MrFriendly

Hating on the Cyclists

I prefer to think that it's the " bogans " and the uppity prats that have the SUV's at home. They cycle like they drive :)

snip.

basically treat the rider like any other vehicle.

I do, all road users are morons unless/until proven otherwise.

I try to be patient with them as much as possible but like the majority I despise the 'tards that ride three abreast down dual carriageways, especially when there is a dedicated bike lane. And filtering, I can put up with motorcyclists doing it as they generally accelerate very fast. If a common or garden variety cyclist does it they run the risk of, if not actively encourage becoming a hood ornament.

Took my 'new' bike for its first run to the gym today. 5 minutes down the road, the front tire shat itself because the rubber was all old and cracked the whole way around. Walked it home in shame.

That's what I get for being a dirty low-down cyclist, amirite?

You may not be aware of this, but there is a lot more debris to dodge at the side of the road

just so we're clear, I'm talking about riders riding two-abreast in dedicated bike lanes. Like this one on the left.

Finally, riding two abreast is legal.

I don't care. This is irrelevent. I would like you to banish this statement from your argument! :P Plenty of silly and dangerous things are legal. This discussion needs to be based around logic and safety. (And I'm also talking about dedicated bike lanes here.)

Rob.

If I see another two cyclists riding at 25km abreast so they can block one entire lane up of a two lane road that leads out of the city during the peak hour rush, while theres a perfectly good bike path along that very road, then I reserve the right to drive right over the top of their inconsiderate cunty asses.

Honestly with the amount of horns honking, Im surprised someone didnt snap and go something like this

Edited by TheMojorising

You may not be aware of this, but there is a lot more debris to dodge at the side of the road

just so we're clear, I'm talking about riders riding two-abreast in dedicated bike lanes. Like this one on the left.

Rob.

That's a major debris dodge right there :)

Perhaps if cyclists were made to pay for using the roads as well, there might

be more money for upkeep and maintenance ... or would that money just end up somewhere else ? ;)

There was a survey that happened about 2 years ago on another forum i used to frequent... They discovered that about 85% of cyclists actually own cars as well... so they do pay for upkeep and maintenance of the road.

Most of the time, anyway.

Perhaps car and motorbike drivers/riders should pay for upkeep and maintenance of the roads too, 'cause last time I checked, road maintenance was paid out of council rates. Not state/territory vehicle registration.

Happy to be proved wrong though. I pay rates AND rego anyway.

The only cyclists I hate are the wankers who were once car drivers and have lost their licence to drive a car for various idiotic offences like drink driving etc, who then take it apon themselves to continue to be dickheads, but now while riding a rusty old pushbike they probably stole from the Vinnies bin.

These are the tools that give 'Real Cyclists' a bad name.....no I am not a cyclist, I'm a Mountainbiker, I stay as far away as possible from all you crazy inconsiderate car/truck/bus drivers, it is scary enough running that gauntlet in another car let alone wearing lycra.

When I commute I avoid roads like the plague, I only ride on the roads where there are no bike/walking paths...this way I get to terrorise pedestrians instead of becoming road kill.

Yeah...... nah, I see some fuckers on King St Newtown in the morning that live by the "reclaim the streets" moto, I have been accused of not caring about the environment but if I could get guns retrofitted.............

The "riding two abreast is legal" comments don't help, idiot caravan owners doing 60 on the highway aren't breaking the law, doesn't mean they aren't acting like complete fuckwits with no consideration for anyone else.

That being said, most road users are idiots, no matter the transport.

Bicycles and cars are like chalk and cheese, roads aren't ever going to accommodate both in harmony ^^

I'd like to see bicycle rego too,

Perhaps if cyclists were made to pay for using the roads as well, there might

be more money for upkeep and maintenance ... or would that money just end up somewhere else ? ;)

There was a survey that happened about 2 years ago on another forum i used to frequent... They discovered that about 85% of cyclists actually own cars as well... so they do pay for upkeep and maintenance of the road.

Most of the time, anyway.

Perhaps car and motorbike drivers/riders should pay for upkeep and maintenance of the roads too, 'cause last time I checked, road maintenance was paid out of council rates. Not state/territory vehicle registration.

Happy to be proved wrong though. I pay rates AND rego anyway.

Yeah, i remember reading(on atomic, i think) a while ago that only a small percentage of road upkeep comes from registration fees, the majority from other sources that everyone pays, whether they own a car or not...

I'm a fan of cyclists being held responsible for the road rules they break(and i am a cyclist...) for sure... But the logistics and costs of having a registration system for bicycles is a bit difficult... It'll end up being a net negative benefit, i think.

Cyclists... I don't have a problem with in general, but a few things they do seem to annoy me for some reason.

1) Why the fuck do they have to wear that lycra outfit all the time. If you're not in a race, you don't need it, it looks ridiculous, and stop shaving your legs too.

2) I used to live in Subi and there is a pretty decent coffeeshop there, every weekend the place is swarmed by cyclists in lycra, in there hundreds.

3) Just hate it when they are on the roads (I know they aren't allowed to use the footpath) and you can't get past safely.

Thats all.

Ya, I know a guy who averages near 30kmh on a few hour ride and he doesn't need ball showing Lycra, is all fashion wankery.

I don't need a fire retardant racing suit to drive my car down the street><

I think the real crux of the matter is that Australia in general isn't a bicycle friendly nation.

I mean, if you're on a bike in Sydney, where among drivers a courteous nature is a sign of weakness, what fucking chance do you have on a flimsy two wheeled POS!?

You're blocking off half a much needed street so you can show off your wankery to people who just don't care!

And the environment!??? Seriously!!?? We're all fucked anyway, so you may as well join the party and burn some ancient trees, join the winning side and kill the planet!!!

And by killing the planet we will welcome the new species to take over our role, the squid, I've seen it on about 3 docos now, the squids are coming for us, I saw a squid open a jar, next they will be opening congress.....

So screw you planet, fuck you cyclists, you Apple using commie hippies, and most of all, welcome our squid overlords.

I think the real crux of the matter is that Australia in general isn't a bicycle friendly nation.

I mean, if you're on a bike in Sydney, where among drivers a courteous nature is a sign of weakness, what fucking chance do you have on a flimsy two wheeled POS!?

You're blocking off half a much needed street so you can show off your wankery to people who just don't care!

And the environment!??? Seriously!!?? We're all fucked anyway, so you may as well join the party and burn some ancient trees, join the winning side and kill the planet!!!

And by killing the planet we will welcome the new species to take over our role, the squid, I've seen it on about 3 docos now, the squids are coming for us, I saw a squid open a jar, next they will be opening congress.....

So screw you planet, fuck you cyclists, you Apple using commie hippies, and most of all, welcome our squid overlords.

POTM.

and may I quote you? :p

As silly as it looks... Lycra is just a fuckload more comfortable.

Not to say there isn't fashion wankery involved too...

Your lycra.

Makes me uncomfortable.

Having seen myself in lycra previously, i completely understand.

I'm glad swanston st's getting closed down to car traffic, it'd be nice to do that with part of bourke st and elizabeth st too.

I hate on motorists more than cyclists.

I've seen motorists do far more stupid things than cyclists.

Such as, cutting across tram clear way when tram is coming and driving head on into a tram in a 4WD, soccer mum thinks she's invincible with that big bar.

I've nearly been run over 3 times now just for stepping off a tram, because some motorists don't want to stop behind the tram when it stops.

Motorists being impatient fucktards and flooring it after a tram door closes and squeezing through a gap between a parked car on the left side of the road and in front of the tram, only just clearing the space within a split second. Tram drivers slow down for them because otherwise the fucktard motorists would cause a serious accident.

The whole hate on cyclists thing is generally, motorists being impatient fucktards in general. If you don't like to share the road, don't drive.

Cyclists have every right to ride two abreast (in Victoria), you're not allowed to ride more than two abreast though.

Edited by Athiril

i can't stand cyclists.

Give them all number plates and a report line where i can call and get the idiots fined then i might be a little happier.

My pet hate is when they ride on the foot path. (I live and work in the cbd and walk everywhere im more fearful of bikes than cars)

Riding the wrong way up a one way street is next worst. They have the nerve to have a go at me when im coming out of my carpark (on the rare occasions i do drive) and don't look for them when they should be there.

I also hate the government for adding bike lanes and other stupid things in the name of biker safety.

yes changing a 2 lane 60km city bypass rd down to a 50km single lane rd with bike lane was such a good idea /sarcasm i guess nobody could see the park on the side of the rd that all the bikers ride through.

also i thought redeveloping Spencer street was supposed to improve the bikers city for pedestrians. how does that work when you put a fence, a pit for the tram and bike lanes down the middle so everyone has to squash down the sides and can only cross at the lights. I preffered looking out for the odd taxi or courier

and don't get me started on the way people park there bikes

Cyclists have every right to ride two abreast (in Victoria), you're not allowed to ride more than two abreast though.

I don't care. This is irrelevent. I would like you to banish this statement from your argument! :P Plenty of silly and dangerous things are legal. This discussion needs to be based around logic and safety. (And I'm also talking about dedicated bike lanes here.)

Rob.

I ride on the footpath, I bunnyhop up and down gutters, I weave around traffic, I don't wear a helmet, I am confident and safe when riding.

Never had a car beep at me, never had anybody rage at me, I am never in the way of a car, and I am always in a safe riding place.

If there's no safe room on a road area for a bike I will ride on the path (slowly and cautiously) and always move out of everybody's way, give peds the right of way, stop and wait for people to walk through narrow areas first, slow right down when there's clueless kids around, etc.

If there's a bike path available I will use it.

I've never put myself in an unsafe situation when riding and I've been riding since I was 4 or so.

I don't drive.

Motorists are angry, pig-headed, arrogant, selfish people in Melbourne.

Go ahead and hate me. :)

The best part about Melbourne motorists, they're all insane, impatient dickheads in their cars... then they get on foot and walk at fucking snails pace, oblivious to everything around them, blocking footpaths, stopping randomly for no reason (probably a shiny object).