Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
The Tick

Android n00b needs a tablet

I essentially bought mine as an ebook and www reader. Maybe I'm not noticing any issues in text rendering because I'm comparing the N7 with my 3GS, rather than the ipad3 I rarely get to use.

Yet to try the N7 USB cable via a powerboard of Apple wall plug; yet to root the tablet so haven't even bothered looking for an OTG cable for external mass storage.

The only real quibbles I've actually had so far are the sheer number of applications that are marked as 'incompatible', either with the OS revision or the hardware itself or the country it resides in, and the screen brightness flickering a bit when there is low wifi reception.

Definitely interested in comparing my 7" with your 7" the next time we catch up tho', Tick. Ahem.

I essentially bought mine as an ebook and www reader. Maybe I'm not noticing any issues in text rendering because I'm comparing the N7 with my 3GS, rather than the ipad3 I rarely get to use.

This was one of the key tasks I was most excited about when considering a 7" form factor and probably one of the reasons I am resenting it thus far. Maybe I need to try a few more ereader apps before I cast a final judgement.

Definitely interested in comparing my 7" with your 7" the next time we catch up tho', Tick. Ahem.

:) - it wouldn't be the same if we didn't compare our 7" ....

Thanks for the suggestions cyber.

I haven't installed the swift key keyboard yet. I kind if feel that the keyboard that ships with a product should be good enough. It's interesting that practically everyone I speak to all mention swift key as the first app to install. Maybe google should fix their keyboard?

I still can't figure out if the size and flexibility of transferring data can make up for the seriously dodgy user experience and lack of really useful apps.

Well SwiftKey is worth the money. It's not just better than stock, it's better than all keyboards, iOS one included.

Pity the Nexus 7 didn't come out a little earlier, it's the first truly good Android tablet.

I bought it and spent some time configuring it. It's an improvement but i woukdnt say its the best keyboard.

It frequently seems to. Miss the correct spelling of its and does some crazy shit on an incorrect keypress.

*shrugs

Probably should get it replaced under warranty if the screen flickers. Or you can try my app Lux, which apparently fixes it.

TBH I wanted to wait a little longer to make sure the replacement I get is from a newer revision/batch, and not the same one prone to the same issues.

Not to mention I haven't noticed it while using Lux.

Maybe I need to try a few more ereader apps before I cast a final judgement.

What have you been using? Can you be any more specific with the issues you're noticing, and what you're comparing it to/with/on? :>

Hey Tick, dunno what case you wound up getting, but I ordered one of these and it's great. Took about 3 weeks for delivery from the states but it's definitely worth the wait:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=120891361426

Posted Image

For what it's worth, I'm happy with the gtab 7.7, it does everything I want it to in its own slightly clunky way :)