jdog

GTX 460 Fun..:D

So following on from modz thread earlier in the year about GTX 460 overclocking I decided to tweak my cards some more and see what they can do.

I already hit 1ghz core but knew i could get higher so i when about trying different settings untill i got stable at 1005mhz core and 2036 mhz memory.

I can easily hit higher memory at a lower core but wanted try and see what is the max i get out of the cards before i replace them a pair of GTX 580's soon.

These results where done over a period of months:

So first i started a 850mhz and passed heaven basic:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2243179_jimba_...76.73_dx9_marks

I then bumped it up a little bit to 870mhz and tryed 3dmark 06:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2260816_jimba_...t%29_9046_marks

After seeing that was stable I then decided bump it up again and run heaven again and see if that could improve my score:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2243183_jimba_...22.22_dx9_marks

So with that stable why not try for a little higher? how about 910mhz:

In heaven Basic:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2243190_jimba_...76.73_dx9_marks

3d mark vantage:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2256137_jimba_...%29_91.23_marks

So with 910mhz cracked why not try for a big shot? 983mhz in vantage?

http://hwbot.org/submission/2256137_jimba_...%29_91.23_marks

and heaven basic:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2243195_jimba_...22.47_dx9_marks

Ok,then how about 1ghz core?

03:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2297810_jimba_...%29_36361_marks

05:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2296817_jimba_...%29_17966_marks

Aquamark:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2296822_jimba_...29_123931_marks

11:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2256160_jimba_...t%29_1726_marks

all pretty good but i think i need more tweaking to get a much higher score and also change some other stuff as well.

still not sure why more score are so low..

will try for 1015 mhz core and 2200mhz mem later.

Some alright benching there but seriously why are you still fixated on GTX580's? just buy 2 GTX670's or 2 HD7970's if you intend to run 3 monitors with a huge resolution.

i dunno if im seeing the wrong results but 91 marks in 3dmark vantage?? that cant be right? it says youve got the slowest card out.. surely somethings amiss there..

Edited by mattyamdfanboi

i dunno if im seeing the wrong results but 91 marks in 3dmark vantage?? that cant be right? it says youve got the slowest card out.. surely somethings amiss there..

He's also trying to have the lowest scores on HWBot :-P

Does seem to be a prob with the scores.

I have two 460's as well OC'ed to 775 and 1900. The CPU overclocked to 4.5

I ran the heaven3.0 bench with dx9 and presets (my monitor at 1080p, it takes your default res).

My score was 2107.

Did you turn off vsync before benching?

Some alright benching there but seriously why are you still fixated on GTX580's? just buy 2 GTX670's or 2 HD7970's if you intend to run 3 monitors with a huge resolution.

I would of got a 680 but the reason why i need a 580 is due to compatiability issues with the autodesk animation software I used (3ds max,maya etc) the GTX 580 is the latest on the support list and none of the keplar cards are offically supported.

thats why nothing else.

@nobody: yes and no its just this happens they are low so i thought why not? :P

@Katalyst: Im not if i did,would that cause a issue? also i may of been a driver issue causing such low frame rates?

Edited by jdog

go to bios disable all power saving crap and set cpu fan to full on then overclock your cpu.

btw your scores can go down if the overclock isnt stable on your video cards.

i take it your cpu is running@stock.

just because the 680 isnt on the supported list for maya etc doesnt mean it will have problems.

loads of my cards that i used werent on the supported list for inventor and autocad but worked flawlessly.

wasn't Kepler designed for that sort of stuff in particular? (maya and GPGPU applications)

Keplar was but the consumer cards (680 etc) suck at it badly.

@AMD Akimbo: Ill take your idea on board that could be a issue but i ran 3d mark and heaven etc straight after each other and it didnt crash but just ran slow 3d mark. I did get artifacts when i played BF3 though that happens all the time even at stock so i think its a driver issue. ( am running 300 series beta drivers atm due to issue with the WHQL ones,anything under just causes issues)

I would of got a 680 but the reason why i need a 580 is due to compatiability issues with the autodesk animation software I used (3ds max,maya etc) the GTX 580 is the latest on the support list and none of the keplar cards are offically supported.

thats why nothing else.

@Katalyst: Im not if i did,would that cause a issue? also i may of been a driver issue causing such low frame rates?

Sorry bout the late response.

Re the vsync. It will limit your frames to your monitors hrz, skewing the result's.

Re the drivers. It may well be the problem. Use driver sweeper and try installing latest stable. I'm running 296.10

Something is definitely amiss there, with those results though.

This may be a silly question. But do you have sli enabled in the nvidia control pannel?

Also I found that if I had anything other than "nvidia recommended" under sli control method (with the latest drivers). My frames went way down.

thats why nothing else.

Sorry bout the late response.

Re the vsync. It will limit your frames to your monitors hrz, skewing the result's.

Re the drivers. It may well be the problem. Use driver sweeper and try installing latest stable. I'm running 296.10

Something is definitely amiss there, with those results though.

This may be a silly question. But do you have sli enabled in the nvidia control pannel?

Also I found that if I had anything other than "nvidia recommended" under sli control method (with the latest drivers). My frames went way down.

I have only one card so SLI shouldnt be enabled. But ill reinstall the latest stable driver (300 something, 196.xx gives me issues) So switch off v-sncye and update drivers should fix it..I hope.

I have only one card so SLI shouldnt be enabled. But ill reinstall the latest stable driver (300 something, 196.xx gives me issues) So switch off v-sncye and update drivers should fix it..I hope.

Oh that explains a lot. I thought you had 2.

Not quite so bad then.

Not quite so bad then.

but it still should be way higher shouldnt it?

Not quite so bad then.

I just ran 3dmark06 with one of my cards disabled, to get a comparison.

I got 25065. Over 15000 difference, suggesting you have got some kind of issue for sure.

I also noted that you got 115th out of 115 for gtx460's on hwbot.

If I was in your position, I would find an online guide for your mainboard, and double check your bios settings.

If I still had low scores, I would take the drastic step of re-installing windows, drivers, AV programs etc, to rule out software issues. Then go from there.

Not quite so bad then.

I got 25065. Over 15000 difference, suggesting you have got some kind of issue for sure.

If I was in your position, I would find an online guide for your mainboard, and double check your bios settings.

If I still had low scores, I would take the drastic step of re-installing windows, drivers, AV programs etc, to rule out software issues. Then go from there.

is your card the 1GB or 768MB version? My card is a Gigabyte refrence 768MB version.

Ill take your advice but my mainboard shouldnt be at fault (its rock solid) and bios is everything at stock minus XMP on and speedstep etc is off (wanted the full grunt of CPU all the time) I would prefer not to reinstall everything as i have go everything set up for uni etc (this is my main work computer)

hopefully i should be able to sort everything out though.

Edited by jdog

Not quite so bad then.

is your card the 1GB or 768MB version? My card is a Gigabyte refrence 768MB version.

Ill take your advice but my mainboard shouldnt be at fault (its rock solid) and bios is everything at stock minus XMP on and speedstep etc is off (wanted the full grunt of CPU all the time) I would prefer not to reinstall everything as i have go everything set up for uni etc (this is my main work computer)

I got a 1GB Gigabyte card. Well two, but I disabled one for the test.

Re-installing everything is a right pain in the arse. And it may not even be software. So, its up to you.

Your card may even be damaged and not working at full capacity. If you really need it working, maybe a PC repair tech is the go. Just be wary of personnel information you leave on there, as some of them are snoopy pricks.

And it seems its not illegal to copy your data.

Not quite so bad then.

I got a 1GB Gigabyte card. Well two, but I disabled one for the test.

Re-installing everything is a right pain in the arse. And it may not even be software. So, its up to you.

Your card may even be damaged and not working at full capacity. If you really need it working, maybe a PC repair tech is the go. Just be wary of personnel information you leave on there, as some of them are snoopy pricks.

And it seems its not illegal to copy your data.

Yeah, luckly i know a guy who deals with computer stuff so ill get him to check it out for me ( i know how to fix most things but GPU's can be hard to find a issue with.) Do you know any software i could use to test out to see if it fualty? it runs fine on both desktop and in games 9BF3 has artifacts from time to time but this is a well known issue with BF3 and the GTX 460 cards)

thans for relpy man,many thanks.

Yeah, luckly i know a guy who deals with computer stuff so ill get him to check it out for me ( i know how to fix most things but GPU's can be hard to find a issue with.) Do you know any software i could use to test out to see if it fualty? it runs fine on both desktop and in games 9BF3 has artifacts from time to time but this is a well known issue with BF3 and the GTX 460 cards)

thans for relpy man,many thanks.

Best I can think of is Afterburner. Have it running, then run a benchmark, then go back and have a look at the history graphs that show percentage of gpu used, clocks, temps etc.

"Best I can think of is Afterburner. Have it running, then run a benchmark, then go back and have a look at the history graphs that show percentage of gpu used, clocks, temps etc."

Agree, Afterburner is a quite a good program for checking the stability/performance of your GPU. Iv been using for a couple of years on multiple cards and it easy to use and reliable.

would 3d mark11 be good enough of a GPU stresser? I know heaven is good but that is notorious for killing cards.

Jdog, i found a lot of issues with drivers not liking the card once they went over the 1087 volt mark. even if the cards where stable 3dmark and heaven crashed within seconds because of then drivers. Another thing is i found when benching in SLI mode that sometime 3dmark11 didn't like mismatching mem speeds. It would randomly crash, i think for my top score run i had to run 3dmark 11 almost 10 time to get it to do a full run without crashing. The difference for that score was 1 card was at 2000 mem while the other was at 2320. which is a huge difference. I could not get my second card to go as high as my other one. i was left to guess what the nice outcome would have been if i match them both at 970/2320. my 8221 sli score could have been and easy 8500 if the second card would go higher.

Ill be replacing my cards with a pair of EVGA 660 Ti's soon enough so the games can begin again.

also, you can ignore the "officially supported" list for nvidia's card. with adobe and 3dsmax there is a way you can manually add the cards to get the apps to recognize them. my 460s where not supported either when CS5 came out and i just added them to the txt/ini file then they showed up.

Edited by Modz

Hey modz, thanks for the info.

Ill try lowering the mem speeds and just clock it up high.

also i assume the ini file is in my documents folder. right? ill add my 460 to it then.

I know the 680 isnt supported in max/CS5. its just they cost way too much ($700) and also dont overclock that well (you cant change the volts on them) so thats why ive got a 580 on the way. a 7970 is the next best thing but ive stuck with nvidia just because it works well for me..and why change something that works? plus ive wanted a 580 for a while..:D

A GTX 680 has GPU boost or something, doesn't it? A little auto-overclocking ability. Besides who needs to overclock *THAT*?? i rather have one and not worry about overclocking at all.