Sign in to follow this  
cohmoddersolo

setting up 3 monitors with GTX 560

Im currently trying to setup 3 monitors with a Gigabyte GTX 560, a 19" BenQ G900W and 2 "17 LG L1752S. Im finding it quite difficult to configure it physically. I thought of using the mini-HDMI as a DVI port for my 19" and the two DVI as VGA for the 17 inchers but there arent any mini-HDMI to DVI extensions available tho there are HDMI to DVI. Will DVI -> HDMI and HDMI -> mini-HDMI work for the 19 incher? Should I be replacing my card with a Radeon card perhaps? Im not to happy with this card for multi monitor setups really... I guess Nvidia in general arent good for multi-monitor setups compared to AMD.

Sorry, too lazy to look up that specific card so I might be lying, but generally, if you have 2 DVI ports and 1 HDMI (of any variant) then you only have 2 usable ports. 1 DVI port is shared with the HDMI.

So you need a 2nd card and you will have SLI turned off in Windows. You can still have the SLI bridge on. You can try nVidias spanning option but I prefer not having a taskbar across all screens.

Or you need to go for an AMD option. I imagine a 2nd card will be cheaper for the same result and you can go to 2 screens on SLI at any time.

Oh, you can't use spanning anyway with different resolution or even different frame rate monitors.

Trying to setup 3 monitors on XP was something I just couldn't manage to do for my father. If you are on Win7 it shouldn't be a problem once you have the supporting hardware.

Or perhaps you have a GPU on your CPU and another DVI port on the mobo.

I am almost positive that you can't do it. Pretty sure that triple monitor support only applies with 670 and above cards at the present time.

Methinks you'll have to go the AMD route.

Yeah AMD is MUCH better with the monitor setups. you don't even have to go with anything big, even a HD7750 would support tripple monitors (around $110) but if you're interested in something a bit more gruntier. then 7770+ would be efficient.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Ive got Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Damn I forgot to list the specifications of the PC. Here we are:

Core i3 2100

ASRock Z68 Extreme3

Gigabyte GTX 560 OC

Antec HCG 520W

I often play games, most demanding ones are Battlefield 3, ArmA 2 and CoH. I was thinking of selling my GPU then get a Radeon card, but I might get a second GTX 560, tho I doubt my PSU will power the system happily. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Ive got Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Damn I forgot to list the specifications of the PC. Here we are:

Core i3 2100

ASRock Z68 Extreme3

Gigabyte GTX 560 OC

Antec HCG 520W

I often play games, most demanding ones are Battlefield 3, ArmA 2 and CoH. I was thinking of selling my GPU then get a Radeon card, but I might get a second GTX 560, tho I doubt my PSU will power the system happily. What do you guys think?

The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements

Short answer, probably. Depends how many hard drives you have.

But realistically you would probably be better of upgrading to a semi decent Radeon.

Yeah I was leaning towards getting a Radeon. But how about 2 9600GT 1GB? I know this will be a real downgrade, Ive already got one, so Ill just need to find a second one. Im not looking to upgrade my PSU yet and 2 9600GT only draw 150W max so I thought this is the way to go. Yes, it will be hotter and maybe worse than a single GTX 560. Have anyone had experience with 2 9600GT 1GB in SLI running 3 monitors? Or will it even work?

That would be a total waste of time...

The 9600GT will be MASSIVELY slower.

Do you want to play games on all 3 screens at once or just use it for productivity?

If games just sell the 9600GT and 560 and buy a Radeon.

If productivity just use onboard with the 560.

The 9600GT is actually part of my previous PC with a Q6600 Im trying to sell. Then I'll can upgrade my current PC. So if I can sell the Q6600 PC I might get a decent Radeon. Id like to sell or trade my GTX 560 and get a Radeon thats equivalent of or tad stronger than mine.