strifus

Mouse Mats

Just wanting to know what you guys out there use for your mice, erm...or mouse. I myself have used several different kinds from the shitty old small mouse mats, to the plastic surfaces of the ricochet and glass surface made by steel (circa mid 2000ish), to my current favourite, and in some way back to genesis, razer series of gaming surfaces (one of the goliathus range, the large ones in particular. I liked them so much Ive bought 2 over the past 6 years). So lets get this one on the road.

I've had 2 Razer Exactmats and they both ended up being rubbish.

Now I've got a Razer Scarab and it's flawless. Love it.

Razer Goliathus Control here and love it. Bought it about 5 years ago when I started rubbing the laminate on my desk away playing SOF and BF2. Been very happy with it ever since - used with G7, G9 and G9x mice.

I had a Razer Exactmat used it for a good cple of years

Now i used and totaly love the Razer Vespula

Have used a lot, from reversible hard plastic to metal and I always go back to cloth mats.

The razer range is good. I probably prefer the precision now as I'm doing a lot of ranged sniper work, but it is still smooth enough to feel good. And we all want to feel good.

Used Razer Exactmat for years, I prefer a hard surface.

I now use the Roccat Alumic as it's a little bigger and I've tried to get used to low DPI movements for certain games.

Really just figure out if you like hard or soft, rough or smooth, then buy the appropriate size mat (or dual sided if you don't know what texture you prefer).

Lol, I just found this mouse pad from XFX, with "patent pending ESS technology" I didn't know a curved edge was something you could patent.

A piece of cardboard taped at corners.

Works perfectly. Cost? Not much. My boy got to play with the leftover. 1 piece will typically last a year.

Good response. Thin. Because it's on a wooden desk, nice and hard.

Perfect.

AD

A piece of cardboard taped at corners.

Works perfectly. Cost? Not much. My boy got to play with the leftover. 1 piece will typically last a year.

Good response. Thin. Because it's on a wooden desk, nice and hard.

Perfect.

AD

That's the good thing about laser mice, they work on pretty much any surface (besides glass to my knowledge). So you dont HAVE to go out and pay for one. i use mine purely for a comfort thing.

While laser has superior tracking, it's still best to use a surface with color consistency as well as level. small bumbs and grooves make a difference not only to the feel fo the mouse but also its tracking. Obviously certain people notice the differences between surfaces and mouse tracking more than others, but I'd always suggest using a pad if you take your gaming fairly seriously. If you play online FPS with any level of competitive attitude you really should have a good pad.

I use the limited edition Cata mouse pad, but tbh i want to swap for something a little more 'Non-nerd' friendly.

The number of times i have flung that mouse pad into my wardrobe to prevent women from seeing it warrants a change.

i have the Razer Goliathus, i got the large one, which is HUGE but im pretty happy with it :D

Have used a lot, from reversible hard plastic to metal and I always go back to cloth mats.

The razer range is good. I probably prefer the precision now as I'm doing a lot of ranged sniper work, but it is still smooth enough to feel good. And we all want to feel good.

Yeah I have large and a regular sized speed ones for my different desks but the M60 doesn't like them as much as the G5 did. Might try a control that I lent a friend with it, it actually tracks slightly better on the desk than on the speed mat where the G5 didn't like the desk anywhere near as much.

I've been using the Goliathus Extended (Speed Edition) for about a year and have no problem with it. Felt SO very much better than my old eXactmat. That old mat had been worn down and I'd dropped superglue on it which melted away the plastic in an area...

I'm kinda tempted to try a good hard surface again though, not because I dislike my cloth one, but purely because I'm a terribly indecisive person :P

Used a razer goliathus for about 6 months and its stuffed already the top layers comming loose just got a steelseries cataclysm its a bit thinner then the razer and feels a little smoother

Was that the refreshed Goliathus with the stitching all around the edges to prefent fraying and the top layer coming off?

My refresh one I have been using for about a year and the top layer of cloth is still stuck down as good as the day I bought it!

Just go with a plain blue cloth-topped neoprene mat. Easily as slippery as the most expensive gaming mat, cheap as chips, portable.

To give you an idea of longevity, mine was possibly a promotional item, but whatever logo it had wore off years ago.

Edited by SquallStrife

Was that the refreshed Goliathus with the stitching all around the edges to prefent fraying and the top layer coming off?

My refresh one I have been using for about a year and the top layer of cloth is still stuck down as good as the day I bought it!

I think mine was the control dosent have stitching on the edge the top layer peeled off about 1/4 across flipped the mat around and wore out the other side as well in its defence i did give it a fair hammering

I've never been one for 'fancy' mouse pads but I got a Roccat Sota on sale when I built my current rig a few years ago now and it's been excellent. If I ever found myself in need of a new mouse pad I'd buy another Roccat in a second.

I think mine was the control dosent have stitching on the edge the top layer peeled off about 1/4 across flipped the mat around and wore out the other side as well in its defence i did give it a fair hammering

It is a tad annoying how they peel like that. Mine is 5 years old and is now a slightly-smaller-than-large as I cut the corner off originally to fit my desk layout, and have had to trim another 5mm off it since to get rid of the peeling edge. Seems to work okay in stopping the peel though if you cut it and have a nice fresh edge again. I think once the peel starts to roll back then your wrist movements probably rip it off pretty quickly if you don't do anything about it.

Posted Image

Edited by Moph

I use a shiny bathroom tile with felt glued to the bottom. Its large, it tracks excellently, its easy to clean, its non-grippy and should it ever be required, it can be used for self defence at lans!

I don't use one.

I use a shiny bathroom tile with felt glued to the bottom. Its large, it tracks excellently, its easy to clean, its non-grippy and should it ever be required, it can be used for self defence at lans!

That's what mechanical keyboards are for!

Thermaltake Dasher. Well, dont really have it now, Im ordering one, only 15 bucks from Officeworks clearance sale. Its size impresses me and look forward to appraising it as my Mousepad of choice.