Sign in to follow this  
tantryl

Welland Netshare GX to Windows 7 SMB

Having a problem with a Welland Netshare GX at a client's house. It connects to the network just fine, every function is disabled bar SMB & Media Server, drive format and is happily accessible by two computers on the network (one XP SP3 w/ all updates, the other Win7HP64 SP1 w/ all updates). The network is a bog standard DHCP from a TP Link W8960N arrangement. The Netshare GX has a static IP assigned by the router.

The third computer, a Win7HP76 w/ all updates, can't connect to it. It can ping it by both IP and name, it can browse to the config web page, but the sucker just can't connect to the shared SMB address or browse to it through Network. In fact it sees nothing but itself on Network under Computers (whereas the other Win7 machine sees the Netshare).

Things I've done:

- Made sure all appropriate Services are running (Workstation, Server, NetBIOS Helper, etc.)

- Done a net use * /DELETE and used the Credential Manager to delete any existing shares & stored user/passwords

- Reset the N360 Firewall

- Put the Netshare's IP in to allow all types of traffic in and out in the Traffic Rules of N360 Firewall

- Disabled the N360 Firewall

- Restarted for virtually every change I made

- Disabled/unticked IPv6

- Tried over both wireless & wired (both connect direct to the W8960N so no subnet/network funny business)

- Ensured the Workgroup was the same (it was all along)

- When doing Map Network Drive tick the "Connect using different credentials" thing and put in "Workgroup/Guest" as user and blank as password (I'd simplified as much as possible on the Netshare end at this point - this user/pass works fine on the other two)

- Ensured Network Discovery & File Sharing sans password are turned on

- Tried connecting using the IP instead of the NetBIOS name

The Network browsing thing still only lists the local PC. I'm at a bit of a loss.

When you just go straight to the share it straight away gives you "Windows cannot access <SMB you entered>" with the details "Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found.". If you do the different credentials thing it gives you several whacks at the user/pass (which again, works perfectly with two other systems) before delivering the same error.

Ideas?

Apparently they don't use this third PC much so I can probably just do a wipe and re-install, but I'm curious on what's causing it.

Is Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings\network discovery turned on? I have found having this off can sometimes cause pain with finding shares/other PCs on the LAN.

Oh and of course network type must be set to home type, not public.

Also check if the other win 7 PCs are members of a home group and the problem PC is not a member of it. Or vice versa.

Yup, set to Home. Nope, no Homegroup is set up on any of the machines.

Edited by tantryl

Yup, set to Home. Nope, no Homegroup is set up on any of the machines.

Bugger, and oops to me, see you mentioned in your first post. Shouldn't go for a leak part way through reading a post.

:-(

Mmmm I assume this 3rd PC has no internet access problems? Just the network share problem?

No filtering or firewall rules set in the TD-W8960N based on IP or MAC address?

All I can think of to try is

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

rebooting when asked.

Otherwise would have thought something flaky with the ethernet cable or port but as you

Tried over both wireless & wired

I would say that is ruled out.

I fucking hate random network weirdness.

Drastic I know but perhaps reset the TD-W8960N to factory defaults and redo the setup manually.

may also be worth checking the TD-W8960Ns firmware version, just in case an update fixes something.

Yeah, that sounds like good idea. I'm honestly surprised I haven't already tried the netsh + ipsoncig /flushdns yet. That's my go-to. Although more for internet problems. So yes, no internet problems with the notebook. I can also TeamViewer to it no problems so not a weird port blocking. No fancy settings on the TP Link - all default bar the static/persistent for the NetShare. No DNS problems. No pinging problems using the NetBIOS name of the NetShare, happily translates to the correct IP address. Mapping/browsing to the IP address doesn't work. I think I updated their TP Link firmware a couple of months back, but I'll make sure that's up.

But I'll totally try the firmware + modem defaults + netsh + ipconfig stuff, just in case. Let you know how it goes.

Have you tried totally disabling the firewall on the 3rd PC ? I usually find you need to not only turn off firewall, but also go into advanced and turn off the connections the firewall applies to as well.

Any strange anti-virus programs that have a personal firewall on there that could be causing issues ? I'd suggest a port scan of the third pc from the other pc's on the network to check it too.

I had tried disabling Norton and even uninstalling it and leaving the Windows firewall off. Didn't help, put N360 back on.

Will try a port scanner.

Do you have any other network devices you can use so you can isolate whether it's the device or the pc?

Do you have any other network devices you can use so you can isolate whether it's the device or the pc?

is happily accessible by two computers on the network (one XP SP3 w/ all updates, the other Win7HP64 SP1 w/ all updates).

Haven't had time to try anything suggested yet. I should get onto that today.

You could try a direct connection between the NAS and Win7 PC, and a wireshark capture on the Win7 host to see if there's any more useful errors.

Can the Win7 host access shares on the XP host, and vice versa?

Anything useful in the windows or N360 logs?

I would be tempted to uninstall N360 as a test :p

Edited by lew~

I had tried disabling Norton and even uninstalling it and leaving the Windows firewall off. Didn't help, put N360 back on.

Just so Tantryl doesn't blow a fuse over us not reading his posts properly. :P

Just so Tantryl doesn't blow a fuse over us not reading his posts properly. :P

Ah whoops, my bad...