Hippiekiller

Triple output displays on a graphics card

Hello,

It has been ages since I posted here but I figured I needed an answer I can rely on.

I have been wanting to use 3 monitors on my computer.

I tried using a PCIe card and PCI combination but i couldn't get a set up working properly with some old cards I had lying around.

So i purchased an Asus ENGT640-2GD3 card.

Asus ENGT640

My understanding of the specs on the asus website was that it would use the nvidia surround technology and be able to "drive upto 4 HD displays"

So assumed that I should be able to get 3 monitors working by using any combination of the 1 x HDMI, 2 x DVI & 1 x VGA

But for some reason i cant get it working.

I am trying to work out why this is the case but in the meantime i was hoping that someone on the forums could recommend an Nvidia Video Card(s) that can definately output to 3 sources.

The 3 outputs would be for

1 x Computer Monitor (checking emails, using office apps, surfing the net etc etc.)

1 x TV Displaying videos and so forth (I dont mind using a HD output, or even just getting a DVI or VGA to composite converter if needed)

1 x Displaying still images such as jpegs and tiffs.

I don't game so i don't need the latest and greatest, but I would just like to have a reliable card that can do the job and uses an Nvidia GPU..

Oh, and i'm still running windows XP and will continue to do so for this purpose for a while yet.

Any advice for a card would be greatly appreciated.

try using 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI (then also try that DVI on the other DVI port if the first one doesn't work).

the problem is probably ASUS has it using 1 TMDS for the DVI ports and HDMI which basically means you can only use 1 at a time.

Edited by nesquick

try using 1 VGA, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI (then also try that DVI on the other DVI port if the first one doesn't work).

the problem is probably ASUS has it using 1 TMDS for the DVI ports and HDMI which basically means you can only use 1 at a time.

Thanks for that nesquick. I did try as u suggested as well as every other combo i could come up with. However I still do not get the options in the nvidia control panel to set up 3 displays :-(

Can you suggest a card that you know will do 3 video outputs?

I even tried calling asus today to ask them which of there cards would do this, but the guy i spoke to just kept telling me to look on the nvidia website... which pi$$ed me off a bit as that is what i did in the first place!! lol.

What motherboard do you have, does it not have onboard video?

I have a DVR G5314 motherboard.

I will double check but from memory when you have a PCIe graphics card plugged in, the onboard video disables itself...

I know it doesn't work with the other graphics cards I was trying.

check the bios to see if there is an option to use both or you may need to set the onboard one to be the primary monitor then run two monitors off the GT640.

check the bios to see if there is an option to use both or you may need to set the onboard one to be the primary monitor then run two monitors off the GT640.

I just finished testing it again.

In the BIOS I can set the graphics to be

IGDT (onboard graphics)

PEG/IGDT

PCI/IGDT

PCI/PEG

PEG/PCI

But i do not have the option to set the Onboard graphics as the "Primary" display and then use either the PCI or PCIe as a secondry output.

When i choose any that involves the IGDT after the system boots into windows its just like before, I can detect all of the monitors that connected to the GT 640, but I can only choose 2 and NEVER 3 outputs.

If i boot of the onboard graphics then I cannot even open the NVidia Control panel as it tells me it hasn't detected an Nvidia Graphics card....

I also tried the latest Beta drivers from Nvidia but these didnt help ethier

OK, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with your card but everything I have read says you can use all 4 outputs at once.

How are you setting up the screens, in windows built in tool or via Nvidia's?

OK, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with your card but everything I have read says you can use all 4 outputs at once.

How are you setting up the screens, in windows built in tool or via Nvidia's?

I am setting the screens up via the Nvidia Control panel. When I check the windows Display config, I only ever see 2 monitors...

when I have 4 displays plugged in, I can see that all 4 displays are available withing the nvidia control panel, BUT i can only ever select a 2 monitor combination... I can not select to configure 3 or 4 monitors.

This is the same for if i am trying to set up a horizontal or vertical span as well as trying to set up 3 or 4 independent configurations.

I have also tested on another motherboard as well. an Asus P5P41T LE, but i have the exact same problems.

I have spoken to Asus but they cant seem to figure it out either at the moment

Hippiekiller, did you solve this issue with your Asus GT640-2GD3?

I have exactly the same problem, and I use WinXP too.

I'm trying to set up 3 monitors combination (not for gaming), but, as well as you, I see that all 3 my monitors are detected, and I see only combination of 2 monitors.

Any help is appreciated.