Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

There are few things more beautiful than a woman delicately using chopsticks.

Rob.

Wow where has everyone gone ,its so quiet in here lately.

ever wonder why they make non stick frypans? Because no one can get the idea their is no such thing as a non stick frypan.

Damn eggs always stick to them ,and some meats. Fish is a disaster. So much for paying $250 for a top notch pan.

You're right. It's not the frypan. Learn how to cook. ;)

-X

Rob.

:)

I wont argue but that does speak to a sheltered life :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Rob.

Cheers

I find chopsticks easier to use than a Knife and Fork.

My parents knew a chef in Singapore and he taught them an easy way he uses to show westerners how to use Chopsticks.

Rob.

Cheers

That's a bit ambiguous - it could be interpreted a few different ways - care to clarify? :P

Rob.

I was joking, you are in Tokyo, beautiful women abound and they tend to eat with chopsticks. It's an eye-opener compared to the Western world, but, Tokyo is full of American fast hand food joints :)

I can relate, took me a long time to get my daughters to be delicate with a fork, still working on one of them.

Apropos nothing I have a most unusual problem with chopsticks that I do hope is temporary. Last year I took a whack to the tendon/nerve of my left index finger and it is really taking its time coming back. I'm really very left-handed, especially with chopsticks, atm not able to apply pressure to grip things.

Did ok at a Korean BBQ last week, but only just :)

It really is an endless surprise how a minor bit of bodily damage can stuff you around.

Cheers

I spent the weekend at a tech event mentoring high school kids.

One of the students I had is in year 7 and he made a game over two days.

With the help of some iOS devs we put it on his phone and we also uploaded it to Kongregate (play it here).

It's blowing my mind how easy it is now for kids to pick up this stuff.
And thanks to the internet, how accessible that information is; let alone the fact that the game he made is now playable all over the world.

When I was his age (20 years ago >_<), I made some text adventures.
I had to learn this by piecing together enough BASIC commands from TRS-80, C=64 and MS-BASIC manuals.

• Like 1

With the help of some iOS devs we put it on his phone and we also uploaded it to Kongregate (play it here).

And thanks to the internet, how accessible that information is; let alone the fact that the game he made is now playable all over the world.

I had to learn this by piecing together enough BASIC commands from TRS-80, C=64 and MS-BASIC manuals.

Hey cool!

Interesting that the keys aren't placed in a uniform random manner, instead their are "fixed" positions that the key can be spawned into.

I am surprised that decision was made, because it seems like it would take more time.

Or maybe it wouldn't, because without the "fixed" key positions then you might have to search the map for acceptable key positions first.

Rob.

Hey cool!

Interesting that the keys aren't placed in a uniform random manner, instead their are "fixed" positions that the key can be spawned into.

I am surprised that decision was made, because it seems like it would take more time.

Or maybe it wouldn't, because without the "fixed" key positions then you might have to search the map for acceptable key positions first.

Rob.

We used the Ogmo Editor to make the level.

Along with being able to make the map in a visual way, we can also place things in the map; the player start being one.

For the keys we placed 23 possibly positions for the keys to spawn, put them in an array when the level was loaded and then randomly picked 3 to spawn the keys in.

It would have been better to make an algorithm to place the keys so each player had an approximate equal distance to cover. But that would have taken me a few hours to make, let alone getting the student to code and understand it.

Actually after typing all that out, I've remembered some helpers that are in the tilemap class that would have helped make the algorithm.

But that still would have decreased the ratio of work between us.

As it stands, he did ~85% of the code and ~95% of the assets.

First cold night in Adelaide since last year ,dropped down to 6degC. Kind of makes you wonder why you love summer heat so much.

Fucking hate printers.

Piece of shite. This looks to be the second ink cartridge I've thrown out in a row with a grand total of less than 25 printed pages.

Why is it that an inkjet can't sit idle for several months without the stupid things just evaporating away?

We'd have been better off just sticking to dot matrix, at least then we'd probably have 100 pin resolution by now and the ribbon interval would be measured in hundreds of pages rather than a small dozens.

Fucking hate printers.

Piece of shite. This looks to be the second ink cartridge I've thrown out in a row with a grand total of less than 25 printed pages.

Why is it that an inkjet can't sit idle for several months without the stupid things just evaporating away?

We'd have been better off just sticking to dot matrix, at least then we'd probably have 100 pin resolution by now and the ribbon interval would be measured in hundreds of pages rather than a small dozens.

for the price of Ink cartridges its cheaper just to buy a new printer and get a cartridge that is %50 Full at least you get over 100 pages out of it.

Fucking hate printers.

It's not evaporation. It's the ink drying in the print head.

Get a colour laser printer mate. They cost maybe 20 - 30% more initially, but in the time we've had ours, we would normally have gone through 3 or 4 inkjets. Thus, longterm better off.

AD

FFS ! Really ?!? ...

So Tony can drink. I suppose we should be grateful the leader of our country can drink from his own glass without mummy's help.

Freakin' rain! Am going out to see Zombeavers tonight...looks like I might have to swim!

Are you in NSW ? I'd be stayin' in :) ... news.com.au has some pretty cool pics tonight. Also snow in Perisher already !

Edited by eveln
  • Like 2

It's always nice to know that your leader can drink without needing to change his shirt, not exactly a qualification but first tick, on page 15 :)

Cheers

It's always nice to know that your leader can drink without needing to change his shirt...

The spot on 'news' last night had one of the witnesses to the event saying "it was running down his chin" (or something like that). If that's true, then he would have had to change his shirt.

It's definately losing ink... lucky if there's 10% left and it was a new install all of 30 pages ago albeit probably early last year.

Did the ammonia trick on the head, it cleared to the point of some printing but is still useless.

Tend to agree on the laser idea, I suspect they'd be much more useful for the infrequent printing I do... either that or just outsource.

It's definately losing ink... lucky if there's 10% left and it was a new install all of 30 pages ago albeit probably early last year.

Did the ammonia trick on the head, it cleared to the point of some printing but is still useless.

Tend to agree on the laser idea, I suspect they'd be much more useful for the infrequent printing I do... either that or just outsource.

You do know that inkjets run a self-cleaning cycle now and then (and every startup)..? That deposits some of your very expensive ink straight into a sponge pad.

After innumerable inkjets myself, I've decided to go with a colour laser for the next one. Not as good for photos, perhaps, but at least the fucker will still be working next time I decide I need something other than black.

Interesting -kind of assumed the Abbot might be a drooler :)

I seem to have an ok balance, or right brand, HP inkjets work fine for us, but a colour laser is likely on the horizon next buy - I did just buy an HP inket though :)

Cheers

FFS ! Really ?!? ...

So Tony can drink. I suppose we should be grateful the leader of our country can drink from his own glass without mummy's help.

Freakin' rain! Am going out to see Zombeavers tonight...looks like I might have to swim!

Are you in NSW ? I'd be stayin' in :) ... news.com.au has some pretty cool pics tonight. Also snow in Perisher already !

Ahhh, it was worth getting out for some beaver :)

• Like 1

Went for a hike on Thursday and Friday last week, 2500~ metre Mt. Shirane in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. First day was ok, except for the hut I stayed in. Was trudging through waist deep snow trying to locate it. GPS and map got me in the general vicinity, but it was a bit snowed under and took me a while to find it. Door was snowed in so I climbed in through a window, and once inside I found it was old, and pretty dank, not much fun staying there alone. Two hairy incidents on day 2....

The next morning I walked towards where the track should have been, and saw a fresh set of prints. I looked at the prints to see if they'd been made by snowshoes or crampons, and the notches at the front of the print indicated crampons, so I thought I'd be fine (I hadn't brought snowshoes). The tracks wandered a little, and at one point went right under a really low branch. I thought it strange, as most people would just go around the tree. I looked at the tracks again, at one particularly clear imprint, and I realised the notches weren't crampons, but claws. It was an adult bear. Bears aren't particularly large in Japan, but are still dangerous, and this was the biggest set of bear prints I've seen so far here. I got pretty jittery; the tracks were going in the other direction, but I could've been heading towards a den. I turned up music on my phone as loud as possible and sidetracked as far as I could.

A few hours later I was at the peak. Started the descent. Greater than 45 degree slopes of thawing snow and rock. At one point I was heeling my way down a long couloir and I stepped onto hardening snowpack. I slipped, slid down about ten metres, managed to arrest myself with the axe, and downclimbed from that point on. That scared the buggery out of me, as it was quite a way down. Managed to descend without further incident.

Was awesome being alone out in the backcountry but I think I'll bring a bear bell next time....

th_IMG_2783_zpsrybwlra4.jpg

Edited by komuso

" Was awesome being alone out in the backcountry but I think I'll bring a bear bell next time...."

Surrre, cos you really wouldn't want the blighters to miss you . o_0

• Like 1

Currently on my mind:

My car battery won't turn over the car as there isn't enough charge in it. Not sure if I need to replace the battery or the alternator. I know nothing about cars so that doesn't help. When I charge the battery its ok but it maybe as simple as the battery can't hold a charge? All the interior lights etc work it just won't turn over. Had this problem a week ago and charging the battery fixed it until this morning. Not sure where to start.