Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

4 minutes ago, Waltish said:

Lota Hard yakka  there Khirareq  👍

It really fucking is - Thanks for the acknowledgement. I gotta go round, pick up all the dead shit off the ground and stack it up. Then go round, and use a chainsaw drop anything dead and untidy. Stack that shit up. Then got to go round with a rake to bust up the dead matter on the ground which is up to 4 inch thick in some places

It's going to take me years to get this shit tidy 

"but why?" some may ask - Well, I'm planning a RC car track, a Downhill MTB track, I got a dam 4 meters deep, so Im going to run a flying fox over it, motorbike tracks. Fuck - I want to get a front wheel drive car, take the wheels off the back and replace them with plough discs laying flat to turn it in to a drift machine - Fuck, I have a rifle range at 2km (I shoot a remington 700 PCR with ATN thermal scope). Also I don't want to lose another place due to fire

I'm "off the grid" - I live in a shitty little caravan in the bush. My power comes from 12v solar and a cheap 2kw pure sine wave generator. If I was to be honest? I wish I had done it sooner

• Like 4
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

First ASV meeting, via Zoom, for the deep sky group.  Fun to hear some people with a lot more experience than me discuss things.  Fun to find other people who mostly take photos of stuff using their phone, tho' held up to a telescope.  Fun to see some automated rigs running via kstar, and watching someone sitting inside control the heating/drew element on the scope, the camera, telescope, and tracking mount.

Pardon my ignorance - ASV? I wasn't able to work out that acronym via google (nor could I find a positive match for Deep Sky Group). Got me excited once you started talking telescopes and shit

Also Kstar in Google is... Interesting

Sorry, I believe you are talking astronomy? I think you are, that's why I got all excited and started googling shit - But I ended up lost

I like. I get it - There's almost zero light pollution where I live, and I had been sort of thinking of a half-dome transparent structure you stand in the middle of, with the constellations marked on it, so you can line the markings up with the night sky

Sorta like that sign in MASH - The one that points to all the countries and how far away they are (Going to make one of them too)

• Like 1

Borrowed one - testing and it looks like this fangled Google Photos thing does let you embed/hotlink.

ACtC-3eJx4lqJzqJm2bECZOyQHQfHRmtYSATgfh8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khirareq said:

I like. I get it - There's almost zero light pollution where I live, and I had been sort of thinking of a half-dome transparent structure you stand in the middle of, with the constellations marked on it, so you can line the markings up with the night sky

My new favourite app on my phone is Stellarium.  Free version (I'm cheap) still lets you either drag the screen around to find something specific, or you can set it up with the phone's sensors, and use it to pan around the sky.  Shows all the big consetllations, but also lets you zoom wayyyyyyy in.  For isntance, I can search for Centaurus and zoom in and see all of the major stairs that make up the constellation.  Can also just search for 'Omega Centauri', zoom right the fuck in and see the globular cluster and pull up some info on it - eg size, mag, RA/Dec, small blurb. 

Basically replaces your dome idea, and also updates things as they move across the sky for different parts of the year, etc.

4 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Borrowed one - testing and it looks like this fangled Google Photos thing does let you embed/hotlink.

Yeah.  Was going to just embed some images on here, but the google photos UI lets you zoom in and out pretty effortlessly.

• Like 1

I've been looking for alternate hosting - Photobucket has been sending me dirty emails for a long time.  And 'sif I'd give them money for their services.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Khirareq said:

Sorta like that sign in MASH - The one that points to all the countries and how far away they are (Going to make one of them too)

umm... you do know there's this, don't you ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t11.skyviewfree&hl=en_AU

or if you are i-mpaired

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/skyview/id404990064

I have a Pixel 2, so my photo uploads have always been free as part of that package.

But I'm pretty sure that anyone can upload photos or images to Google photos for free as long as you're prepared to let them downsample the image if it's over a specific resolution or size.

Cheaper than paying for an AWS or Azure bucket.  Tho' I'm pretty sure you can embed images from Onedrive and Dropbox too.

Oh, I know - Thanks scruffy1 - It's something like that I'd use to set up the markings in the first place

Just, if I'm going outside to look at the stars, I don't want to be doing it via a fucking mobile phone, and fucking around with brightness settings and shit which will affect my night vision

I aim for simple - Just go for a short walk, sit in an outside terrace, and look up - Or, go outside and play with a fucking smart phone...

Edited by Khirareq

5 hours ago, Nich... said:

I have a Pixel 2, so my photo uploads have always been free as part of that package.

But I'm pretty sure that anyone can upload photos or images to Google photos for free as long as you're prepared to let them downsample the image if it's over a specific resolution or size.

Cheaper than paying for an AWS or Azure bucket.  Tho' I'm pretty sure you can embed images from Onedrive and Dropbox too.

Yeah..............I've been using google photos as a backup for about 6 or 7 years (I've got over 10 thousand up there) even though they drop the resolution, the quality is still reasonable when I pull them back down to use.

If you pay, you can store at full res but I just use it as a back up in case disaster strikes................and they are all in one spot!............rather than spread over multiple drives shoved in a drawer.

I've shared them with a number of relos in case I cark it as well.

(is anyone really going to plug in all those hard drives to see what's on them? Hell! Some of them are PATA!)

• Haha 1

I can tell the emergency services there will be busy getting rid of old dead trees after all this.

All the shallow rooted trees would have fallen over ...

Edited by Jeruselem

9 hours ago, Khirareq said:

Oh, I know - Thanks scruffy1 - It's something like that I'd use to set up the markings in the first place

Just, if I'm going outside to look at the stars, I don't want to be doing it via a fucking mobile phone, and fucking around with brightness settings and shit which will affect my night vision

I aim for simple - Just go for a short walk, sit in an outside terrace, and look up - Or, go outside and play with a fucking smart phone...

has night mode

you hold it up at the sky you are looking at, and it names all the major things there in real time, including when you move the screen

if you are really keen it will superimpose the names using the camera to  show you the scenery behind the phone, like it's an invisible annotated window in the sky

try it, you will be really impressed i suspect

Seeing as no-one else has said anything, congrats on 1000 pages of concentrating most of TGR into a single thread while also occasionally complaining about how little new threads there are in TGR!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Seeing as no-one else has said anything, congrats on 1000 pages of concentrating most of TGR into a single thread while also occasionally complaining about how little new threads there are in TGR!

I saw that 1000 pages this morning!

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Almost 8 years... so average of a little over 1/3rd of a page per day.

Crikey coulda sworn it was a year or two ago that Caelum got the second version going ! Was so fucking annoyed the first one was shut down ( I don't care what the official reason is )  I was annoyed

I guess the first one started Sept 2008 or maybe earlier and was ported over?

I do remember it being shut down for probably a couple of months at least but can't remember if a new one fired up or this one was unlocked.

13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

do remember it being shut down for probably a couple of months at least but can't remember if a new one fired up or this one was unlocked

No. Certain bodies decided it was overtaking the need for single threads, and apparently somebody posted something dodgy which could not be got rid of other than by getting rid of the whole  thread. After due time and continued lack of import that was supposed to be generated due to lack of WOYM: 1 , Caelum was encouraged to create this version... bit like the green code sucked so did getting rid of the original version with all the now non-existant posters who were wont to post in it ... no hard feelings tho 😛