Sign in to follow this  
ilyria109

Spammers

Hey guys, i don't know if i'm the only person who noticed, but there seem to be alot of spammers joining and posting something on "tech talk"... Is this a normal occurance?

I'm just not really interested in reading about abercrombe shirts or red stilletos in tech talk :P

EDIT: just wondering if anyone else noticed. Am i doing the right thing by clicking report? or...?

Edited by ilyria109

Yeah we notice, just report the stuff you see.

The tech section doesn't get much traffic, so some of it probably does not get noticed...

Yeah Tech has became one of the last victims of this ghosttown pandemic.

I worry what this forum will be like in 10 years. Will I be posting threads to myself in every section and discussing them by myself? Oh that's gonna be fun!

Assuming I'll even last that long.

Life's too short you know.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I only use the View New Posts option, so I see every new thread and post that occurs on the whole forums. I have noticed a few spammy looking threads from time to time, but nothing major.

I only use the View New Posts option, so I see every new thread and post that occurs on the whole forums. I have noticed a few spammy looking threads from time to time, but nothing major.

The ones ive seen are MASSIVE posts.. they're actually quite extensive.

We manage to get ~90% of the spammers before they post but sometimes we have to be at the pub and they get through.

We manage to get ~90% of the spammers before they post but sometimes we have to be at the pub and they get through.

The mod cave must be like a stronghold against these foul spammers.

Holding the line day in and day out...

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Yeah Tech has became one of the last victims of this ghosttown pandemic.

I worry what this forum will be like in 10 years. Will I be posting threads to myself in every section and discussing them by myself? Oh that's gonna be fun!

Assuming I'll even last that long.

Life's too short you know.

Posters need to contribute, People are used to there "feed" providing content to them through the tube without doing anything.

I'm running out of things to reply too, so I've written offline a few articles I'll post here one day :-P

Lots of people, myself included have tried to breath more life into other-wise stale sections of the forums, but the community needs to want to play ball and that hasn't been the case so far.

Gaming is going well I suppose, especially with community groups set up for BF3, F1 2011, and WoT (I know I missed out others). But yeah, tech is a little sad. Still, I'll keep creating new threads as long as I have something to say or ask

Gaming is going well I suppose, especially with community groups set up for BF3, F1 2011, and WoT (I know I missed out others). But yeah, tech is a little sad. Still, I'll keep creating new threads as long as I have something to say or ask

I could make a couple TGR threads as I have some ideas rolling around...Some simple others not so much.

Oh and maybe make a thread about space strategy games in general. As I am just now looking at what is the 'best' or well just great space strategy games like Sins of a Solar Empire etc, I have no experience really with them though...But yeah no longer care about just Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Endless Space and Sword of the Stars...

Edited by TheSingularity

Lots of people, myself included have tried to breath more life into other-wise stale sections of the forums, but the community needs to want to play ball and that hasn't been the case so far.

Hey brew, I try my hardest, when I'm on days off anyway.

And I shall keep spamming posting in them. Got a few article ideas rolling around in my head too just waiting for a moment of sufficient inspiration/boredom to write them up.

I could make a couple TGR threads as I have some ideas rolling around...Some simple others not so much.

Oh and maybe make a thread about space strategy games in general. As I am just now looking at what is the 'best' or well just great space strategy games like Sins of a Solar Empire etc, I have no experience really with them though...But yeah no longer care about just Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Endless Space and Sword of the Stars...

Moar threads, although gaming and tech threads are probably more appreciated than TGR ones. I thought you weren't a fan of TGR anyway?

I was thinking to myself earlier today : Are anyone besides the hardcore people overclocking these days ?

I would of thought heaps of people were these days considering how easy it now is.

Holding the line day in and day out...

Yes. If by, line, you mean my... ahem.

Anyhoo, in regards to overclocking, I think there are probably lots of people doing it - but baseline overclocking is so damn easy, why would you need to go on a forum to talk about it?

Will I be posting threads to myself in every section and discussing them by myself? Oh that's gonna be fun!

Post sober and alternate between answering drunk or sleep deprived.

I was thinking to myself earlier today : Are anyone besides the hardcore people overclocking these days ?

I would of thought heaps of people were these days considering how easy it now is.

I could sugest that the expectation of assumed knowledge was set too high.

As has been said above, definitely, but as hawkeye said, theres no real need to talk about it, unless people have specific questions that they can't find the answers to (which with the way search engines are these days is pretty damn easy) theres nothing to really post about.

I mean, I tweaked my voltage to 1.26 and got my 2500k running at a nice and cool 4.2ghz, but so has every other idiot out there, its not really an achievement any more.

Theres some good benching going on in the GPU section which has lots of tweaking involved, not exactly hardcore (LN2 etc.) but very interesting setups none the less.

And even when you do get to the hardcore, there's a very limited number of people who OC at that level in Australia. I know of maybe a dozen who do it regularly.

It's interesting, though. I know there's a large number of regulars who'd like the mag to go back to its hardware focus, but just looking at the forum activity, it's pretty plain that with the way things have gone... I still think we're better off keeping our games focus.

I would say the state of the magazine effected the forums not the other way around. When the mag was more focused on tech you had a lot more ppl posting in the tech forum. Now that the mag is focusing on gaming you have more ppl posting in the gaming section.

I really don't think that's the case. Tech's been declining on the forum for far longer. And it's old timers, not youngsters, who are keeping the gaming section going. And, so far as I can tell, the impact the mag has on the forums is minimal at best; I suspect there's only the barest cross-overs from print-readers to forum-users to those who actually read the main page. They're three very different beasts, and it's the forum part of the equation where the users have the most control.