SUlrich

Water Cooling options

G'day fellow Atomicans,

I am building a watercooled PC and I am wondering which is the best choice of waterblock - pump - reservoir.

Gear so far: Enermax Fulmo GT case

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3

Intel i7-3770K

Corsair Dominator GT 2133 C9 (4x4GB).

I am going to fit a triple-fan radiator, either the "Black Ice GT Stealth 360" or "Koolance Copper Core CU1020V High Flow"

in the roof of the case, and I would love some feedback about my various plans for the waterblock-pump-reservoir.

1 - a standard waterblock such as the "XSPC RayStorm" or "Koolance CPU-370"

- a standard pump "Swiftech MCP655 ", "Laing DDC" or "EK-DCP 4.0" with matching reservoir-top

2 - the new "Swiftech Apogee Drive II Waterblock with Pump" with either a 5 1/2 inch bay or standalone reservoir

3 - standard waterblock as in #1, with a single or dual bay reservoir/pump combo such as

"Koolance RP-401X2 Reservoir/DDC pump", "XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir/D5 pump"

As far as option 3 is concerned, I am leaning towards the Koolance reservoir because it can be filled without removing it from the bay.

I'm not really interested in the all-in-one solutions such as "Corsair H100" because if one thing fails, you throw the lot away.

I am after both reliable cooling, as well as an uncluttered look.

I won't be fitting anything to the bottom of the case as that is being saved for a GPU cooling loop in future.

Any thoughts, past experience, advice etc will be gratefully received.

Simon.

Edited by SUlrich

my advice: no dyes or coolants. use distilled water and primochill liquid utopia.

get good tubing, something like primoflex. if you want colour get coloured tubing.

you've picked soem good parts already in regard to the water block, and pump.

I'd get the blackice rads I've always used them and they've been fantastic quality.

I've heard some bad stories about koolance reservoirs so personally I'd steer clear of them and stick to xspc. xspc also currently have a pump reservoir combo on pccg. comes with a d5 variable pump. awesome value.

finally. dont buy cheap stuff, the ek pumps seem decent enough but I just dont trust them long term. D5 (mcp655) and ddc's have been around longer and have been the staple of watercooling pumps they're tried and tested and have pretty good records as far as breaking goes.

Thanks for the quick reply tunksy;

1- I was intending to use Primoflex 1/2 ID 3/4 OD

2 - Black Ice rad it is

3 - pity about the Koolance reservoir, XSPC was my second choice anyway.

Thanks again, Simon.

Edited by SUlrich

you cold buy a XSPC RayStorm D5 kit and get it all in one may save you a few $$

655 pump has the rep for being the most reliable and fairly quiet but not as efficient as the ddc which uses less power and provides higher pressure which is good for a multi block loop

the ek pump has been around a while now and seems like rather good value being close to half the price

Edited by Dasa

Thanks Dasa,

the XSPC RayStorm D5 kit is a good idea, unfortunately the radiator is just a bit too thick to fit.

Simon.

Thanks Dasa,

the XSPC RayStorm D5 kit is a good idea, unfortunately the radiator is just a bit too thick to fit.

Simon.

look for the EX series not the RX series mate.

the ex rads are as thin as the stealth GTS rads

look here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=20463

Edited by tunksy

I wouldn't recommend an EK pump, owning one. It does it's job fine, but is a little noisy sometimes and isn't easy to mount, especially if you get a stupid combo res which I tried and didn't like. A lot of the other more common brands have no end of pump tops or mounting brackets available. I have mine just cable tied to the bottom of my case on some foam to deaden vibration.

I've seen a lot of people using the XSPC kits/bay res and they look decent enough, certainly very easy to use.

As for planning a separate GPU loop down the track, doesn't sound like a good idea. Just incorporate it into your existing loop and add more radiator at the same time if you need to. Two loops has very few advantages, involves duplicate pumps, res etc. It's just not a good idea IMO. I'm running a 7970 and 2600k off a single 420 rad and its absolutely fine.

Other advice you've received is solid, look at XSPC EX kits and grab some primoflex tube, colour of your choice, no dye and liquid utopia. I had red dye for about 3 months and it started clogging in my blocks already, so I switched to water and liquid utopia a while back, no problems so far.

My build log is around somewhere, if you're interested, its full of crap photos but you can see how it evolved, from total noob attempt to something respectable. here is a pic, as you can see its pretty neat and uncluttered, all single loop and room for a second video card if I need it. I also just got a 240 rad off tunksy im going to stick in the front somewhere.

You haven't mentioned fittings, going barbs or compression? I like compressions but they can be expensive. Barbs are cheaper and can always be replaced later. 3/8" is my preferred size but you can go bigger or smaller.. just make sure both tube and fittings are the same size.

Edited by p0is0n

i like 1/2" barbs with 7/16" id hose myself nice snug fit i actually get away without clamps but i wouldnt recommend it as they can blow if the loop gets to warm unless you clamp them

i prefer 3/8 tubing and compressions. the xspc compressions are ok without killing your wallet.

next to that i prefer enzotech.... have a look at the koolroom and gammods.

G'day,

thanks for all the replies.

I plan on using Primoflex tubing, 1/2 ID 3/4 OD, with Bitspower compression fittings.

I used Koolance fittings recently when I rebuilt my son's PC, and they didn't hold very well.

I will check out your recomendations, though.

p0is0n, thanks for the pic. Very neat & nicely done, got me thinking.

Thanks again everyone, Simon.

The Monsoon compression fittings are nice and work out a bit cheaper, also available in a pack of 6 with a tool for even cheaper, which if you go the res/pump, cpu block and rad is all you will need. Also available singly if you needed more.

Edit. I would steer clear of the Swiftech block/pump as if you ever want to upgrade the cpu block later on you will also need a new pump.

Edited by stash

G'day all,

I have purchased:

1 x XSPC RX360 Radiator link

3 x Cougar fans link

6 x silicon pads link

and I will be purchasing:

1 x Koolance RP-452X2 Bay Reservoir link

1 x Swiftech MCP655 pump link

3 x PrimoChill 1/2" ID 3/4" OD BLUE tubing link

1 x XSPC RayStorm CPU waterblock link

1 x PrimoChill Liquid Utopia additive link

Bitspower compression fittings as needed

and possibly

1 x Koolance CTR-SPD12X2 Dual 12V Pump Controller link

or

1 x Koolance CTR-CD12 pump & fan speed controller and temp monitoring link

Any last thoughts???

Thanks again, Simon.

if your spending that much and going with the pump controller i would probably be going with this pump Koolance PMP-450S 12/24V $99

just for the overkill option of more power :)

just make the controller 24v to

Edited by Dasa

Not sure you really need a pump controller.. you could get a D5 with variable speed which wouldn't waste a 5.25" bay slot either :)

Else, as lot of pumps now have a tacho which can attach to the CPU fan header to vary speed based on temperature.

I am not a fan of bay res either, but it depends on your chassis and the look you're going for.

G'day,

the pump controller is just a thought, I will get a D5 with manual speed control either way.

The bay res & pump is an attempt to keep the case clutter free,

the only things being visible are the waterblock & the carefully routed tubing.

Also, I can't put the pump/res on the case floor as that is being kept free

for a second XSPC RX360 radiator when I get a video card worth watercoling.

That's the plan, anyway.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Simon.