Sign in to follow this  
jim1992

Logitech z5500 for $180 worth it?

Hi,

my question is whether a second hand logitech z5500 5.1 system is worth $180?

If not, can anyone suggest to me a decent set of 5.1 speakers that i could use for gaming, watching movies and annoying the hell out of everyone with my dubstep, trance and techno:

-I'm on a budget of $200 (for now) but willing to stretch that to maybe $400 at the most for a really good value/quality set.

-I'm not an audiophile so i don't need to be breakinig the bank just to get a set that'd be wasted on me

-I just want a set that'll let me hear footstep from behind me and to be able to decently feel/ hear the impact from an explosion.

I'm also willing to consider wireless headphones if they can provide better

Edited by jim1992

There good speakers. Its an old model now. I am always very wary of buying 2nd hand audio equipment unless it very high range. Do they still work? Is anything faulty? A key concern is the input console that comes with it. This can become faulty preventing you plugging in headphones and stuff. You also wont get the full benefit of them unless you have a good soundcard I reckon.

Why not just go for a really good NEW 2.1 set up?

Theres some here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...p;cPath=567_568

Personally I would just buy a good stereo setup - Audioengine would be my pick for really top quality speakers for a PC:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...p;cPath=567_895

Super top quality. No need for a sub. These are top class speakers. The Audioengine "2" series are more than sufficient and you would not be dissapointed.

They're great speakers for gaming and movies, I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and they still sound pretty decent. $200 for a second hand set is pretty good assuming you test them out first.

I got mine for $330 new with delivery just before the economy shit itself and they rocketed up over $400 again.

Had them for about 5 years and they're every bit as awesome as they were when I got them.

They can be wierd for certain genres of music due to the lacking mid-range and shit-ton of bass.

But if you're not an audiophile you probably won't care or notice.

Awesome for movies and games in my experience though.

If they work fine, $180 is a steal.

I used them a few years ago, I found them fantastic for the $6 or 700 I paid for them. They blow fuses sometimes, it's an easy fix though.

Thankfully mine has only blown a fuse once in my 5 or so years.

Easy to replace, just went down to Jaycar and got 5 or 6 of them for future.

Worth it. Definitely.I've had mine for??? 6 years maybe and blown 2 fuses, hardly a concern.

I just upgraded from onboard sound to a Xonar D2X. Wow. Games and movies and sooo much better, but my FLAC files on analogue output are insanely good. So digital out> DTS Connect games etc, 6 channel direct>stereo for music.

I can't think of the RMS rating off the top of my head, but in application, they never clip or distort.

I'd hate to lose them. They're the only part of my study/games system that has remained constant over the last 5 years.

I bought a set of Z5500s the week they came out, I think I was 16 (almost 8 years ago).

I don't use them anymore, I outgrew the overdone bass in a few years, but I still have them, they are actually setup at a friends house in their bedroom, still going strong. They are also probably some of the loudest speakers at this price. They are not the clearest and the satellites are pretty average, but its not bad. If you get some, make sure you turn the sub right right down and they will sound much better. I also preferred the second skin with exponential volume increments as it gave more control over low/mid volumes.

I've blown two fuses, replacments come in pack of 5 for like $2.95 at dick smith, no biggie.

I also bottomed out my sub and needed a new voice coil and to repair some tears in the cone. Don't do that. My friend was the one that did it, so he was the one who paid to fix it.

Anyway, 8 years later, they are still alright speakers, but fuck having that many speakers and wires anywhere these days. If all you like is doof doof you'll probably never find better value speakers.

Edited by p0is0n