Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Oh well Krispy. If you ever find yourself in Canberra looking for a job, hit me up. I *might* be able to help you out. But don't take that as an offer! Just know that I'd look out for you.

AD

Oh well Krispy. If you ever find yourself in Canberra looking for a job, hit me up. I *might* be able to help you out. But don't take that as an offer! Just know that I'd look out for you.

AD

Cheers AD. At this rate, it might be advisible to work on my qualifications.

The Tweed is nice and relaxing, AD, you should get back up this way for a relaxing weekend there sometime.

The medical jargon, eveln, in a nutshell means that I'm pretty far gone but still have a few miles in me yet, not a lot but some.

I haven't felt totally shit yet but have moments where I know it's going to be coming.

No wind here yet either and it can stay away. Don't need no crappy weather making me sicker lol.

Well yes I figured that much out already re your " jargon " ;) this post of yours reminds me of the armless and legless knight in Monty Python.

elvenwhore I see you there :) are you married yet ?

Looks like the Poms will beat us in the Commonwealth Games medal tally... not that I've exactly watched any of it.

Suppose it comes largely down to home advantage, plus any country that hosts the Olympics usually puts a big injection into local sport funding which has follow-on effects that lasts several years.

NEW SOUTH WALES!

The Waratahs: finally Super Rugby Champions for the 1st time, great to see!

Time for another little update covering a couple of days ago.

My 1st chemotherapy session on Tuesday went pretty well all things considered. 9 hrs getting pumped full of toxins shouldn't be and really isn't fun but the day was made pleasant, bearable and quite easy thanks to the great staff at the Tweed hospital cancer clinic. The guys and gals there are truly amazing.

No immediate adverse reactions, yay, and am just a bit tired from a longish day.

Now onto today;

Well it's only been a week now since I got the diagnosis and I've already had my first cycle of chemotherapy as I just posted. It's been an up and down week. The Chemo went well enough, was fine on Wednesday but kind of hit a bit of a wall yesterday. I have begun to have some of the common and unavoidable symptoms from the chemo, numbness in my fingers, aching joints, loss of a fair bit of taste, nausea and just feeling rather tired. The worst is still a few days off but I'm not expecting it to get a lot worse and either is the doctor whom I had a quick appointment with today. He was happy with how I went through the first cycle. Just told me to make sure I keep doing all the right stuff to keep as well as I can. No more appointments for 2 weeks now, yay!

Just in case anyone is interested in the medical jargon my full diagnosis is;

Cancer. Right Lung. Adens Carcinoma. My TNM staging is; T 1a, N 3, M 1b. Stage IV.

The clinical trial I'm on is called "Maple". It's a 3 weekly cycle of Paclitaxel + Carboplatin + Bevacizumab OR ABP 215.

All in all so far it's been a pretty surreal experience with a lot more to come I'm sure.

Hope 'the worst' didn't get too bad :) Please keep us updated, especially if it helps. I have no idea but at a guess talking about what you're going through is probably a good thing.

It has been a little bad. It's hard for the the doc's to tell you just what and how bad some of the symptoms will be, makes it tough to prepare yourself for whats coming also.

Has been a pretty shitty 24hrs or so, the pain is right up there but also the feeling of just not being able to use your body the way I used to. Walking, talking and even typing this can take some real effort.

I need to talk about it Mac Dude, it really really does help. If I wasn't to talk or type about it, it would just sit swirling around my mind driving me crazy. The physical side of this sucks but I couldn't deal with it driving me nuts also. :)

Anyone notice that in Last Nights closing ceremony for the Commonwealth Games that Kylie Minogue is starting to show her age. She still looks spunky though.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed by my GPUs/OpenCL memory management that it has able to soldier on after I sent it the wrong numbers or annoyed that because it didn't crash (until I ran the same code on a CPU) it took we waaaay to long to diagnose the error.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed by my GPUs/OpenCL memory management that it has able to soldier on after I sent it the wrong numbers or annoyed that because it didn't crash (until I ran the same code on a CPU) it took we waaaay to long to diagnose the error.

Whatcha doing? Sounds interesting.

Rob.

Whatcha doing? Sounds interesting.

Rob.

Particle-based fluid/soild simulator, runs well on the CPU but as most of the calculations can be done completely independently and in parallel it makes sense to throw it over to the GPU. It also gives me something to do while I look for a job.

Woman sues over swooping bird attack

A Melbourne woman is suing her local council for damages over an injury caused by a swooping bird.

Eliana Deur-Davidson, 41, said she was carrying her three-year-old niece through a kindergarten carpark in Box Hill in November 2011 when a grey bird flew at her head.

She lost balance as she bobbed for cover and landed heavily, injuring her back, News Corp reports.

Ms Deur-Davidson has since made several visits to hospital, including having two spinal injections and a spinal operation, and had to quit her job as a youth worker due to persistent lower back pain and limited movement.

She said she cannot sit for more than 15 to 20 minutes.

Her statement of claim, lodged in Victoria's County Court last week, said the City of Whitehorse breached its duty of care and failed to move the birds, which it allegedly knew to be a nuisance.

The court documents allege the council could have installed devices to scare the birds away, erected breeding boxes away from the carpark to attract the birds or warned users of the dangers.

© ninemsn 2014

Our society truly is getting dumber and dumber... "A scary bird swooped at me and i had a boo boo...".

Pfft... we used to get attacked by magpies on the way to school all the time.

Article

Our society truly is getting dumber and dumber... "A scary bird swooped at me and i had a boo boo...".

I am rather quickly losing what reserves of hope I had for the continued existence and progress of the human race

I am rather quickly losing what reserves of hope I had for the continued existence and progress of the human race

That's really narrow minded/childish, there always has been and more than likely always will be individual cases of stupidity but as a race we continue to progress socially, scientifically and technologically. Sure there'll be hiccoughs along the way but I don;t see the march of progress halting (or even slowing) any time soon.

Went to the memorial on Sunday feeling both incredibly alone and surrounded by new friends (only old friend that could make it was busy helping run things behind the scenes). Such a weird feeling, tho' not as awkward as being asked to explain how I knew/met her. Or being uninvited by the grieving mother.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing to sue over. When you went to school, did you have to undergo spinal surgery and lose your job because of the swooping magpies?

That's really narrow minded/childish, there always has been and more than likely always will be individual cases of stupidity but as a race we continue to progress socially, scientifically and technologically. Sure there'll be hiccoughs along the way but I don;t see the march of progress halting (or even slowing) any time soon.

I wasn't being particularly serious, despite my attempting to make it seem so...

Still, my fault that I didn't include the :) in my post

Power problem #3: Resolved! They tried a replacement battery pack, and that was even worse than the one I had, so I ended up exchanging the lappy. Two weeks of furiously installing and customising stuff... *poof* Oh well - at least this one works! :)

(Yes, confirmed working. I spent 30 minutes making sure of it before oking the swap.)

Waiting for the restore drive to finish as I type this on the phone.

Power problem #3: Resolved! They tried a replacement battery pack, and that was even worse than the one I had, so I ended up exchanging the lappy. Two weeks of furiously installing and customising stuff... *poof* Oh well - at least this one works! :)

(Yes, confirmed working. I spent 30 minutes making sure of it before oking the swap.)

Waiting for the restore drive to finish as I type this on the phone.

:)

Damn that's been a saga Cybes, couldn't just swop the drive?

Cheers

I would have thought so, but apparently the replacement warranty means exactly that. Once the "fix" stage was over, the hands are off the wheel.

Indeed.

Been half an hour so far, and there's almost as much still to go on that Restore. Soooo sleeeeerppyyyy.