Sign in to follow this  
fajw

What is the best drive to host Windows XP?

If you must use Windows XP normally (not in a virtual PC), what is the best to use? Is it alright to use an SSD or is there some sort of compatibility issue?

but there's no reason that I'm aware of why you can't use one

firmware compatibility with the OS?

hmmm....not that I'm aware of....I know that 'TRIM' doesn't happen automatically, for instance

Yes I wouldnt use an SSD with Windows XP. Not recommended. Though it can be done, performance is not the best.

Windows 7 is far more optimised for SSD's than Vista and XP, and if you were to purchase one and currently only have XP as your OS, then I would suggest that you also get an OEM copy of Windows 7 64 Bit.

If you want to stick with XP and get a nice performance mechanical Hard Drive I would suggest a Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III model. It is backwards compatible with older SATA II hardware as well. Nice fast drive.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I wouldnt use an SSD with Windows XP. Not recommended. Though it can be done, performance is not the best.

What do you mean by 'performance is not the best'?

Windows 7 is far more optimised for SSD's than Vista and XP, and if you were to purchase one and currently only have XP as your OS, then I would suggest that you also get an OEM copy of Windows 7 64 Bit.

If you must use Windows XP normally (not in a virtual PC), what is the best to use?

If you want to stick with XP and get a nice performance mechanical Hard Drive I would suggest a Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III model. It is backwards compatible with older SATA II hardware as well. Nice fast drive.

I think I would prefer a hyrbid.

He means that since Trim support is not native, after a few months the drive will see quite signifcant slowing to the point that it's not any better than a normal mechanical drive.

He means that since Trim support is not native, after a few months the drive will see quite signifcant slowing to the point that it's not any better than a normal mechanical drive.

Okay. You sure about that? I wonder if you dual boot with Windows 7, when you use Windows 7 it will do the TRIM thing on the Windows XP partition.

If you like I'll link you to a half a dozen links stating that Windows XP does not support TRIM. Depending on the SSD some have tools for XP, but no TRIM support.

What's the requirement for keeping Windows XP if you can boot Windows 7 on it ? Your solution would work yes, since an XP partition is no different to a Windows 7 partition (NTFS).

I think Windows XP is not as resource hungry as Windows 7 since its an old OS. Thus an SSD is unnecessary for quick loading times, etc. Why do you want to use XP anyway? I understand if you would like to run older programs and games, but what seems to be the hassle?

While Windows 7 requires 1gb of ram and Windows Xp will run on as little as 128mb, Windows 7 resource management is MUCH more efficient than XP. Windows 7 vs Windows XP on the same machine is much faster, gives up resources easier, and is a much better OS.

I'm not bashing XP, it was a great OS. But Windows 7 is better.

Also, don't go looking at resource monitor and confusing the fact that Windows 7 is 'using' more system resources than XP does. It's simply allocating those resources to Windows for quicker utlilisation if necessary. If an application needs it, it gives it up quick smart.