Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
falconmick

Best Gaming Headset! 2012 June

Ok, I started looking into headphones, my main needs are Music/Movies but I want 5.1/7.1 for my occational gaming trip

Currently looking into theses headphones:

Astro A40

new, have got some amazing reviews

hard to get in Australia atm

Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A

Really good quality + cheap

Razer Tiamat 7.1

10 drivers, Ohhh fancy

but people having grounding issues + bass over powering

Bad bad bad mic

way too expensive

ROCCAT Kave Real 5.1

currently I am using Gamecom 777, which I love to peices, my only issue with them is that ive snapped the headphones off multiple times because I move my headset around allot (to lans) ive fixed em, but it's a pain in the ass.

Best thread of 2012, 5.1 headphones being good LOL WAT

How about just getting some good headphones and a clip on mic and live in the world of good audio?

+1

Just get a clip on mic and a set of AT AD700 or SH HD 280 Pro (what i have) or something.

much better.

I've been using a Turtle Beach EarForce Bravo for a few months. It's servicable, but the mic won't work half the time, have to disconnect/reconnect. I'm happy with it for $40, but I would not have been happy had I paid the normal $199 asking price.

I'm going back to my AD700's as my gaming headphones as soon as I can get a decent mic on it. I lost my Zalman clip-on, but I never hugely liked it anyway.

Going to order a ModMic as soon as their store is back up (www.modmic.com). A boom mic that attaches to any set of cans. It'll make my AD700's into a perfect gaming headset :D

Ill have to say im using the SteelSeries Siberia V2 , and ill have to say, they have been proberly the best pair of headsets ive ever gotten. ive recommended them to all my mates and they have exactly the same answer im giving you right now. Apart from all those logitech, creative ones steelseries knocks them out in my books.

I'm late to the thread so this is probably useless info now, sorry.

As you are prioritising movies and music then you are better off getting a good set of headphones and adding a 3rd party mic, as jdog and ninjacatfish suggest (I read up on the ModMic a few weeks back and it sounds great).

Good gaming headsets will not be as good as music headphones for movies and music, but vice versa is said to be true too. Designed for different functions.

If you are not really an audiophile then good enough and cheap enough and comfortable may be all that you need.

If you are an audiophile then you know that 'cheap' is not a term you should be looking for. Price and Quality scale up together quite well when it comes to headphones.

Edited by Opy

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME.

Got you covered for both gaming and music.

Quite expensive but excellent. My opinion is buy the best headset you can afford. It will outlast your computer, hopefully a few of them.

Checking out pccg today I saw they have the Beyerdynamics DT440 for $149. I'm tempted to buy a pair just for the laptop, just can't decide if I can justify it.

Well for media/music there is always the case of some really good studio headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Headphones they are around $169 which is cheap in a way. But if you are wanting something that has great "Bass" and very clear sound, you can't go wrong with these. If you compare Shen's to these Headsets, they are much more bang for your buck.

Corsair Vengeance 1500 7.1 is a marvellous headset.

It's quality feels firm and drubale. It's comfortable as hell and has an onboard Dolby soundchip providing sweet SWEET audio coming at the graciious of price of $100.

It was solid purchase for me even with my strangely shaped head.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-1500-dolb...g-headset.html/

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I got myself a set of razer megalodons, and i must say, as my first pair of 7.1 surround sound headphones - even if it is virtual- they are certainly amazing when playing cod or the like. the controls on them are also awesome. the mic also works well, only grip is the mic is on a fixed rod, so can only be moved around the headphone, farther away/closer to the mouth. the mic sensitivity and volume options should however take care of it. they also come in a very handy case to take to lan parties in, even if it's a pain to get the cabling in the case.

However, my flatmate reckons that they are not as crisp as they should be, and i have noticed it when playing music after he mentioned it.

so basically, for gaming they are awesome, but for music/movies i'm sure theres something better out there. I'd probably go with the headphones + clip on mic suggestion.

For what its worth, I've got a set of Logitech G35. The volume is lacking, there's no real clarity or separation in frequencies and the surround isn't that good. Also, you have to use their software which rarely works. The mic seldom works in-game and the voice morphing gimmick is just that, a gimmick. Overall I wouldn't recommend these to anyone.

Buy some decent headphones from www.headphones.com.au (good 'cause you can send them back and they are cool with it)

My suggestions would be: Audiotechnica: A900s or AD900s or the Beyer Dynamic DT250s (Comfy, good sound not too heavy on bass), the Audiotechinca 'phones are really comfy.

Then add a modmic. They are on backorder so I am anxiously awaiting mine.

http://www.modmic.com/

You really, honestly are better off buying good quality/high end cans and then adding a mic. You kill two birds with one stone.

- Good headphones for music/movies

- add a removable mic for gaming.

saves yo money give yo nice tunes.

Edited by gun_sl1nger

Exactly what I did and posted about earlier up the page :P

A few months later, still very happy with my ModMic. Attaches reliably to the AD700 headphones I have, mic quality is excellent.

All I need to find now is some sort of braiding or wrap or something that will let me turn the 2 cables into one neat fat bundle cable. The ModMic's little cable gets tangled easily and would be much neater attached to the headphone with some braiding or similar.

No idea where to get the materials or how to do it though.

Ill have to say im using the SteelSeries Siberia V2 , and ill have to say, they have been proberly the best pair of headsets ive ever gotten. ive recommended them to all my mates and they have exactly the same answer im giving you right now. Apart from all those logitech, creative ones steelseries knocks them out in my books.

i got one of these last year? Is awesome, still use it, only set me back $80. I can't find a good equivalent for less than double that price. Awesome bass, awesome music, awesome gaming. 9/10 - Would bang.

-1 as they are really bulky, and hard to use with my phone on the bus, back when I did that.

Exactly what I did and posted about earlier up the page :P

A few months later, still very happy with my ModMic. Attaches reliably to the AD700 headphones I have, mic quality is excellent.

All I need to find now is some sort of braiding or wrap or something that will let me turn the 2 cables into one neat fat bundle cable. The ModMic's little cable gets tangled easily and would be much neater attached to the headphone with some braiding or similar.

You could try using heatshrink, although not to sure how smart it would be, as you need to use heat to shrink it, and I can't imagine the headphone cables liking excessive heat. not sure about where in australia, and i'm also not sure of the price- i just know about it from a friend who uses it for tidying cables in rc planes. I wouldn't heatshrink the whole thing as well, just at set spaces along the cable.

Had a Turtle Beach Z6A for a canal phones before deciding to sell it. Biggest piece of shit ever. Cheap built quality, awful sound quality, very vague 3d....can't think of any redeeming feature/s. In fact, it has put me off the brand for good.

Been using a Creative Tactic Sigma 3D for a few months and it was perfectly acceptable for a $70 headset. Tiny bit uncomfortable for my ears after a while but depends on your head. 3d was better than the Z6A even though it used software for the surround.

Recently, I bought the Razer Blackshark and I can't fault them. Smaller drivers than the Creatives but sound much better. I prefer the fact the Creatives use a usb connection for ease of use rather than having to plug a headphone AND mic connector in every time but it's a small inconvenience.

I prefer having a gaming headset for gaming rather than a separate headphone plus mic setup.

For recording music I have a pair of DT250's which cost about $250,but they're very flat for monitoring rather than pleasing, bass heavy sound enjoyment.

I also have a pair of Shure canal phones which are brilliant for music.

I still love this till death to us part.

Posted Image

Comfortable, spacious and rich in sound.

Price is great too.

EDIT: I'm sorry I realised I already posted in this....

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

ModMic sounds cool, but I am not impressed by their website or estimated 1 month+ waits. Good to know they fit nicely on AD700s.

As for combining the cables, you could use cable sleeve and heatshrink as suggested before, but that seems a little extreme and permanent. Allow me to suggest cable ties, they are about $1.50 for a packet at the supermarket and you could easily remove it again if you needed to.

Posted Image

I still love this till death to us part.

Posted Image

Comfortable, spacious and rich in sound.

Price is great too.

EDIT: I'm sorry I realised I already posted in this....

A friend of mine got these. I'm thinking of grabbing the 2500 model. I wonder if it's worth the extra cash...? Good to see nice reviews though.

Posted Image

I've had these for about a month now.

Bloody awesome, far and away a better thing than the Gamecon 777s (which are the best in its price bracket I might add) I was using. The passive isolation is one of the best I've used, they're nice and light music and game sound reproduction is fantastic and the mic is extremely clear.

If you like the look of them and have $180 to spend on a headset just buy them. Oh and they are now available in a traditional Razer green and black motif if you don't like the orange.

As for combining the cables, you could use cable sleeve and heatshrink as suggested before, but that seems a little extreme and permanent. Allow me to suggest cable ties, they are about $1.50 for a packet at the supermarket and you could easily remove it again if you needed to.

Posted Image

So simple, I actually don't know how I didn't think of that :P

Heatshrink or braiding would look much nicer and a bit less DIY, but yeah as you say, a quite permanent solution which could pose problems if I wanted to reuse the mic on a separate set of phones.

I think I will grab a packet of cable ties this evening, thanks for the idea! Should make things much tidier :)