Sign in to follow this  
Moph

Portrait-Landscape-Portrait (PLP) Setup

I've had a Dell 3007WFP 2560x1600 for the last 5 years now and love it. Always wanted to try a 3 monitor setup, so when I saw 2x Dell 2007FP's delivered for $240 on eBay last night I got excited. They're the 4:3 1600x1200 LG IPS panel versions that should match my 3007WFP near on perfectly in height and resolution when in portait mode.

I'm also planning a new build at the moment, to be built in the next couple of weeks. Will be a 3570K + Asus P8Z77-V Pro system. Have got a Sapphire 7970 3GB OC slated for the GPU at the moment but am now wondering if this is the best choice for a 4960x1600 PLP setup? To be honest the main purpose of the PLP setup is productivity not gaming, but it would be good fun to experiment with BF3 / ME3 / Skyrim / Assassin's Creed etc in surround video too.

Anybody running something similar? Are there still issues with running non-windowed games in PLP orientation under current drivers, or has that been fixed since I last looked into this type of setup several years ago? Should I really be stepping up to the 680 (maybe even a 4GB non-reference version) to run this setup, or is the 3GB 3970 going to be okay? Any advice appreciated =)

And just for the drool factor ... here's what I'm hoping for.

Posted Image

Meh looks like PLP support is still lacking, except for SoftTH which is limited to DirectX 9. So probably not going to be useful for gaming =(

Lucky that wasn't my primary purpose in buying them =)

Nice looking stuff. I currently have a similar setup with my 2711 and 2 Dell 24" monitors setup up just like that on monitor arms my Ikea jerker is kinda full now.

I've got a nice large desk so space won't be an issue. What monitor arms do you have them on mudg3? I'd love to get mine off the desk to give more room for pushing keyboards, paper, etc around.

Le desk:

Posted Image

Hrrrrm. Next conundrum is working out how to hook these puppies up.

AVAILABLE SCREEN INPUTS:

Dell 3007WFP ....... DL-DVI

Dell 2007FP .......... DVI / VGA / composite / S-Video

AVAILABLE OUTPUTS:

Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC ........... DL-DVI / HDMI / 2 x Mini-DisplayPort

Asus P8Z77-V Pro / i5 3570K ....... DL-DVI / VGA / DisplayPort / HDMI

The 3007WFP will obviously be connected to the DL-DVI on the 7970, but I'm not sure how best to hook up the 2007FP's. I could put both on the 7970 also using Mini-DP to DVI adaptors, or put them on the IGP using the DVI connection for one and DP to DVI adaptor for the other.

Any thoughts as to which is likely to give the least hassle? I'm guessing driving them all off the 7970 is likely to be the least hassle, and it comes with one Mini-DP to DVI adaptor so I'd only need to buy one more Mini-DP to DVI adaptor to have it all hooked up.

Can't speak to multi-monitor surround gaming, but I do know that running games in full screen with more than one monitor active hasn't caused me any troubles since going dual monitor again in the last 6 months.

I remember years back I had to disable the second screen in Control Panel otherwise games would do weird things, but I've not had to do that recently, I'm guessing something in Windows 7 made multiple monitors a lot more reliable.