.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.1 - Jelly Bean

In the interests of fairness Samsung have done the same thing in the past.

I'm not a fan of product success being decided in the courtroom, but you really can't 'lose all respect' for Apple, but love Samsung when they have done exactly the same thing. Only difference is that Apple were successful this time.

I just hope it all ends so everyone can have whatever mobile device they want to have.

They've done in it the past in retaliation to Apple's former injunction attempts. At least 3G patents have some worth, the patents in this current case are just existing ideas appended with 'mobile' to make them look new.

I agree that patent reform needs to happen, I don't agree that companies should abuse the current system.

Had it running on my One X last night, no wifi or 3g though, so it was more just a play for 30 minutes then back to ARHD. Looked interesting.

'

This Apple Vs Android thing is utterly fucking ridiculous and totally ant-competitive. The courts should tell both companies to fuck right off and shut the fuck up.

Instead of waging war in a courtroom they should be waging war in the market place.

But no, they cry like spoilt children.

Kind of like The Manta.

This Apple Vs Android thing is utterly fucking ridiculous and totally ant-competitive. The courts should tell both companies to fuck right off and shut the fuck up.

Instead of waging war in a courtroom they should be waging war in the market place.

Kind of like The Manta.

Yep, and it shits me. Software patents shouldn't exist at all.

Kind of like The Manta.

could not agree more, I can't believe the shit wasn't thrown out of court and both parties told to grow up.

I don't know whether patents just shouldn't exist. I mean, if I spend years developing software, with a new and innovative feature/interface/etc, I sure as hell would want to think that I would have some legal protection from someone else taking the basis of my idea and slapping their name on it.

Patents are probably not the best way to do it, but some sort of legal protection would be nice.

I no way saying the current Apple V Samsung stuff is okay, just commenting on the whole 'software patents should not exist' thing.

Nope, they simply shouldn't exist. There's zero benefits to them. It's like patenting a math theorem or algorithm, simply stupid and selfish. The best way to protect an idea is to put it into practice and produce a compelling product. We already have trademarks and copyright, that's sufficient. As a software developer, the only time I'd ever consider filing for a parent is if I was concerned that a competitor was going to take legal action against me a la Apple.

Still waiting for the mighty Jelly Bean on my Nexus S.

The lag I have is absolutely horrendous.

You might be waiting a while

Still waiting for the mighty Jelly Bean on my Nexus S.

The lag I have is absolutely horrendous.

You might be waiting a while

Yeah, a whole week! (Assuming you have an unlocked phone).

Nope, they simply shouldn't exist. There's zero benefits to them. It's like patenting a math theorem or algorithm, simply stupid and selfish. The best way to protect an idea is to put it into practice and produce a compelling product. We already have trademarks and copyright, that's sufficient. As a software developer, the only time I'd ever consider filing for a parent is if I was concerned that a competitor was going to take legal action against me a la Apple.

You say that as if your opinion counts for something, it doesn't. Also its not like patenting a math theorem or algorithm at all.

So if a small independent company develops a great piece of software, but a software giant see's it and instead of getting a license for it they make it themselves then market it and sell it as their own idea you would be happy with that? That is a great way of keeping the big companies in place and preventing competition from even starting.

I believe patents should exist, but for very specific methods of achieving a result, not the idea of it. For example, search engines, the idea should not be patentable, but the very specific code used to run the engine should be. People may say that Copyright covers that, but it's not clear to me on how it covers digital creations.

You say that as if your opinion counts for something, it doesn't. Also its not like patenting a math theorem or algorithm at all.

So if a small independent company develops a great piece of software, but a software giant see's it and instead of getting a license for it they make it themselves then market it and sell it as their own idea you would be happy with that? That is a great way of keeping the big companies in place and preventing competition from even starting.

I believe patents should exist, but for very specific methods of achieving a result, not the idea of it. For example, search engines, the idea should not be patentable, but the very specific code used to run the engine should be. People may say that Copyright covers that, but it's not clear to me on how it covers digital creations.

If the little company's product can be easily stolen, then it was probably a shit product to begin with. Facebook never used patents to protect their IP, neither did Twitter, or Instagram, or Rovio, and these companies are now with millions and billions of dollars now. Software patents aren't used for protection, they're used to attack competitors. If you're good at what you do, your product speaks for itself, and competitors simply can't copy them successfully because it's not in their DNA. Perhaps a better example is games. Games cannot be patented or copyrighted. A game can be taken by anyone and reproduced freely, as long as they use their own trademarks and assets. So how is it that there are so many successful indie games out there? Surely someone will copy them, right? Nope, because they have a compelling product which speaks for itself. Other companies may borrow bits and pieces, but that's a good thing! It's the process of innovation.

In the end, patents were designed to allow open innovation. Today they're used to stifle it. Software isn't like hardware, it moves very rapidly, and everything is derivative. Once you claim that your fork of an existing idea is your property, you start killing progress, and that's simply not on.

I'm most interested in Google Now (on my Nexus S).

Personally, I've never felt the user interface to be slow or laggy enough to annoy me. I even run a live wallpaper that cycles through all my gallery photos displaying them as fancy polaroid stacks. (App is called photowall if anyone is interested *no I don't work for them :P*)

my phone just received it's latest update - 4.0.3.

yay.

:-|

Android 4.0 is perfectly fine. Chances are someone will port 4.1 to your phone on XDA.

I spoke to a Samsung engineer, and he told me that they're already working on Android 4.1. The update shouldn't take as long to push out as previous releases (Android 2.3 to 4.0 was a major PITA for everyone).

Now running 4.1.1 on my GNex, with the hacked MoDaCo Wallet app. I have $50 on my Google Wallet using that virtual CC app they described.

Very nice experience, I must say.

My phone has told me there is an update but I don't have wifi where I am so have to wait until I am home.