Caelum

What's on your mind?

Who knew that reflections would be so boring!

Gotta put more energy into language study. Just organised a bunch of vocab into flashcards. Too many things to do :<

My laptop is having massive issues with Adobe Suite. I think it's time for a reformat but I fear there is a bigger problem underlying and this makes me sad.

Also, when is Monday over?

Gotta put more energy into language study. Just organised a bunch of vocab into flashcards. Too many things to do :<

Same, i was going along well for a while and then burnt out.

You use any sort of system or just sort of go at it in your own way?

Trying to adhere to a system. I'm writing my thesis at the moment, in Japanese, and I have a lot of other stuff to do besides, so I have to streamline study as much as possible. I have now made several categories of flash cards.... Verbs and other daily vocab, new vocab from Japanese lessons, words specific to academic writing, and technical vocab related to acoustics and sound (thesis topic is music). Most efficient method I have so far is to bookmark new vocab into lists in my dictionary (Imiwa), and export that list and import into flashcard software (Anki) via a spreadsheet. I can then study via browser on my phone. Good for vocab review, but my writing practice gets sidelined.

What language are you working on? Any system yourself?

Edited by komuso

I'm wondering how much greenhouse gas it takes to produce a given amount of a commodity/product.

e.g. 1 square metre of medium cotton cloth.

I'm wondering how much greenhouse gas it takes to produce a given amount of a commodity/product.

e.g. 1 square metre of medium cotton cloth.

Depends on where 0 emissions start and finish, from raw cotton at a textiles center to your sqm of cloth could be calculated based on the working and metrics of the facility,

As for basic global wholesale emissions per sqm it would be incredibly difficult to calculate, although there are probably industry guesstimates that cost analyst squids use.

Most of it would be in transport I would think

Hmm,

Maybe, cotton is an intensive crop, lots of water, best harvested mechanically, non-trivial processing, one advantage it does have when shipped is low mass.

Cheers

Hmm,

Maybe, cotton is an intensive crop, lots of water, best harvested mechanically, non-trivial processing, one advantage it does have when shipped is low mass.

Cheers

Yea cotton being a nasty one to grow/process might not have the same ugly transport emissions a lot of commodities have I guess.

Water is a bad one, and I've seen some nasty numbers working in recycling, Interesting issue 'emissions management'

Do i drink some beer, wine and a joint and watch GOT.....i dont have long i have to be in bed by 12pm to be of any use for work tomorrow.... 2.5 hours to fit all those fun things in....i think i can do it.

My Raspberry Pi booted up for once, but it doesn't have enough power for the keyboard and mouse. Got a smaller mouse and keyboard arriving tomorrow.

Fucking Logitech. My mouse has been perfect for so long, and then installing their bullshit software to try and remap keyboard keys reset my mouse profiles. Now my wrist is constantly getting sore. Incompetent morons.

Finally parting with my masses of watercooling gear and my big case and PSU, extended my PC hiatus until the end of the year, rather than tax time.

Saving for something pretty cool, computer unimportant :P

Fucking Logitech. My mouse has been perfect for so long, and then installing their bullshit software to try and remap keyboard keys reset my mouse profiles. Now my wrist is constantly getting sore. Incompetent morons.

After installing Win8 it tried to force me to use the latest gaming software for my G700. I searched far and wide for Setpoint 5.46 like I had before, and finally found it and got it working.

I always try to back my profiles up as often as I can remember to do so.

In other news; I'm thinking about dropping some cash on a HTC One very very soon (in time for end of financial year).

Trying to adhere to a system. I'm writing my thesis at the moment, in Japanese, and I have a lot of other stuff to do besides, so I have to streamline study as much as possible. I have now made several categories of flash cards.... Verbs and other daily vocab, new vocab from Japanese lessons, words specific to academic writing, and technical vocab related to acoustics and sound (thesis topic is music). Most efficient method I have so far is to bookmark new vocab into lists in my dictionary (Imiwa), and export that list and import into flashcard software (Anki) via a spreadsheet. I can then study via browser on my phone. Good for vocab review, but my writing practice gets sidelined.

What language are you working on? Any system yourself?

Working on both Mandarin and Japanese at the moment, very interesting to compare the similarities and dissimilarities between the language.

I'm a huge fan of Anki, has been one of the best things for me so far, i started with the Rosetta stone for both but i found it very lacking but a nice starting point.

At the moment I'm focusing on increasing my vocab same way you are it seems and also listening to chinesepod which is fantastic, do you know if there is one similar for Japanese?

Have you tried looking at "Remembering the Kanji"? I know a lot of people who swear by it same as "Remembering the Hanzi" the method seems strange though.

My Raspberry Pi booted up for once, but it doesn't have enough power for the keyboard and mouse. Got a smaller mouse and keyboard arriving tomorrow.

Why not buy a better PSU if you are using a older phone charger well there's your problem.

Why not buy a better PSU if you are using a older phone charger well there's your problem.

I'm using an iPad wall charger to power it. Also decided to get a powered USB hub as well. Should suffice now.

Today I have to clean the delicious funk that is wet carpet from the garage being flooded...

Today I have to clean the delicious funk that is wet carpet from the garage being flooded...

Nice , its always good to wake up to funk :)

WOMM , i finally found the effort to clean my water cooling setup.

The EK green goop has been in there since i built the system on 24/11/2011 lol

One tube has turned white from algae and the others did not look healthy at all but to my suprise the raystorm block had very little smeg inside.

I'm currently running a 10/1 mix of distilled water and white vinegar through the loop while its sitting on my bench , 24 hour flush.

Then ima gunna boycott EK.

It cuts the tree.

It chops what it cuts.

It burns it.

It puts the lotion on its skin...

Then ima gunna boycott EK.

I've always just run automotive coolant of one form or another.

Current loops been going for 4 years so i might crack it open and have a look.

this funk is bananas.. bee..ay..en.ay..en..ay.ess..

some bastard has taken away my funk transport vehicle (ute) and I'm not handling this funk twice, so I think I'll have a beer until the funk mobile is returned..