Sign in to follow this  
saluy

Total War: Rome II

Hey Atomicans,

Rome TW is of the most played games in my inventory so I am sooooo happy to say that CA is bringing out a second one.

here is an overview of it.

The devs talk about the game

and finally it wouldn't be a game without a Trailer

Not sure about you but I need to clean out my keyboard and get ready for this game.

Sal

Edited by saluy

sunk so many hours into rome TW 1, pretty excited about this, beach landings sound insane, makes me happy to see that creative assembly is really evolving the IP rather than just reskinning the same stuff.

I sunk sooo many hours into TW:Rome, not so such the games that followed they didn't appeal to me in the same way that Rome did so I'm excited to see Creative Assembly come back to this time period.

Edited by GoFaster

OMG I thought this may never happen but fuck yes! thank god there is still one PC dev who cares about games and hasn't whored themselves out to the highest bidder (EA/Activision/Ubisoft)

WOOOOOOOT!!!!

This is a dream come true. RTW is the one in the series that revolutionized the series and took it to a new height imo.

Plus. ROMAN FUCKING LEGIONS!!!

Fuck yeah!!!! SPQR MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Looking forward to playing this. I like the ideas the devs are aiming to acheive too.

Yeah, its great to hear. But I was hoping to CA's next installment for something new, not another sequel. Maybe China or maybe a pre-Roman European setting. Still, I really liked Rome Total War.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Awesome news!

I haven't played a lot of Shogun 2, have they fixed the bug that allowed the enemy to bring reinforcements in from behind you when you are defending a bridge over a river? God that used to annoy me with the TW series!

Awesome news!

I haven't played a lot of Shogun 2, have they fixed the bug that allowed the enemy to bring reinforcements in from behind you when you are defending a bridge over a river? God that used to annoy me with the TW series!

Its cheap but not really a bug, you learn to deal with it and if your attacking 2 armies with one then you are IMO doomed to fail.

WOOOOOOOT!!!!

This is a dream come true. RTW is the one in the series that revolutionized the series and took it to a new height imo.

Plus. ROMAN FUCKING LEGIONS!!!

Fuck yeah!!!! SPQR MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

I will squash your legions with my spartans :S Edited by nesquick

pffft, unwieldy phalanx would be easily out-maneuvered and crushed by the infinitely more organized, better equipped Legions cohorts.

Edited by Oracle X

The AI was always easily dispatched, I just made a box formation with 4 battalions of spartans with the general in the middle then walked off and left it for 10mins was pretty much guaranteed victory everytime, you just couldn't attack a fort with them >.<

I also really liked some of the factions that used cavalry with mounted archers, was really good for hit and run style warfare where you could punch way above your armies strength.

Edited by nesquick

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Awesome news!

Its cheap but not really a bug, you learn to deal with it and if your attacking 2 armies with one then you are IMO doomed to fail.

It's very cheap, but I maintain that it is a bug for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it isn't about attack, it's about defence. River regions with a bridge crossing should allow you to hold that bridge as a defensive choke point. That choke point, as in the real world, should act as a "force multiplier" allowing you to devote less resources to the defence of that region.

Secondly, the enemy spawning in behind you can bite you on the arse (pardon the pun) even if you have a larger force due to there being a limit on the number of deployed units. It seems terribly unfair for the AI to get a free flanking manoeuvre from behind you when you control a commanding location at the bridgehead.

Finally, in Napoleon, I would regularly defeat larger armies by using real tactics that Napoleon employed at the time - that being the strategy of the "Grand Battery". Fill the middle of your line with guns and elite infantry, and your flanks with Dragoons and and Chasseurs. If the enemy is on the attack, by the time they get through your artillery barrage their morale is so low that they're pretty much combat ineffevctive. If you're on the attack you use your Dragoons and Cavalry to harrass the enemy's lines until you can bring your guns into position.

Another thing that used to annoy me a little was that a small fort was always far easier to defend than a large one. I always though that there should be more guns on larger forts, and that there should be a fort garrison who would serve largely to man the guns.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, like I said, having not played a great deal of Shogun 2, I don't know whether they fixed up the river bug.

Super excited for Rome 2!

The AI was always easily dispatched, I just made a box formation with 4 battalions of spartans with the general in the middle then walked off and left it for 10mins was pretty much guaranteed victory everytime, you just couldn't attack a fort with them >.<

I also really liked some of the factions that used cavalry with mounted archers, was really good for hit and run style warfare where you could punch way above your armies strength.

LOL.

Nah! Roman discipline all the way!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Re the bridge thing, what if the river was shallow and the bridge was only there for wagons? your troops could just wade across it or if I was attacking you then you would also be vulnerable to incoming projectiles being grouped up so much, don't get me wrong its a sound strategy just one that only works so well because the AI is so dumb in some circumstances.

Re the bridge thing, what if the river was shallow and the bridge was only there for wagons? your troops could just wade across it or if I was attacking you then you would also be vulnerable to incoming projectiles being grouped up so much, don't get me wrong its a sound strategy just one that only works so well because the AI is so dumb in some circumstances.

No doubt they will bring the AI up to date with the latest games and hopefully improve it some.

Rome TW is bay far my favorite strategy game. Hope fully they can mold some history into the single player campaign say like a button you tick that has the factions follow history in their rise and fall.

Cant wait to read about what improvements they are planning or if there will be a bunch of different scenarios and hopefully some new historical battles.

also a better money management system would be sweet. the latest TW games from the medieval remake just haven caught my imagination in the same way Im bloody excited they are doing a remake but soon Id like to see TW venture into something new in the series. Futuristic or the WW's or even a Plantery spin off.

CANT WAIT!

Yea money management was a pita, empire was the worst, managing every region by the time I won was taking about 45mins per turn -_-

OMG I thought this may never happen but fuck yes! thank god there is still one PC dev who cares about games and hasn't whored themselves out to the highest bidder (EA/Activision/Ubisoft)

I'm not sure those companies ever cared about PC gaming tbh :P

But you're right, it is nice to see a developer still making games solely for the PC.

The one thing I missed from RTW was the awesome cavalry charges that would swipe an enemy formation from the map if you hit them just right. And then they nerfed it and you would lose momentum 1/2 way through, get bogged down and slaughtered. :-(

Edited by Oracle X

Forget about cavalry, what about the bloody war elephants and chariots, they gave me the shits big time because I couldn't resupply armies with enough legionaries and just had to buy the cheap principeis (spelling?) which just got decimated by those sort of units .