amckern

LGA1156 chipset support 2nd gen Intel?

I am looking at upgrading my CPU from an i3 550 as loading new games is taking longer then i expect, and do not want to invest in a full rebuild.

I know that the LGA1156 supports first gen i3, i5 & i7 - but can i install 2nd gen i core in it?

If not, what would be the best CPU i could upgrade to?

The computer only has a micro-atx 250W power supply (installing a 2nd stick of ram stops it from booting) so i would expect first gens to have the same power needs?

Link to mobo info: http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_...268&lang=en

Edited by amckern

The current mainstream Intel Chipset is the z 77 based on Socket 1155. Z68 and p67 were also socket 1155.

Your Motherboard supports the previous socket 1156. As far as I know current Intel socket 1155 CPU's will not wotk in a Socket 1156 motherbaord even with a Bios update (I could be wrong on this). You are restricted then to the first gen Intel i series. You may still be able to purchase a first gen i5 CPU second hand on ebay or check trademart on this website.

It may be cheaper or at least more cost efficient to purchase a simple z 77 motherboard and a current gen basic model i5.

1155 CPU's WILL NOT work on your 1156 motherboard due to how 1155 has one less pin in wont fit.

It may be cheaper just buying a mini ATX Z77 motherboard and a i5 CPU and keep the rest of your computer.

fine, i'll have to keep an eye on trade mart and see what comes up in first gens.

I am quite restricted to what i can put in the box, as i said its a 250W power supply, and sits inside a sugo case (quite tight) - if i get a new mobo, i would also need to get a new power supply, that would mean, its just better to start over.

fine, i'll have to keep an eye on trade mart and see what comes up in first gens.

I am quite restricted to what i can put in the box, as i said its a 250W power supply, and sits inside a sugo case (quite tight) - if i get a new mobo, i would also need to get a new power supply, that would mean, its just better to start over.

Yes I would totally recommend a new PSU - betwen a 450w and a 650watt depending on what your doing. You would be able to use more of the RAM.

What video card are you using? Hard drives?

good idea mate save some pennies and move the old system on. thats your best shot.

As you can see by my signature, i have:

SilverStone Sugo SG06 Case [micro atx]

i3 530

Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo

Seagate WD10-EADS 1.0TB Hard Drive

9800GT

2GB GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC (it says 4gb, but wont boot with 4gb, due to not enough juice from the PSU)

Teac DV-W28S-R DVD+/-RW

I am reluctant to upgrade, as this PC pushes good FPS on all the FPS killers, even at large res - only thing i want to do, is improve load times of games - ie LA Noire takes 3 mins to get to the title screen - ME3, takes 90 seconds to connect to EA severs

Edited by amckern

An SSD will fix long loading times and it cost around $150 - $200 for a decent one like the Intel 520 120gb.

Edited by cohmoddersolo

if its a generic 250w $30 psu then i agree replace it with something decent

if it is a half decent psu though (as unlikely as that may be) you should be able to upgrade to a new cpu\mb just fine they dont use that much power

your choice of gpu would be limited to low-mid range though

There is still a little life left in your system and if your motherboard and cpu is still going strong and it does most things to you satifaction then perhaps and interim upgrade may be worth considering.

A new video card, RAM, PSU and SSD and you'd have a decent rig again. Then even o/c the CPU as these chips have a fair bit of headroom available, should be able to get close to 4ghz with it.

---pccg--- what i would get if it were me and was hell bent on keeping the case-

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) $62 --(throw that GEIL stuff in the bin as it is possibly the worst brand ever for reliability and stability)---

PSU: Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX $89 -should fit your case

GPU: HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB $259 - exhausts the hot air out the case... and uses bugger all power

$410 + whatever SSD.

or ditch the whole thing and buy a bitfenix prodigy and build a beast!