Sign in to follow this  
The Tick

Android n00b needs a tablet

My current work contract is requiring me to become familiar with android devices.

I would prefer to go with a tablet rather than a phone as I am quite happy with my phone at present and while I have an iPad3, I would suspect that a 7" variety of Android tablet may be my best option.

At present, the Samsung galaxy 7.7 seems to tick all the boxes for processor speed with an apparently imminent upgrade to ICS. Harvey Norman are offering them for $388 online with the option to pickup saving me freight.

I was looking at the Agora 10" ones - and at $199 delivered it make me feel somewhat better about dropping money on something I may not use for long, but the lack of dual core seems to be a potential sore point and despite there being a ridiculously long period that manufacturers take to release software updates, I figure Kogan wouldn't bother doing it at all. I have no idea how much a single core processor would influence the ICS experience.

To be honest, I have no idea how long I would use it other than becoming familiar with Android and the eco system. I am thinking that if I don't take to it, whatever I get may end up being an expensive portable media player for the kids. Then again, the 7" form factor may just prove useful and the geek factor may just move me more than I expect.

Any advice or suggestions about entering the Android universe and if a particular brand is more preferable than another would be much appreciated.

All Android tablets are pretty shit compared to the phones, purely because devs are lazy bastards. The 7.7 is a good bet, it's cheap and powerful. Stay right away from Kogans crap.

Thanks guys

Grabbed the samsung today - posting this on it now.

I really like the size. Not so sure about the OS yet.

Fingers crossed they don't delay on that ICS update.

Anything I should do/ install first?

Gotta say im hating this keyboard right now

ICS should improve it when it comes out. If you want a better keyboard, there's a tonne of alternatives on the Play Store. I recommend SwiftKey 3.

Basic apps I recommend:

Dropbox

Google+

Google Currents

Google Goggles

Google Drive

MX Player

And if you want games...

Mega Mall Story

Cogs

Dead Space

Angry Birds

ShadowGun

Reckless Racing

SNESDroid (emulator)

N64oid (emulator)

Speedx 3D

GTA 3

Max Payne

Oh, and if you want to secure your device against thieves...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...sdroid.cerberus

Takes a picture using the front camera if they fail to unlock the phone a particular amount of times. It then sends this pic to your e-mail. You can also remotely control the phone via a web interface, such as activate alarms, turn on video/audio recording, get current GPS position and more. There's a few stories of people tracking down thieves using this app, leading police to their door. Almost makes you want to lose your phone for a fun chase. :P

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Thanks mate.

Had to return it already - it was the last one in the store and was floor stock. I had the kids and made the stupid decision to take it. When the background was white enough, you could clearly see the time and icons had burnt into the display.

Apparently the stores showing stock in metro Melb are all only floor stock too - I don't want to repeat the same mistake so am waiting for one to be transferred from rural VIC.

The security stuff would be great for a phone. This tablet is just wifi.

I bought the Galaxy Tab 7.7 32GB last Friday from office works, $380 price matched from oo.com.au

Love it, but Go Launcher HD is essential to replace the stock launcher. Otherwise I use Swype (installed from factory) in portrait, and the Android default in landscape.

Also Dolphin Browser HD, until the ics update and I'll probably switch to chrome.

Thanks mate.

Had to return it already - it was the last one in the store and was floor stock. I had the kids and made the stupid decision to take it. When the background was white enough, you could clearly see the time and icons had burnt into the display.

Apparently the stores showing stock in metro Melb are all only floor stock too - I don't want to repeat the same mistake so am waiting for one to be transferred from rural VIC.

The security stuff would be great for a phone. This tablet is just wifi.

Ahh. Yeah, NEVER buy floor stock devices with an OLED display. They might have perfect contrast ratio and rich colours, but they burn in like a mofo if you leave them on the one screen non-stop. One of the main drawbacks of OLED tech.

ICS should improve it when it comes out. If you want a better keyboard, there's a tonne of alternatives on the Play Store. I recommend SwiftKey 3.

Basic apps I recommend:

Dropbox

Google+

Google Currents

Google Goggles

Google Drive

MX Player

And if you want games...

Mega Mall Story

Cogs

Dead Space

Angry Birds

ShadowGun

Reckless Racing

SNESDroid (emulator)

N64oid (emulator)

Speedx 3D

GTA 3

Max Payne

Oh, and if you want to secure your device against thieves...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...sdroid.cerberus

Takes a picture using the front camera if they fail to unlock the phone a particular amount of times. It then sends this pic to your e-mail. You can also remotely control the phone via a web interface, such as activate alarms, turn on video/audio recording, get current GPS position and more. There's a few stories of people tracking down thieves using this app, leading police to their door. Almost makes you want to lose your phone for a fun chase. :P

Swype is also a great free keboard:

http://www.swype.com/

Currently, Swype is in beta but I have had no problems at all.

My recommended apps are:

Firefox

Dropbox

Flipboard (much nicer than Google currents imo)

Photowall (makes a nice background from your photos, not very battery intensive either)

Astrid tasks (handy for jotting down quick notes/reminders rather than on paper)

AVG Antivirus Free

Android Lost (handy app for finding lost phones/tablets)

Yep, can't say it has found anything but it eats almost no resources and is there just in case. Don't see the problem really.

Yeah the tab 7.7 is a great tablet. Have had one for a few months now use it every day on the train.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the ICS update, samsung keep saying it's coming but it keeps getting pushed back.....Latest I've read is August for ICS.

I'll add Comic Reader Mobi to the list of apps to get on a tablet.

I also use Go Launcher (HD? the tablet version)

Yeah the tab 7.7 is a great tablet. Have had one for a few months now use it every day on the train.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the ICS update, samsung keep saying it's coming but it keeps getting pushed back.....Latest I've read is August for ICS.

I'll add Comic Reader Mobi to the list of apps to get on a tablet.

I also use Go Launcher (HD? the tablet version)

From what I've been told, ICS is already finished. The ROMs are in testing/waiting for clearance.

This is what I'm using, I can take some pictures of mine if you want. I like the flip cover on it because I just throw it in my bag, also it has magnets holding it on so it doesn't open up on its own.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Flip-Smar...5#ht_4210wt_905

edit: The 16Gb is selling for $380 now? Man I paid $460 when I got mine and that was a good price at the time!

Edited by PointZeroOne

Damn, always liked the 7" tablets, just not the brands that sold them.....

Should have waited for the Nexus rather than buying my TF300 2 weeks ago :(

On that subject, the ASUS TF300 is pretty sweet. I've had the TF101 and played with the Prime. The TF300 has the performance of the Prime but at the pricepoint of the old TF101.

Initially, I was having a ridiculous amount of browser FC's, but that's mostly sorted out since the most recent update. For $444 (or less as I've heard other people getting it for) you can't go wrong.

The single remaining thing that bugs me is that the screen isn't as vibrant as I'm used to. It looks a bit faded when you sit it next to other devices

Yeah, I saw the news of the nexus 7 come through the news feeds this morning and you know I had that feeling of "damn it!"

Yeah, I saw the news of the nexus 7 come through the news feeds this morning and you know I had that feeling of "damn it!"

Heh, typical technology right? Apparently it's a very nice tablet too, because of Jelly Bean's heavy focus on performance improvements.

I'm not too concerned, using the micro sd slot on my 7.7 for all my mp3s, and I'm not sure the ips screen will be much better than the amoled. If you're always waiting for the next device you'll never buy one :P

Bit off topic, but as far as Android tablets go, where does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 stand as far as features and performance?