.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.1 - Jelly Bean

Gotta say, this update is friggin sweet! If you didn't see the Google I/O presentation, I urge you to take a look.

(That's not all of the keynote, just the main stuff)

Key features

- 'Project Butter'. Entire Android interface runs at 60FPS, triple buffered, and with V Sync enabled. Touch events wake CPU immediately to ensure instant reaction. No more stuttering!

- New systrace tool for developers, which graphs kernel level execution of apps to track down performance bottlenecks. Ultra cool, if you're a dev! :P

- Dynamic widget placement (widgets resize to fit if there's not enough room, pushes app icons out of the way as you drag over).

- Expandable notifications! Notification can expand into a widget-like view with a two finger gesture. Enables rich content directly in the notification area.

- High resolution contact photos (about friggin time, right?)

- Reduced audio latency (down to ~12ms, used to be 100ms+). Makes high quality audio production apps possible.

- USB audio support, multi-channel output (AAC 5.1), gapless playback, audio preprocessing for devs (noise filtering etc.)

- Updated Google Voice. Can transcribe voice without data connection, and can answer your questions via the Google Knowledge Graph. Displays results in a beautiful card form, and reads the answer with a surprisingly good natural voice assistant.

- Smart App updates. When you download an update for an app, you only download the new parts of the app, instead of the entire thing. Cuts download quota and bandwidth usage down to one third!

So much win for what's considered a 'minor' release. Cool thing is, the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Xoom get this update mid-July, so only a couple of weeks wait. Apparently Google gave manufacturers the PDK (Platform Development Kit) three months earlier than previous releases, so non-Nexus devices should get the update a lot quicker than previous releases. :D

But the important question is... When can i get it for my HOX?!

Samsung unofficially said Q3, so I imagine HTC would be in the same boat. That's assuming CM10 doesn't get there first. There's currently people working on porting the Galaxy Nexus ROM (ripped freshly off devices at I/O) into both the HOX and SGSIII. These devs have no concept of patience. :P

Key features

- 'Project Butter'. Entire Android interface runs at 60FPS, triple buffered, and with V Sync enabled. Touch events wake CPU immediately to ensure instant reaction. No more stuttering!

Does this mean that Android fanboys will finally admit that Android has been stuttery the whole time? :P

#troll

I have to admit, Smart App Updates is such a nice feature. When a game on my iPad gets updated and I have to download the whole bloody 700MB again when only maybe 20MB of the code has changed, it's slightly frustrating.

Are the Nexuses and Xoom the only currently released devices that get the update?

Key features

Does this mean that Android fanboys will finally admit that Android has been stuttery the whole time? :P

#troll

Android has traditionally sacrificed fluidity for snappiness. That's why Android tends to do everything faster, but not necessarily elegantly. With ICS (Android 4.0) Google aimed to change this, but only got 90% of the way. With Jelly Bean they've honed in on that last 10%. I haven't seen it for myself, but I've heard good things from devs at I/O.

I have to admit, Smart App Updates is such a nice feature. When a game on my iPad gets updated and I have to download the whole bloody 700MB again when only maybe 20MB of the code has changed, it's slightly frustrating.

Are the Nexuses and Xoom the only currently released devices that get the update?

All flagship phones released in the last 18 months or so should get the update (after the source code is released, and OEMs put their customisations in). The Nexus devices get the update first simply because a) They run stock Android, so there's no time required for custom code except drivers, b) Google have the source code before everyone else, so the Nexus devices can start development before OEMs.

Since Android 4.1 is a minor release, I imagine the update will be a lot faster than previously, especially since OEMs got the PDK ~3 months ago.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Now to wait 6 months for a Telstra ROM for my SGS II, to root or just buy a Vanilla SGS III and wait three months.

Decisions. Think I'll see how much money I can extract from the Tax man first.

I got my nexus and haven't updated it once yet nor have I seen a update come through due to shitty providers holding updates for so long.

Guess once my nexus can get this I'll throw it on.

I got my nexus and haven't updated it once yet nor have I seen a update come through due to shitty providers holding updates for so long.

Guess once my nexus can get this I'll throw it on.

You can already get Jelly Bean since the ROM was ripped from the I/O devices.

Also, for anyone that's into voice assistants:

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Almost certainly not related to the OP.

Excited for the smoothness, though I wonder if it's at a cost of snappiness, which I prefer. If they can keep it fast and make it look nicer, then I'm all for it. Also wonder about the CPU full wake, whether that'll drain battery faster.

Still, very interesting release for what is labelled an incremental.

Excited for the smoothness, though I wonder if it's at a cost of snappiness, which I prefer. If they can keep it fast and make it look nicer, then I'm all for it. Also wonder about the CPU full wake, whether that'll drain battery faster.

You have a GN, flash the leaked ROM and tell us. :P

I'm certain they didn't change the transition speed, they just made it render at a higher frame rate.

Theres only one thing thats really annoying me....the new lock screen animation. I hate it. The current ICS one is better looking i reckon.

You have a GN, flash the leaked ROM and tell us. :P

I'm certain they didn't change the transition speed, they just made it render at a higher frame rate.

I can't be bothered setting my device up how I like it again :P I'll go the lazy route and wait for an OTA. On yakju so theoretically I get it from Google, when they activate our region.

I was seriously impressed today by Jellybean.

About 10min before an appointment, it notified me that I would have to leave now to get there on time. It also checked the traffic and gave me turn by turn directions to get there.

I wasn't expecting it but I thought that was pretty awesome. My business relies on me being places on time, so I can see this will come in handy.

I actually just finished watching the For Butter or Worse video, looks like some serious improvements coming through. It's amazing the things they can think of to look at and optimize.

I've only recently gotten a 'real' version of ICS (CM9) and already can't wait to get my hands on jelly bean, hopefully it makes it to SGS2, else I might end up buying one of those $400 nexus' from Kogan or eBay.

Its features like the above that justo mentioned that sound nice, just small improvements to every aspect of the OS from what I can tell.

I was also particularly impressed to learn over 1,000,000 new android devices are activated every day (first video) that's amazing!

More jellybean awesomeness.....or randomness?

Noticed a navigation card pop up to some unknown address. Clicked on streetview to check it out. It was a guitar shop. The same guitar shop i was googling today on my desktop computer! Cool. And a bit creepy. Google is pushing me to go buy a new toy ;)