Sign in to follow this  
spankdmonke

Good Monitor for $200?

Im looking at this list: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

(it wont allow me to link the monitor list)

In particular the Asus brand. (I like Asus) Which is best out of these 2:

Asus VS239H 23" e-IPS 1920x1080 50M:1,250nits - $179 (IPS is good right?)

or

Asus VS248H 24" 2ms- $194 (dont understand why this cost more with no IPS, because its an inch bigger?)

Or is there something else that i really shouldnt look past?

(p.s dont have a gfx card yet still using i5 HD 3000)

Edited by spankdmonke

its a little but over your budget but look at some of the Dell monitors like the U2410M or the U2311. Both really good from reviews.

Is Samsung still a solid brand? They were back in my day.

Not sure about BenQ either. Stay the fuck away from LG though.

Is Samsung still a solid brand? They were back in my day.

Not sure about BenQ either. Stay the fuck away from LG though.

Yes Samsung are still damn good, same with BenQ. Agreed that LG are shite.

Sorry i cant advise your there on the Asus, as i dont know enough about them, but iv had a good friend change his IPS Asus to a LED Samsung due to issues and very poor customer service for Asus....

Yeah im staying away from LG they always seemed like a cheap brand to me

I chose Asus cause my mobo is Asus and i thought they make quality stuff.

I did have BenQ in mind as my second choice, purely from a year old review i remember they were good.

samsung... some of their tv's look to have just as good picture quality as higher priced brands.

hmm

edit: just realised the Asus IPS has a Response Time: 14ms ... oh thats terrible (i think?)

also im seeing alot of "120hz" being passed around, wonder if these come in cheap

Edited by spankdmonke

IPS is only a big thing for colour accuracy, and it also better viewing angles, though that's not a big deal anymore.

TN (which most are these days), has gotten pretty good, but that's the trade-off -- color accuracy or response time.

The better Dell or Samsung IPS (or PVA) panels have pretty good response times now days though, but are more expensive.

On the 14ms response time ... it depends. They are sometimes reported differently, so it's best to read a review on each. ;-)

That second Asus screen with a 2ms response time is kinda misleading, most monitor manufacturers modify the tests to make them look faster on paper...

I wonder if the cheaper IPS screens even have a very good colour accuracy, or if they use slightly "defective" panels like all these "Catleap" screens use?

I don't think my 27" Crossover "Catleap" IPS screen feels any slower than my old Samsung 226BW TN 22" screen though, and the better viewing angles defiantly help out as this size.