Sign in to follow this  
wraith676

[PC] Wargame:European Escalation

Hi guys. I thought I would come in and check to see if any of the local ATOMIC community play this game. I have wanted this game since release but only managed to pick it up during the steam sale.

This game rocks. It feels like a tabletop wargame. But in real time. With all the challenge that brings with it. You have to think on your feet. Move your units around to best take advantage of the terrain and the road network on the map.

The huge depth of units available to you is astonishing as well. Opens up a huge amount of variety and strategic and tactical options. Infantry/tanks/choppers all have certain roles on the battlefield and this is reflected in the stats of the unit.

Bringing it back to the feeling of tabletop war-gaming there is a sense of on the fly rolls for movement on terrain.(such as some vehicles getting stuck in the mud in fields) When units take hits its seems like hits are rolled up and certain times crits causing fuel leaks, gear box malfunctions and such. Its great.

Anyway if any of you guys have it and want to do some comp stomps or whatever let me know.

Thanks guys.

Edited by wraith676

I've played a bit of this, quite enjoyed it. I'd be up for some comp stomping on the weekend, drop me a PM with your steam name.

G

I got this at release and have been a little disappointed, its not really my style RTS, so I haven't given it much play time.

I like the idea of it, I just find it boring to play.

That's a real shame Nuke. But i'm the opposite. I find i don't have time to do everything i need to do in order for my battleplan to flow. It will get better when i either learn all the hotkeys or re-bind them to somewhere useful. Its just so darn fluid. But i can see where people who play C&C style Rts games would find the game boring because its not your typical build x,y,z units and attack move across the map style of game.

Ah COH is a great game. Really dynamic feel. Combat was great and the cover mechanics where brilliant.

It was very polished too which helped it a lot.

But in saying that i find that Wargame has a lot of the same deep emphasis on tactics in a similar vein as COH, while still retaining the key strategy elements for the planning and execution stages of the battle.

You also need to have a firm grasp of the battle-space in terms of scouting and knowing what is where and how best to overcome the obstacles. As you will have experienced the same type of game play from COH.

Im wondering if one of the reasons you don't like Wargame is the scale of the battles. Being in a much bigger battle-space and being further away from the battle takes some of the entertainment of the game away from you? I mean there is obviously less in the way of pretty rock walls your tanks can smash through or a lack of buildings which you cant have demolished by the end of the game. Was that what brought you excitement in that game?

For me this game feels like TA/Sup-Com and COH had a baby, and that it matured into something very sexy.

Edited by wraith676

Ah COH is a great game. Really dynamic feel. Combat was great and the cover mechanics where brilliant.

It was very polished too which helped it a lot.

But in saying that i find that Wargame has a lot of the same deep emphasis on tactics in a similar vein as COH, while still retaining the key strategy elements for the planning and execution stages of the battle.

You also need to have a firm grasp of the battle-space in terms of scouting and knowing what is where and how best to overcome the obstacles. As you will have experienced the same type of game play from COH.

Im wondering if one of the reasons you don't like Wargame is the scale of the battles. Being in a much bigger battle-space and being further away from the battle takes some of the entertainment of the game away from you? I mean there is obviously less in the way of pretty rock walls your tanks can smash through or a lack of buildings which you cant have demolished by the end of the game. Was that what brought you excitement in that game?

For me this game feels like TA/Sup-Com and COH had a baby, and that it matured into something very sexy.

Pretty much man, I prefer to feel like I'm right in action, something COH does better than just about any other RTS I have played.

I have nothing against Wargame, it just doesnt give me the same sense when I'm playing it. And tbh, RTS' have always been my weak point.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I'm a massive fan of Wargame: EE and would definitely be up for a game or two.

It still is not better than the classic Close Combat games, but we're getting close. I wish the CC licence holders could get together with Wargame and make a new game, it'd be great!

You can find me on Steam - Xyzzy Frobozz

Yep i can understand that completely. I come from a background of playing a lot of traditional style tabletop war games, such as warhammer 40k.

I get the same kind of feeling when I play Wargame that I do from playing Warhammer. Except it takes less time, uses no dice and is in real time. So with all the deep strategy elements there is also the emphasis of twitch gaming(Reaction to the fluid battle space) on top of a good fundamental old school strat game.

Its great, and I think its the type of game Eugen systems really wanted to develop when they first started the company.

Xyzzy - friend request sent. Cheers for getting back to me mate. Im at about an intermediate level with Wargame only having played it for a few hours but i understand whats going on :).

Edited by wraith676

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Xyzzy - friend request sent. Cheers for getting back to me mate. Im at about an intermediate level with Wargame only having played it for a few hours but i understand whats going on :).

No worries! Got your request, accepted it, look forward to playing!