Sign in to follow this  
meowkitty

Motorcycle black obelisk

Seems a bit extreme, I don't know why Japanese bikes have locked ECU's

BMW, KTM, Triumph, MV etc have programmable ECU's from the factory.

I can just plug my bike in with an OBD-II cable and upload new maps, diagnose etc.

That guy is keen. Considering the large number of programmable ECU's, piggy-back fuel controllers, etc that can be purchased for not much money, I'm not sure why this guy would bother trying to reverse-engineer the ECU instead of just buying/creating his own or some kind of piggy-back controller. Kudos to him though, especially for the diagnostic display unit. Very cool.

i personally like the bit where he gets all the data. but doesn't know what to do with it next lol. :D atleast he's enthusiastic about something, unfortunatley i can't really say the same about myself. i needs me a hobby ><

Yeah he could have used an off-the-shelf solution, but this is a great exercise and very stimulating. Much respect for all the work he did. I would have bailed after finding it was locked!

Considering the large number of programmable ECU's, piggy-back fuel controllers, etc that can be purchased for not much money,

Are these available for motorcycles or just cars? Not something I am up with as I gave up road bikes when the carburetor still ruled.

Considering the large number of programmable ECU's, piggy-back fuel controllers, etc that can be purchased for not much money,

Are these available for motorcycles or just cars? Not something I am up with as I gave up road bikes when the carburetor still ruled.

There are various units available for both, but especially for motorbikes. Most commonly they are just a piggy-back type unit to control fueling and that's it so that after a new exhaust/intake is installed your bike doesn't run rich. You effectively get the same result as a jet kit except it is the fuel injection equivalent. You can buy a fully programmable ECU's for both cars and bikes however they are generally expensive and require good knowledge of the unit and the bike to make any kind of gains.

Ah cheers tmac. I remember well the pain that was rejetting and testing a carburetor bike after fitting performance exhausts, smooth bore carbies and the like.

Ah cheers tmac. I remember well the pain that was rejetting and testing a carburetor bike after fitting performance exhausts, smooth bore carbies and the like.

Haha it's as easy as plugging in a USB cable and downloading new maps these days. I must admit that I do prefer the idea of mechanical performance over digital performance, it feels much more rewarding to me!