Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
SquallStrife

[retro swim]

So, I'm doing a Youtube series. Hurrah for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroSwim

Episode 1 is just me having a bit of practice at speaking for a camera, and editing my video on iMovie. I think I did alright for a first timer!

What I aim to eventually do, is episodes on my retro PC and console collection, and do LGR/ADG style commentaries on my personal favourite retro games.

The first feature (or story arc, I suppose) will be my project to change over all my consoles from using composite video to using RGB. I've started buying the connectors I'll need, and once I have everything, I'll cover making the cables, performing console mods where needed, and the differences in picture quality before and after.

Well, now that the video is in the wild, I throw myself at the mercy of the Internet. What do you think?

• Like 1

"Ripping off" isn't what I'd call it.

But the [text here] layout and font used in the logo are inspired by the AS logo.

The animation and background combination on the title card is just a canned effect from iMovie.

I'll be interested in seeing just how complex the console video output mods are. I'm a fan of retro games, but I'm very cautious about modding my old beloved consoles. The only console mods I've performed myself are replacing the 72-pin connector in my front-loading NES, and disabling the 10NES lockout chip in that same NES.

I'll be interested in seeing just how complex the console video output mods are. I'm a fan of retro games, but I'm very cautious about modding my old beloved consoles. The only console mods I've performed myself are replacing the 72-pin connector in my front-loading NES, and disabling the 10NES lockout chip in that same NES.

:)

Thankfully, getting RGB from most PAL consoles is as simple as constructing the appropriate cable.

All the information is neatly collated here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gam...t/gamescart.htm

I haven't region-unlocked my NES, but I have done my SNES, and also added a 50/60Hz switch to the SNES.

Yeah, makes any game run in 50 or 60Hz. Although I guess it depends on the game whether or not the game speed is actually affected.

Sometimes it just means the game will fill the screen instead of having black bars top and bottom.

Anywho, episode 2 is live!

I think if you want to film an old CRT monitor you would need to be shooting at the same framerate as the refresh rate of the screen.

I think.

I discovered that my camera has some manual exposure controls, and if I tweak them, I can get it looking pretty nice.

Very nice man. I can tell you're getting better at speaking on the videos too, not as many pauses or umms and ahhs in the 3rd video as the first, good stuff :)

Instead of spamming the buy stuff thread in TGR I'll quote it in here.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land for Master System, and a Tandy 1000RL. :D

It's better on Genesis. Playing it last week actually :)

While true, beggars (like me) can't be choosers. ;)

But, but, but. You've got it.... I just see'd it on that ther' tubeface channels

Nice ep and completely agree with Nukey you're getting much more confident talking on video.

Edit: and holy av switches Batman. The scart switchbox sounds like a good plan.

Edited by ReapermanRS

But, but, but. You've got it.... I just see'd it on that ther' tubeface channels

You're right! Blonde moment! Haha!

I do have it, but the Mega Drive version is nothing like the Master System version. The Master System version is more like the original arcade game (and even contains some of the original tunes), and is the true prequel to Wonder Boy 3 the Dragon's Trap.

(The last stage of Monster World is the opening stage of Dragon's Trap!)

Nice ep and completely agree with Nukey you're getting much more confident talking on video.

Edit: and holy av switches Batman. The scart switchbox sounds like a good plan.

Thanks! :)

The Wonder Boy/Monster Land games are so confusing. Not the games themselves, but trying to work out exactly what each game is!

Loved the third video. The old PC was neat, but retro consoles is where I'm at. So jealous of all your Sega stuff.

I always had to play Sega games on friends' consoles, since I only had an NES up until the PSX generation.

Specifically jealous of the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on cart, I could Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one of my favourite game experiences ever, yet I don't even own a Mega Drive.

I'm constantly pestering Squall about his retro pc knowledge, retro gaming on pc is epic. The older consoles never held the same kind of sway over me that PCs have.

I can certainly appreciate old PC gaming, I grew up with a variety of Amstrad and IBM Windows compatibles, but I guess the NES is where I got most of my memorable gaming experiences from.

That said, the Amstrad CPC in particular I remember having a lot of fun on, I just wish I could remember the names of a few more games I had!

Episode 4 is live!

I wanted to have my first RGB cable done this week, but without my RGB->YUV converter box, I wouldn't have been able to demonstrate it, so that's on hold for another week.

Today I did a quick unboxing video of my copy of Space Quest 3, including all the sound card related stuff Sierra included, to get you to buy an AdLib or MT-32 off them.

Enjoy!

Episode 5 is up.

Another week passes and my converter box is still hiding. :(

Still two-for-the-price-of-one this week! An overview of a nifty use for the Raspberry Pi, and some footage of Silpheed for DOS with Tandy sound and graphics.