Really looking into this as a full-time business

Doooooooooooooooooode sales are that good? Wow and good on you.

Finished these off last night - Really looking into this as a full-time business

Doooooooooooooooooode sales are that good? Wow and good on you.

Within about 15 minutes of putting the photo up on Facebook last night, 2 of them sold for 50 (I'm asking 30) - I really need to think about my pricing. The others would of sold, except two of them were sold before I even began making them, and one of them has a fault

Combine the pen making with the handyman service I want to kick off, and I'll be able to make money even when I'm not working

Within about 15 minutes of putting the photo up on Facebook last night, 2 of them sold for 50 (I'm asking 30) - I really need to think about my pricing. The others would of sold, except two of them were sold before I even began making them, and one of them has a fault

Combine the pen making with the handyman service I want to kick off, and I'll be able to make money even when I'm not working

Damn are people that desperate for personalised pens? Amazing! Go for it. :-)

currently working on a prop for my daughters calisthetics club. Going to be 1.8mtr x 1.8mtr haunted house/mansion.

Just got the mdf sheets last night so hopefully I'll have the outline done in the next few days.

On the backburner (cause of the above) I am currently building another rocket. It's called "I'm Batman", designed around the Batwing.

I'm currently, as in right this moment installing Windows, on my x48 Tri Fire project. Which will be detailed in Tech shortly.

Also fixing my sisters POS Lancer that hasn't got an intact water jacket anywhere and hopefully buying a cheap 300zx that needs some work very, very soon.

Oh and trying to 100% complete Fable 2 and 3.

Launching a magazine.

What kind of magazine are you thinking about?

Within about 15 minutes of putting the photo up on Facebook last night, 2 of them sold for 50 (I'm asking 30) - I really need to think about my pricing.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do they cost you to put together, and how long does each one take you?

Within about 15 minutes of putting the photo up on Facebook last night, 2 of them sold for 50 (I'm asking 30) - I really need to think about my pricing.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do they cost you to put together, and how long does each one take you?

Lot of influences, so can be hard to judge

For a pen like this, base cost I am looking at 4 to 6 bucks for a blank (The plastic bit which gives the colors - Some go up to 20 or 30 bucks as well, and some even more for really rare african woods etc), and usually a pack of parts to do 5 pens for $32 (For these clickies - My usual twist streamlines are about 15 a 5 pack) - So about 13 each

During manufacturing, I go through a fair bit of araldite, various colored paints, black and white spray cans, blu-tak, bamboo skewers, sandpaper, cutting compounds, Post-It notes, cotton tips, etc - This is where the cost will blow out if you don't keep an eye on it

Time wise - Hard to judge again, as I spend a lot of time waiting for paints and glues to dry (Usually don't count this time as I can go off and do other things while waiting) - It's a process I draw out over 3 to 4 days, just to be sure things are dry before I proceed. I paint the insides of the blanks before gluing the copper tubes in, so I really want to be sure the paint is dry, otherwise I can't tell I fucked up until the blank is turned and polished (On these pens, I drill out an 8mm hole, then sand that hole out so I can fit in paint and glue - I then turn it down to 9mm, so there is less than 1mm of plastic in the wall to give that final color - No paint, and the copper brown affects the final result)

Time wise, the biggest time sink is actually turning them. There's two very different plastics in that photo - The stuff with the lines is soft, and while it's easy to machine, you need to be careful with heat (Will cause the plastic to expand and distort colors) - The other plastic though is damn hard, and I find myself constantly pulling up to sharpen tools

All up, probably about a good solid 2 hours work per pen (Not counting drying times) - But, do them in a batch and everything speeds up (Although it becomes a lot more boring). Turning them on the lathe is most time consuming, with about 30 to 60 minutes on the machine per pen

Done quite a few one-off pens as well - Brother had some antler from a deer he shot and wanted a pen made from it (Charged him extra because it's bio materials, and they fscking stink when you machine them) - That took a bit over 4 hours as I was really taking my time not to split the materials. Also made a pen out of aluminum which took me a little while just designing it, but was really fast to make, and aviation quality al is fairly cheap. Al is really soft and nicer to work with than the plastics, so will explore this more

So, looking at those pens I posted here (And those other cheapies I mentioned) as my basic set, I then have a range of more stylish pens (Like ones with lids, and fountain pens etc) which will be my mid-range, and then I will do a lot more special one-offs as my top shelf line

I don't like doing it, but I keep bumping my price up casually as well - This is not to make more money (Hard to believe I know), but I do it to actually try to slow down how quickly they bloody sell - Today alone generated a waiting list of 12 people who want in on the next batch. I make all these pens, but never have any stock to show people - Best I can do is try taking photos, but I need a proper light box to do them

Very high failure rate as well - I've been working on my process for over a year now, and got my failure rate down to about 5% from 50% - One tiny little speck of *anything* in the barrel when you press it together, or if anything slips and goes out of alignment, you crack the plastic and just fucked it - Cannot be fixed. Strip the plastic off the copper, curse, and start over

Edited by Khirareq

Keen to do some more - Chick I made it for is a Parks Ranger, and she wanted it to float (Hence also waterproof) - Went through, designed it with O ring seals to keep the water out, and while doing it noticed I had room in the cap to make a hidden compartment, so I did

Made it, thought I could better, got told to fuck off and was handed 150 for it *shrug*

Might try another one - I got 40cm of 40mm al here

I think half the reason they sell so easily is how fussy I am over them - I point out the faults on the pens I refuse to sell, and still have people wanting to buy them (Refuse to sell them though - Kind of doing market research and testing of quality, so I want nothing I'm not happy with out in the wild)

Khirareq do you put your signature on them ? If not, I think you should.

Keen to do some more - Chick I made it for is a Parks Ranger, and she wanted it to float (Hence also waterproof) - Went through, designed it with O ring seals to keep the water out, and while doing it noticed I had room in the cap to make a hidden compartment, so I did

Made it, thought I could better, got told to fuck off and was handed 150 for it *shrug*

Ha, so she must have liked it.

I think half the reason they sell so easily is how fussy I am over them - I point out the faults on the pens I refuse to sell, and still have people wanting to buy them (Refuse to sell them though - Kind of doing market research and testing of quality, so I want nothing I'm not happy with out in the wild)

And that's why people want them, you are doing quality work, something of a rarity these days.

Khirareq do you put your signature on them ? If not, I think you should.

+ eleventy billion to that.

A game conversion. I was impressed with the 7800 console version so contacted the author who gave me source and permission to port over to the Atari 8-bit computer.

Although that said, it'd have been not much less work to start from scratch.

Ignore the crusty music/sound, I've got in my possession a great music piece that will be used in the final. I've been a bit lazy, barely touched it in the last 6 weeks.

Posted Image

What type of project is this?

Please clarify. I have a vivid and disturbing imagination . . .

Yes, yes my pretty. Feast upon all the slugs and snails. I want your breasts to be nice and plump for when i baste them in an orange sauce reduction, and then make a soup from your carcass.

Am I mistaken, or does this project involve grafting a chicken's head onto a duck's body?

Posted Image

What type of project is this?

Please clarify. I have a vivid and disturbing imagination . . .

Yes, yes my pretty. Feast upon all the slugs and snails. I want your breasts to be nice and plump for when i baste them in an orange sauce reduction, and then make a soup from your carcass.

Am I mistaken, or does this project involve grafting a chicken's head onto a duck's body?

She is waiting for the Golden Goose to lay an egg!

Bumpy bump.

Just about finished a little project I have been meaning to do for a long time.

Posted Image

Yep ripping all of my Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and Stargate movies to ISO for easy playback.

Obsessive compulsive? Moi?

Just got to wait for a mate to bring back my Season 1 SGU box set and it will be all finished