Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Maverick

Hey Atomicans,

I thought I'd post about my housemate's dog, since I have a few pictures and videos of the absolute best little dog I've ever known or lived with.

Yesterday was just a normal day - apart from being my birthday- just working and such, I popped into mums for some dinner before heading home.

I put the car away, went up to the back door, it was locked. Strange.

I let myself in and see a pot with vegies on the stove, but not cooking and noone was about, this was odd....

I ring my housemate and he says "Mav got run over, we're at the vet now, I dunno how it's gonna go"

Turns out he took Mav for a run, like he does at least twice a week, he never needed a lead in the 2 or so years of his life.

During the run, Mav had sat on the side of the road, near the edge, distracted by something that dogs tend to be interested in, a cat, a leaf, whathaveyou.

A ute was headed along the street, slowly, my housemate attempted to get the dog to move from the edge of the road saying something along the lines of "come on, Mav" , but this guy wasn't paying any attention and just ploughed right over the dog before anything could be done.

He stopped about 10m further, got out and said "You shouldn't talk to your dog like a Human"

My housemate goes "You just ran over my dog, you dickhead!"

He rushes to pick him up, instead of offering a lift home, the guy just gets in his ute, and drives off like the mindless unattentive tosser he was...

He carried the dog about ~1km home, with him being run over the mid section and his pelvis, he was biting his arm, drawing blood.

They took him to see the vet, he was good enough to come in right away.

they sedated the dog overnight, wanting to comfirm injuries by Xray in the morning, he was put down this morning =[

It's hit everyone pretty hard, we're all very attached to the little guy, here's some pictures of the Cavalier King Charles - Maverick

Plus a video =]

Also, I didn't resize pictures, too bad if you're stuck on 56k

Loves the tennis ball

Posted Image

Posted Image

Freshly trimmed! Swag!

Posted Image

He who controls the spices, controls the universe - Dunedog

Posted Image

Mav's very favourite activity, going in the ute!

Posted Image

Tired doggy!

Posted Image

:( :(

Damn, horrible when that happens, I guess we are lucky, live in a very quiet street and the cat, whilst healthy, is old enough he never really leaves the garden.

Commiserations mate, just not nice, not nice at all.

Cheers um no, not a cheery subject...

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I knew a bloke that used to run over cats on purpose, what an arsehole.

There are certain parts of Australian in which I unashamedly aim for cats.... Not in the suburbs though.

It's always sad when a loved family pet is lost in those circumstances. We were lucky enough to have a little Fox Terrier for the better part of 16 years. When he died I wasn't at all upset because he'd had a great life.

However, having also lost a dog to traffic, I know how upsetting it is. I'm sorry for the loss of your little pal.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Having lost a special cat I had for 13 years, I know the grief can be tremendous.

Take care.

Hmm,

feral cats are somewhat different, but yeah, I'm pretty certain I've lost a couple of cats to deliberate run overs - pass the gun...

Cheers

so sorry to hear of the loss of a loved companion, esp in such a way.

Karma will sort out the twat who was driving.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I'm not trying to start a shit-storm, but there's a few points with regards to the driver.

Firstly, the dog wasn't on a lead.

Secondly, as someone who does a lot of driving, there are a lot of things that require your attention while doing so. He may have been checking his mirrors at the time and didn't see the dog. I'm sure the accident was an accident.

Thirdly, while he should have offered to help the owner, he may well have been shaken up by the incident himself. Sometimes we get frightened or startled and say things we don't mean, or neglect to do things we should.

I wouldn't be too hard on the fella. Yes, he could have done better but sometimes things happen.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

I'm not trying to start a shit-storm, but there's a few points with regards to the driver.

Firstly, the dog wasn't on a lead.

Secondly, as someone who does a lot of driving, there are a lot of things that require your attention while doing so. He may have been checking his mirrors at the time and didn't see the dog. I'm sure the accident was an accident.

Thirdly, while he should have offered to help the owner, he may well have been shaken up by the incident himself. Sometimes we get frightened or startled and say things we don't mean, or neglect to do things we should.

I wouldn't be too hard on the fella. Yes, he could have done better but sometimes things happen.

Exactly, shit happens,

The dog should have not been near the road, the driver should look where he's going.

That's about it.

There are certain parts of Australian in which I unashamedly aim for cats.... Not in the suburbs though.

It's always sad when a loved family pet is lost in those circumstances. We were lucky enough to have a little Fox Terrier for the better part of 16 years. When he died I wasn't at all upset because he'd had a great life.

However, having also lost a dog to traffic, I know how upsetting it is. I'm sorry for the loss of your little pal.

You are a fucking cunt.

That is all I have to say on that matter.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

You are a fucking cunt.

That is all I have to say on that matter.

Hold tight, aren't you the bloke that had me on ignore?

I'm a cunt? Do you have any idea of the environmental damage that cats do in this country? I don't go about trying to run over pets, but if I see feral cats then yeah, I'm a cunt.

I suppose you think that animals live in a wonderland of love and joy with no pain or sorrow? The reality is, most animals in the wild die a slow and painful death. The difference with being hit by the car is that there's very good chance that the death will be considerably faster and less painful. In doing that I'll be saving a native animal from having it's throat ripped out by a noxious introduced pest.

How do you think an endangered Bilby, that previously had no natural predators, feels when it's having it's throat ripped out by a feral cat? Is the cat a cunt too?

Cheers Xen, nice to be chatting again.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Yeah and the first post i see when i take you off ignore is you making a complete fuckwit comment.

I'm a cunt? Do you have any idea of the environmental damage that cats do in this country? I don't go about trying to run over pets, but if I see feral cats then yeah, I'm a cunt.

In that case shouldn't you be run over for the environmental damage you do?

I suppose you think that animals live in a wonderland of love and joy with no pain or sorrow? The reality is, most animals in the wild die a slow and painful death. The difference with being hit by the car is that there's very good chance that the death will be considerably faster and less painful.

No i understand how the real world works.

How do you think an endangered Bilby, that previously had no natural predators, feels when it's having it's throat ripped out by a feral cat? Is the cat a cunt too?

Probably the same as one feels when you run it over mistaking for a feral cat

Don't worry it won't last long, I'm putting the block back on.

Morgoth, Sorry to hear about that mate it's always terrible to lose a pet especially one that's been with you for a long time.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Yeah and the first post i see when i take you off ignore is you making a complete fuckwit comment.

And here you are, first post off ignoring me, making a complete fuckwit of yourself by calling me a cunt. It's quite the paradox isn't it?

I know, people having different views on the world can be terribly confronting.

In that case shouldn't you be run over for the environmental damage you do?

Perhaps. I do try to reduce my environmental impact, a decision that I have the ability to make. Unlike a feral cart.

I suppose you think that animals live in a wonderland of love and joy with no pain or sorrow? The reality is, most animals in the wild die a slow and painful death. The difference with being hit by the car is that there's very good chance that the death will be considerably faster and less painful.

No i understand how the real world works.

So why the tears?

Probably the same as one feels when you run it over mistaking for a feral cat

That might be true if you've never left the city and don't know what a marsupial looks like. A cat is quite distinctive in the way that an elephant is quite distinct from a rhino.

Don't worry it won't last long, I'm putting the block back on.

Don't worry, I'm not worried.

See ya!

EDIT :- If you can still read me, you might want to look up "1080 Poison".

It's a cruel world out there!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

guys chill, not the place for that kind of argument... I don't think any animal should have to suffer a potentially slow agonizing death.

anyway morgoth sorry for the loss, I know what its like to see a pet hit by a car, our German Sheppard was hit by a vitara about 10 years ago but she was lucky and wasn't to badly injured by it (through some insane strike of good fortune) the bimbo who did it just kept driving and the next door neighbors who saw it couldn't care less they just went back to drinking.

Sorry to hear about the dog.

My Aunty lost a dog from a driver hitting it, he cut the corner taking some of the foot path and clipped the dog. (just missing my Aunty as well)

Thing is though my Aunty was a cop at the time and went apeshit at the driver and booked him for careless driving

Sorry to hear about the dog.

My Aunty lost a dog from a driver hitting it, he cut the corner taking some of the foot path and clipped the dog. (just missing my Aunty as well)

Thing is though my Aunty was a cop at the time and went apeshit at the driver and booked him for careless driving

a fine doesn't bring your dog back though :/

a fine doesn't bring your dog back though :/

true, but still she could do something to the guy who just killed her dog.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

guys chill, not the place for that kind of argument... I don't think any animal should have to suffer a potentially slow agonizing death.

No, but unfortunately that's the way it goes in the wild.

Look up "1080 Poison". I reckon being hit by a car would be far preferable....

I'm sorry to hear that Morgoth :( poor little guy. Hope your housemate is coping okay.

Some lovely photos there

No, but unfortunately that's the way it goes in the wild.

Look up "1080 Poison". I reckon being hit by a car would be far preferable....

You missed the point I made completely...

if you want to discuss how to kill animals go start a thread about it.

Sorry to hear about that Morgoth, that really sucks.

My dog is 16 years old now and is a Labrador, not sure how long she's got left. At least she will die of old age though, it's tragic when friends and family are taken away from us early, and dogs almost certainly fall into that category.

Settle Gretel's. :)

Feral cats really can be a huge problem in Oz, it's because they don't, in the wild, get enough taurine, or so my vet tells me, produces bizarre affects, they both go insane and grow huge and vicious.

When I lived in the mid-north of SA we used to once or twice a year go cull them - hated it because I love cats but really it was putting them out of their misery, I don't think there is any way you could recover them.

My boy gets all the food he needs and no more, bitches about it but he always has grazing food and gets wet food, of differing varieties, once a day. I think I've said before, I've no idea how old he is, but a cat with his tail up, whenever the little bugger is awake, is a good sign. :)

As to driving - yeah, a number of years ago I was minding my own business driving down a road and one dog was chasing another, I avoided the first, the second ran straight into the side of my car and killed himself.

A somewhat rattling experience and, not that it mattered cost me a bit of panel beating. A local came out, checked the dog confirmed he was indeed dead and went to find a spade to bury him. Was never sure on that I assumed he had an owner somewhere but with no collar and pre-chipping how do you know?

Dogs do need to be on leashes, for their own safety as much as anything else, putting cats on leashes - good luck.

I do sometimes wonder if cats even belong in Australia, totally introduced species, but with responsible owners and believe me I am, they are fine and we never see mice or rats on the property.

He's old, doesn't wander, well, he did a few weeks ok, but I think he just got lost, I swear he has Alzheimer's, sleeps most of the time, but he's fine overall.

When he goes I honestly do not know if I will adopt another one, never been without one in my life, but I do wonder what it's cost me in scratched furniture etc over the years - funny buggers :)

Cheers