Caelum

What's on your mind?

WOMM?

30 character password !?!

Geez, I hate passwords in the first place, they really are not that effective, tend to be either easy to crack or can't be remembered by their rightful users. 30 characters would definitely put me in the latter category.

Most everything I need access to either has a pretty easy and therefore ineffective one or if I have some interface control we use SecureID, RSA, whatever it calls itself now, or fingerprint. Biometrics is far more effective, just needs a real price breakthrough I guess. Damned near everything has a camera on it these days, simplistic facial recognition would work fine.

(I didn't say that, I have a business idea :) )

Cheers

The main issue with Bio-metrics is that when something that is designed to be secure is compromised you cannot safely use it ever again.

I would not be happy if facial recognition was to be used as a standard.

It's a bit hard to replace a face if the points that made it up that are used for the recognition are ever compromised.

In regards to my face, you could say I'm rather.... attached to it.

That many characters and easy for the user to remember? Most probably their address.

Usually it's just weird phrases that come from the entropy that is my mind.

One thing i used to do was for passwords i needed to be very secure i would use a whole paragraph from a book and keep a note of the books / paragraphs at work as a key.

Unfortunately there was report a while back by Schneier that is was no longer secure.

Any form of security with a human element can be subverted. There is no such thing as a secure password. Just some which are easier than others to subvert.

-X

There is a fee on EFTPOS, and traditionally a business doesn't want to eat into the margin on small cost sales, hence a 5/10/20 minimum.

Isn't that nearly exactly what I said? ;)

Edited by SquallStrife

Nearly isn't exactly.

Exactly isn't nearly.

Nearly exactly isn't exactly, but it nearly is.

Edited by SquallStrife

The perils of posting after a page has been open for hours but you forgot to hit refresh ; )

The perils of posting after a page has been open for hours but you forgot to hit refresh ; )

So I'm not the only one that does that. Good.

So I'm not the only one that does that. Good.

Man, it's uncommon for me not to do that. :P

I'd have thought that as well Nich. A girl I know in our local branch put me straight a couple of years ago.

The amount of real cash being deposited, especially in branches has declined hugely with EFTPOS etc. The banks also have a centralisation policy, many outlets are simply not set up for large cash deposits from businesses any more so it goes, presumably by armoured car to the bigger branches.

I suppose it makes sense, I hardly carry cash at all any more, if it were not for parking meters I'm not sure why I carry any tbh.

Speaking of which, why is EFTPOS often restricted to $10 minimum for example? I thought it was prohibitive fees or something but apparently not. Our local Brumby store doesn't care if you just buy a pie :)

WOMM?

Geez, I hate passwords in the first place, they really are not that effective, tend to be either easy to crack or can't be remembered by their rightful users. 30 characters would definitely put me in the latter category.

Most everything I need access to either has a pretty easy and therefore ineffective one or if I have some interface control we use SecureID, RSA, whatever it calls itself now, or fingerprint. Biometrics is far more effective, just needs a real price breakthrough I guess. Damned near everything has a camera on it these days, simplistic facial recognition would work fine.

(I didn't say that, I have a business idea :) )

Cheers

Lies.

The manager bathes in the cash takings at night and rubs it on their genitals. it takes the following morning to rebag it, hense the 24 hour delay.

but it has to old notes. the new ones can give wickid paper cuts.

Shame there's no one hot to perv on at my local gym, but that's ok, it has mirrors on the walls.

I used to have "ThisisFoodspassword!" as a password for a work pc. Anyone that saw me type it in always said how long it was.

'

There's a missing apostrophe.

The IT guys needed my password for some upgrade stuff, I had just changed it 2 days earlier to Boobies2, from 2Giantboobies.

True story Bro.

and it is.

I have also used, Alcatel[my 4 digit extention], YZF1000R1 , Iamevil and my all time favorite. Password1

I quite like Autumn. Early this morning was a beautiful example.

Just on my way home now after a good night out with time with Cheeky, Juggs, Vanna and Lil Souey after work :) , nice to catch up over a few drinks then head to a Spanish restaurant for dinner @ $35 a head for four of us.

NOTE: Had a few more Tappas than I normally would have, but that added to the overall value of the night, especially with Juggs's hiccups :P

Edited by krispy89

Guest xyzzy frobozz

The IT guys needed my password for some upgrade stuff....

After having my Eve Online account hacked, I changed my password to Don'tHackMe'CountYouCuntz12

Possibly overkill, but my account was never hacked again, although eveonline was probably not the smartest of smart passwords.....

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

I think our house is being watched by someone. A Aussie Post Van just pulled up and he got out and ran up too our kitchen window and when he saw me he jumped back in the Van and took off. Not sure what to do ,but tonight i know i will not be sleeping much. Checked the doorstep and Letterbox for anything and nothing can be seen. Damn this always happens when my Father goes on Holidays.

I think our house is being watched by someone. A Aussie Post Van just pulled up and he got out and ran up too our kitchen window and when he saw me he jumped back in the Van and took off. Not sure what to do ,but tonight i know i will not be sleeping much. Checked the doorstep and Letterbox for anything and nothing can be seen. Damn this always happens when my Father goes on Holidays.

QFT

Probably just had the wrong address, dude. Oridinary occurances have ordinary explanations.

:)

It's Adelaide Code, when I lived there I once found a claimed postman in my backyard, before dawn, looking for his bike.

Turned out, after the cops were called, that he had not been a postman for quite a while, his meds and alcohol had not mixed well and he thought he lived in my house...

I suppose I can accept the EFTPOS thing, but obviously Brumby's are not phased by the transaction cost, nor can they really spread it over larger purchases, I mean just how much CAN you spend in a bakery ?

WOMM is what next to try to shame Telstra into admitting their records are either wrong or out of date. A week now of no phones/net (well, we have some 3G access and mobiles) at the new office that is NBN enabled, a fully installed NTD with a live optical circuit is on the wall, but Telstra in Melbourne want to tell me that can't possibly be the case...

Cheers

I suppose I can accept the EFTPOS thing, but obviously Brumby's are not phased by the transaction cost, nor can they really spread it over larger purchases, I mean just how much CAN you spend in a bakery ?

I've almost spent $100 in a single bakery in a single visit.

But we're talking about Brumby's, so probably not.

:)

Yes well Nich, someone told me once about you ordering multiple desserts :)

Cheers

Had and absolute shocker today. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about it ended with one of the alcoholics I have to pick up almost every day shitting himself in the seat next to me. He was so pissed he didn't even know he'd done it. Am trying really hard to go to the gym right now when all I really want is to go have a beer, something I hardly ever do.

Had and absolute shocker today. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about it ended with one of the alcoholics I have to pick up almost every day shitting himself in the seat next to me. He was so pissed he didn't even know he'd done it. Am trying really hard to go to the gym right now when all I really want is to go have a beer, something I hardly ever do.

Well sit outside the Gym with a beer and watch the Girls do Aerobics with a pair of Binoculars.