Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
val0r0x

Bluray Playback

Howdy,

Long story short, I have a Media Centre PC (see signature) and it was until yesterday plugged into a TV capable of only 720. Last night though, I plugged in a new bigger LED TV that supports full 1080p and this is where I've run into issues. It's hard to explain, but I'll give it a crack.

There's a slight delay in video, particularly in fast moving shots or when the camera is panning (doesn't even have to go very fast). By delay, I mean a jittery type of lag, one that reminds me of a HDD that needs to spin up before it can continue to buffer/play (but it comes right quicker). Only lasts a split second when it does happen, but as you can imagine, in an action scene or moving panorama shot, it's VERY distracting and well... disappointing as, obviously, I'd like to see the full potential of my new purchase!

Software used to playback legit Blu Ray movies is the one that came with the drive, CyberLink. I also downloaded a 1080 sample video and whilst it may have been compressed somewhat (m2s format or something) it yielded the same results even in VLC. Media Player appeared to not be as bad but issue was still present.

I've installed a 6850, thinking that maybe the Fusion kit was the problem, but no luck. I've also spent an hour or so tinkering in CCC, disabling and re-enabling video related options. Oh and even plugged the HDMI into the port on the TV that says (PC), despite doubting there's any actual difference.

Anyhoo, I can provide more info but I think that covers it, any assistance would be appreciated. At this point I'm personally thinking it's the HDD (7200RPM) that is maybe the weak link (does anyone know how dependant the PC is on a HDD in the playback cycle?) or I just need to blow away Windows and start from scratch (mainly because of potential AMD driver issues).

Cheers.

Hm, I have never experienced this, and I actually tried to achieve it when I first built a media PC for the family. I had two AMD boxes that totalled about $250 each, one as a storage box, one for media and general use. I played the same 1080p video file on the media box and my gaming PC from the storage box simultaneously with completely smooth playback, even with the cheap onboard GPU from the $60 motherboard. I also mounted a 50GB Blu-ray disc ISO on both PCs that was stored on the storage box to the same effect.

This was just using VLC and Cyberlink also. Nothing fancy as to drivers or anything either, just stock standard stuff.

EDIT: Oh I was also playing the videos on the storage box as well as the other two, heh. Three PCs perfectly playing the same Toy Story 3 file or BD-ISO at the same time, quite a beautiful thing.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Never mind - fixed.

For anyone interested, I had to force the display down to 24 hertz, why? No idea. But it works flawlessly now using just the Fusion GPU so I'm not going to complain.

Never mind - fixed.

For anyone interested, I had to force the display down to 24 hertz, why? No idea. But it works flawlessly now using just the Fusion GPU so I'm not going to complain.

Interesting. I was going to suggest making sure you have the AMD Media Codec Package installed and that you are using a DXVA capable video player and have it enabled in the player.

Thought it may also be the dreaded 23.976 FPS issue but think that may be restricted to Intel onboard GPUs only.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-san...3-2100-tested/7

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/5541?c...-edition-review