Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

HP N40L discussions

While these things have been around for some time now, I only just bought one the other day with some disks and extra RAM and am waiting for delivery (hopefully today) and I will be using it as a NAS.

But, I figured I'd post here to see who else has one and what they have done with it.

There is a heap of info over at OCAU on this - http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/HP_Microserver

I'm pretty interested, but haven't pushed the button. What are you going to be using it for?

Are you going ESXi with pass-through HBA/storage? WHS or BSD/Solaris?

I don't have the time to play any more, so I was thinking either WHS or FreeNAS (latest Beta is looking good) on the Microserver and a RaspberryPi or JB AppleTV 3 running XBMC for HTPC.

Are you going ESXi with pass-through HBA/storage?

The HP N40L and N36L does not do pass-through.

Just storage at this stage, I am thinking of putting a GPU in for HTPC duties as well.

Yeah that is a good write up. When I owned my n36l I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with it. Its a really well put together unit especially at that price point. I'd like to know if they make any money on it .

When I had it I used it as my training box for Solaris 11 and a few things running in virtual box before building my all in one ESXI white box.

Also a heads up currently $265 at shopping express.

www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-nas-658553-371/658553-371

Edited by mudg3

Finally get some time to play with this thing....and my drives aren't showing in the BIOS!

I can hear them power up but nothing visible in BIOS or the OS (Ubuntu).

Nope.

Doh, when I unplugged cables to install more RAM I didn't push the SATA cable all the way in, so it looked right but needed that tiny little bit more to click into place.

So now it is ok.

Edited by iamthemaxx

Was going to say sounds like the backpain is fucked, The Mini sas cables can be a little pain, what kind of storage is yours going to hold?

I'm unsure.

I'd love to play with ZFS and L2ARC, BTRFS/EXT4+LVM+RAID but I don't really want to be chopping and changing as it'll be my primary storage at home (media, backups, user data etc).

I suppose it could also be used as a game server, for mine craft or similar. Nothing too intensive.

I suppose it could also be used as a game server, for mine craft or similar. Nothing too intensive.

The N36L I used was more then happy running 4 OS's all doing things and was under load most of the time, One of which was a visualized minecraft server under windows 7 with 4gb of ram.

I went with Ubuntu 12.04 with mdadm RAID5+LVM+ext4.

Still copying all the data off the old server, but once that is done I can make it a 6TB array instead of just 4, which will be nice.

I have used the N36Ls for a few clients now.

The NAS project I got POTM for a while ago has since been greatly expanded and these little guys seemed the perfect fit.

I pretty much run them with Samba, Netatalk (servicing time machine), Freepbx where warranted, rsync and I have recently been using crashplan to backup those servers that are out in the wild.

It's relatively simple to get them to offer VPN connection too. I haven't seen one really break a sweat so far.

I used a similar processor and board to build a similar low wattage server for home but had hard disk requirements that the small form factor couldn't service. I still have one here though that I use for testing and prebuilds before rolling out updates.

I sincerely love these things. The current contract I have is for a client with about 60 sites around the country. Currently their setup on each is about as guerrilla as you get and I am trying to slowly bring them up to something better. At the moment, workstations are being used as "servers" for each site with minimal backups traversing the VPN. This would be a scenario where I could see a low cost, multi disk server working to aggregate backups and even if I can't improve the data allocation to the WAN, I could see at least a monthly snapshot occurring to disk.

I have noticed the price increase from the previous model to the N36L though but still, if you can find them cheaper, they make for a great little DIY NAS.