Hey Atomicans,

I've been looking for a 2 bay NAS to use at home as a download server, somewhere to save all my movies, music etc and to play them on my xbox at home or ipad/iphone when I'm out.

I've found a Synology DS212J on ebay for $230 delivered which seems like it will do everything I'm after. Does anyone have any experience with this product, thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey Atomicans,

I've been looking for a 2 bay NAS to use at home as a download server, somewhere to save all my movies, music etc and to play them on my xbox at home or ipad/iphone when I'm out.

I've found a Synology DS212J on ebay for $230 delivered which seems like it will do everything I'm after. Does anyone have any experience with this product, thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey I've got a Synology ds409j which has been awesome so far.

It is pretty damn good at streaming music and has a nice clean UI for doing so, the new UI is web based with lots of AJax goodness so it looks clean.

Do note that if you are going to play files through the xbox it works very well but you may need to convert files to actually play such as WMV's and some AVI/MPEG files depending on the type.

I had a go managing it via Ipad / Android but it was a huge mess a while ago, not sure if it has improved since then.

As a download station it had pretty much everything you would need including inbuilt torrent search for a few torrent sites.

Quick question - is the reason for a 2 bay NAS budget? The reason I ask is that it's a bit limiting in terms of your raid options.

I am a raid 5 fanboy though :)

I would have thought a 3 bay would be a lot more flexible if you can afford it.

Just thinking out loud :)

Hey MacDude,

Budget is part of it, was looking at the 4 bay version but decided the 2 bay would probably be enough. If I wasn't just storing easily replaced movies and music I'd probably opt for a 4 bay NAS and run it in RAID 0.

Thanks for all the pointers.