Sign in to follow this  
Leonid

What to do?

Will be watching what happens now..

Could be interesting.

Stepping back and looking at the politics, this is going to go a few different ways.

Just hope we get a statement like:

"We tried a different method that we thought would improve the situation and reduce suffering, but instead it only increased. We must return to the Liberal method. Even though far from ideal, it has caused less suffering."

It's conceding whilst declaring the Liberal plan as humanely flawed, but a lesser evil. (Remember, you don't want to declare your opposition good guys. Gotta point out the flaws).

You could say I'm hoping for a gracious in defeat.

I still believe that this is still the highly publicized "BOAT PEOPLE" thing.

But we are REALLY attacking this the wrong way. By the time the person is on the boat/plane it's too late.

It really requires a bigger clamp down on the other countries in identifying and halting false paperwork and smugglers at their bases.

Tie an appreciable level of foreign aid to the levels of illegal documents coming from countries and possibly work on joint task forces.

Stop the illegals (not refugees. I am declaring that a refugee should be allowed to flee. Like a homosexual in most African nations could claim refugee.) before the illegals even leave the country.

Impose penalties not just on the forger, but also the recipient.

AD

They should have done it after their policy was found illegal. Everything from now and till then was a stuff around

So 63 asylum seekers where rescued at sea, instead of thanking the savour they threaten the captain with violence if he doesn’t turn the MASSIVE cargo ship around pulling them off course from Singapore to Australia.

The poor pirates, come on in boys, the milky bars are on us!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...a-1226451444495

Edited by xnatex

Why don't we just open a centre in Indonesia? Then they can just walk in.

Why don't we just open a centre in Indonesia? Then they can just walk in.

Would probably be safer, that way they wont commandeer any more cargo ships with fake aid calls and threaten their crew's with violence and self harm. Thats one thing i love about the Australian culture, threatening people with violence to get your own way is the Aussie way. Have a visa boys, Il cya around the western suburbs one day

People Smuggling is a Asia-Pacific problem and not just Australia's Problem. If Julia Gilliard was more concerned and along with the Greens of these so called "refugee's" or Asylum seekers then one question has to be asked.

Why is that Malaysia and Indonesia choose not to turn these people around back to where they came from? Why let them pass through their countries knowing full well it is illegal what is happening. Buck passing seems common in these countries and they cannot accept they are more to blame than Australia. And why is the UN turning its back on this problem knowing that Australia and many European Countries are facing this problem.

That the UN has not updated laws that where introduced just after World War2 and insist that countries that signed the UN Charter for Refugees have no Border Control. Have you looked at the Big 3 Super Powers and say they are accepting refugees? If the US,RUSSIA and CHINA would get involved then maybe something to resolve this situation could be done.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

inb4 omg racist

I think it's rather apt.

It's funny, because if I was to pick someone on these forums obsessed with racism, I reckon it would be you....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Here we go, Labor has finally put politics aside and conceded , everyone defending this joke of a policy (or lack there of) we have in place now can have a nice bite out of reality pie

THE Federal Opposition has confirmed it will support legislation for offshore processing on Nauru and Manus Island.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said Ms Gillard had made a “last minute conversion to common sense”.

But said it should have come "much, much earlier''.

Yesterday, the Gillard government accepted all 22 recommendations of its expert panel, which delivered its report into asylum seekers.

"We've had 22,000 illegal arrivals, we've had almost 400 illegal boats, we've had hundreds of drownings at sea because the current government changed a policy that worked,'' Mr Abbott told reporters in Canberra.

"The problem on our borders has to be sheeted home directly to the government of the day.''

Mr Abbott said he'd been saying for years Ms Gillard should pick up the phone to Nauru's president and it seemed she was finally going to do it.

The Greens have expressed outrage over the plan, believing it to be a return to John Howard's policies on refugees.

http://www.news.com.au/national/opposition...9-1226449752006

I think this might be an appropriate time to link the following ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-17/cass...-abbott/4203120

"When Jon Faine interviewed Tony Abbott on ABC's 774 on Tuesday, something unusual happened.

The Opposition Leader's careless use of words was actually challenged.

Abbott, discussing the asylum seekers issue, asserted:

Frankly, we've had 22,000 illegal arrivals, almost 400 illegal boats ...

Faine responded:

They're not illegal. Tony Abbott, do I need to remind you that the use of words in this is critical? They are not illegal arrivals. There is nothing illegal about seeking asylum when you are a refugee.

Abbott:

Well, I'm making my point Jon ...

Faine:

Well, so am I making mine! And I think it's been made to you before. "

They make stopovers at any number of safe countries during their journey here.

So, it makes them just as illegal as an Indonesian fisherman who decides he wants to make landfall at Christmas Island or Broome.

They make stopovers at any number of safe countries during their journey here.

Country shoppers, Down down prices are down

Here we go, Labor has finally put politics aside and conceded , everyone defending this joke of a policy (or lack there of) we have in place now can have a nice bite out of reality pie

THE Federal Opposition has confirmed it will support legislation for offshore processing on Nauru and Manus Island.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said Ms Gillard had made a “last minute conversion to common sense”.

But said it should have come "much, much earlier''.

Yesterday, the Gillard government accepted all 22 recommendations of its expert panel, which delivered its report into asylum seekers.

"We've had 22,000 illegal arrivals, we've had almost 400 illegal boats, we've had hundreds of drownings at sea because the current government changed a policy that worked,'' Mr Abbott told reporters in Canberra.

"The problem on our borders has to be sheeted home directly to the government of the day.''

Mr Abbott said he'd been saying for years Ms Gillard should pick up the phone to Nauru's president and it seemed she was finally going to do it.

The Greens have expressed outrage over the plan, believing it to be a return to John Howard's policies on refugees.

http://www.news.com.au/national/opposition...9-1226449752006

I think this might be an appropriate time to link the following ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-17/cass...-abbott/4203120

"When Jon Faine interviewed Tony Abbott on ABC's 774 on Tuesday, something unusual happened.

The Opposition Leader's careless use of words was actually challenged.

Abbott, discussing the asylum seekers issue, asserted:

Frankly, we've had 22,000 illegal arrivals, almost 400 illegal boats ...

Faine responded:

They're not illegal. Tony Abbott, do I need to remind you that the use of words in this is critical? They are not illegal arrivals. There is nothing illegal about seeking asylum when you are a refugee.

Abbott:

Well, I'm making my point Jon ...

Faine:

Well, so am I making mine! And I think it's been made to you before. "

Faine's wrong.

One can seek asylum and be an illegal arrival. That's what these people are.

Consider this: on what basis do we deport those to whom asylum is nit granted, if not their illegal arrival?

inb4 omg racist

I think it's rather apt.

It's funny, because if I was to pick someone on these forums obsessed with racism, I reckon it would be you....

I think thats rather apt.

It's funny, because if i was to pick someone on these forums who gives me the shits, I reckon it would be you...

I Like what this guy has to say .

Link

Although the blog is mostly about the current Juliar scandal (worth a read), this comment on the SBS propaganda show "Go back to where you came from" makes a lot of sense.

I watched the SBS show last night - it's television so it's highly edited. If you are interested in what I think I've set out a few thoughts below.

1. Australia is a great country, I think it's the greatest country on earth. My forebears fought and some died to keep it great. My first expectation from our government is that it controls our borders. We should choose who comes here, there ought be no route for self-selection. If we can't control that element of our sovereignty we are lost.

2. A wise man told me this. Don't weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness. There are plenty of weak, war-torn countries on earth. Plenty of places with shocking, archaic cultural practices. Work on those weaknesses. Don't weaken Australia's strength in cultural homogeneity and social cohesion in order to make a stab at fixing the weaknesses in other countries. That is be very careful about importing problems here beyond our capacity properly to assimilate people.

3. Adopt the Hippocratic principle. First do no harm. Make absolutely certain that our security insterests are protected. If you want some insight into what I am saying have a yarn with Abdul Nacer Benbrika in maximum security in one of HM gaols in Victoria. Or listen to His Honour Justice Bernard Bongiorno's sentencing remarks as he sent Benbrika down.

4. If you are of the mindset described by these words "Australia should do more" please explain what "more" is. It is very easy unintentionally to do a lot "more" harm than good. Purchasing food and goods locally with overseas currency easily inflates local prices harming markets and people. NGOs tend to attract the cream of local people, denuding local populations of their best and brightest and denying them the leaders that could extract them from the misery of war. Finally should we decide to side with one warlord or another and help them obliterate their clan or tribal enemies? Who is right and who is wrong? The United States tried that in Afghanistan and created the monster Osama bin Laden.

5. I think we need to stand up to crazy Islamism. When the Korans were accidentally burned in Afghanistan that was wrong and more care should have been taken. But the response? Kill all Westerners? Where is the global leadership (Barry Obama in particular) that says to the Islamists "hang on a sec, you blokes have to learn to pull your horns in, you are wrong in your reaction". I don't know why we kowtow so deeply. Don't kill people please. Go easy on the guns and bombs. And have an enlightenment so that practices like female genital mutilation are stopped.

6. Put the effort in to assimilating people who are afforded one of the greatest gifts on earth - Australian residency and citizenship. To live here properly you should speak English and know the law and customs, otherwise your life will be so much harder and less pleasant. We need to put that effort in, to make sure we take the job seriously - that is a duty both to ourselves and to people we invite to come here.

I would be pleased to hear from you - let me know what you think. You can see the episode of Go Back to Where You Came From at the link.

hmmm. And every single one of those points can be countered by another "Wise Man". Sun Tzu in fact (Read: The Art of War)

We need to police the free-loaders, but we need to accept that there are people that if they didn't flee, they'd die.

Differentiating the 2 is tricky.

All the current 'solution' has done is moved where we do the determining of such.

Ideal soltuion? Still waiting. Peace on Earth maybe?

AD

Guest xyzzy frobozz

inb4 omg racist

I think it's rather apt.

I think thats rather apt.

It's funny, because if i was to pick someone on these forums who gives me the shits, I reckon it would be you...

I understand.

It must be shit to have someone constantly getting the better of you...

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

I found a simple solution that'll work well. We know the boats are coming from Indonesia and they don't give a crap about stopping them. So the solution is this. We tell Indonesia, "Fine, we'll accept every boat that comes out way, but we'll deduct their resettlement costs out of our foreign aid to your government", and see how fast the boats stop then. I promise you the boats will suddenly and miraculously stop and we'll all be left scratching out heads wondering why.

But that comes under the umbrella of 'doing something', so it's not going to happen.

And you're forgetting the main game. They want us so divided and focussed on these kinds of divisions that we don't turn our attention to them. Who's going to think about sacking traitorous governments when there are Muslim hordes pouring over the border and taking over society?

Edited by Director

I found a simple solution that'll work well. We know the boats are coming from Indonesia and they don't give a crap about stopping them. So the solution is this. We tell Indonesia, "Fine, we'll accept every boat that comes out way, but we'll deduct their resettlement costs out of our foreign aid to your government", and see how fast the boats stop then. I promise you the boats will suddenly and miraculously stop and we'll all be left scratching out heads wondering why.

I like it.

Didnt America do that to cuba?

Worked wonders from what i heard

Of course, what'll happen is Indonesia will start sinking the boats, and it'll be OUR fault.

AD

That actually drives me crazy when the greenies and their mates play the blame game on Australians.

Of course, what'll happen is Indonesia will start sinking the boats, and it'll be OUR fault.

AD

+1

That or they'll just start shooting them.

It will work wonders on paper, it might not work wonders IRL.

Still, I guess it will stop the boats, therefore we should do it, right? :/

you should run for office