Caelum

What's on your mind?

Our neighbours are presently extremely immersed in tonight's Origin match ... the " fuckme ! " the " Go Go Go <insert name> " and

similar outbursts are getting louder as the game goes on ;) Sort of amusing. I have no interest in the outcome myself.

Ontology. Epistomology. Emic and etic points of view. My position in the paradigm as an insider/outsider, or a practitioner/researcher. Did I really sign up for this

Oooo scary ;) ... I wonder if you'll discover your " position "

I already know that... nowhere and a nobody (: But what about the paradigmalogicalistical sense and all

What about it ?

I've always found a little mystery to be a good thing. This might be due to an inherent laziness mind. Still ... :)

Rather than actually understanding what its all about I feel as though my only way to deal with it is to learn the jargon, and do my best through phusis as emergence and triangulation of my poietic standpoint to address any epistemological concerns.

Some paragraphs in the books I'm reading.... crazy shit. I'm clearly an outsider in this (:

Aldi

Moser Roth chocolate was some of the best value out there in chocolate land. Orange and almond flavour, $1.79 for 200 grams. Back in Oz recently I discovered that the price had gone up, but still not bad value at all. Aldi Tim Tam copies on the other hand... terrible. And I'm not a fan of their corn flakes either. They aren't baked right, or something

Edited by komuso

;)

Many, many years ago when I was still in high school I worked for a supermarket chain called Fine Fare in the UK, not sure if they even still exist. They were an early marketer of own brand lines, their corn flakes were abysmal as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

;)

Many, many years ago when I was still in high school I worked for a supermarket chain called Fine Fare in the UK, not sure if they even still exist. They were an early marketer of own brand lines, their corn flakes were abysmal as well.

Cheers

Do you ever watch Auf Weidersen Pet ? In the Second Series they visited a Huge Supermarket not sure what store it was as the logo was covered. But it looked like an Aldi to me. It sold anything and everything ,the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

Woolworths losing money - deservedly so.

Their new website is an absolute joke. Takes an eternity to browse to a given item in online shopping.

And have you been watching their Isles ? See how fast they are replacing goods with their own name brands and another brand name of theirs. They use their own brand name 2 times in the isles. One is "Homebrand" the other is "Select" ,they are virtually competing against their own name brands.

Scumbags

Yup, a big thread on this topic on SMH today where most of the comments are saying exactly that.

the most biting and brilliant piece of (non)satire ive seen on TV in a looong time:

• Like 3

Not enough check out chicks/dudes, so you're forced to use the self service registers or wait forever.

i dont understand this at all. i would be annoyed if there were not as many self-service checkouts, coz then i'd be forced to stand around bored shitless and/or making awkward conversation with checkout people.

I went in to buy celery the other day. No celery to be found, unless you want it already trimmed, and in Woolies branded cellophane. Fucking celery! I wouldn't have even needed a bag. Just give me the thing and I'll carry it home. Same goes with all the sliced meats. You can't just go ask for a handful of this or that. It's all pre weighed and wrapped in branded cellophane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6HjwPaaeg

• Like 1

Rather than actually understanding what its all about I feel as though my only way to deal with it is to learn the jargon, and do my best through phusis as emergence and triangulation of my poietic standpoint to address any epistemological concerns.

Some paragraphs in the books I'm reading.... crazy shit. I'm clearly an outsider in this (:

what is all this in reference to?

Before anyone laughs at the inefficiency, impracticality, slowness... Just remember how much of a useless curiosity the photovoltaic effect was just a few short decades ago. I'm not saying this will be the saviour of Mankind - just that it could be very useful.

• Like 4

Research area is ethnomusicology. The above was just banter, in case it wasn't clear, or in case it just happened to be clear, heh

Got an invite to go too a High School reunion ,geez cannot remember the years i went. Think it was 1973 -76 ,still really not sure. Need to dig out my old school papers to see if i can find my School reports. I can vaguely remember school prefects ,the cane and PE in stupid little white shorts.

We are holding the reunion in a Hotel ,so need to be on my best behaviour.

Ontology. Epistomology. Emic and etic points of view. My position in the paradigm as an insider/outsider, or a practitioner/researcher. Did I really sign up for this

Oooo scary ;) ... I wonder if you'll discover your " position "

I already know that... nowhere and a nobody (: But what about the paradigmalogicalistical sense and all

What about it ?

I've always found a little mystery to be a good thing. This might be due to an inherent laziness mind. Still ... :)

I saw your post to @~thehung which explained the above :) ... I couldn't quite understand your bother with it, or rather the

style of language, but well, again, I thought my feelings were based on my inherent laziness as I've already mentioned ;)

And then I thought ... " No komuso is studying this stuff for his music or something . As you can see I pondered on this at times through the day.

Happy jargoning :)

That Rod Gilbert clip is an absolute treasure @~thehung. I did laugh lots.

Research area is ethnomusicology. The above was just banter, in case it wasn't clear, or in case it just happened to be clear, heh

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

And that, by the way, was a genuine published sentence by a famed academic. I figured you were studying something with high wank potential. I sincerely hope you don't lose sight of your original goals amid the suffering ahead :)

the most biting and brilliant piece of (non)satire ive seen on TV in a looong time:

[youtube clip]

That's gold :-)

I despise Coles and Woolies. I outright refuse to shop at Aldi. I don't care how much they "save" me - what's the real cost? That's what I'm always wondering. Growing up in a rural area and knowing many farmers, I know how destructive they are. Even brushing aside the issue of farmers, though, is the whole pushing-other-labels-out - my local Woolies used to be a fucking joke. I couldn't shop there because I couldn't get what I needed, even had I wanted to.

We moved to a new suburb a couple of weeks ago, and the local Coles is rubbish. The so-called "fresh" produce is absolute garbage. It's completely tasteless. And don't get me started on wasteful packaging practices. Nope. I can do Coles and Woolies if I absolutely need to, but I refuse to buy their brands on principle, and as I said, I outright refuse to step foot inside an Aldi. And I won't buy fresh produce there at all. I'm lucky that I live in Brisbane and can make use of other options. It's actually cheaper for us to do markets for fruit and veg than the supermarkets, anyway.

I know it makes fuck-all difference to them how we spend our money, but personally, I'm much happier not supporting them. Time, convenience, cost as well as ethics are the things we look for in the overall price of goods.

And yes, I darn my own socks, too :-p

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

And that, by the way, was a genuine published sentence by a famed academic. I figured you were studying something with high wank potential. I sincerely hope you don't lose sight of your original goals amid the suffering ahead :)

Joizus. Allow me to reciprocate with an announcement of an installation (who doesn't love an installation) that arrived via email this morning. Not quite as lexically jaunty as above, but it could have been ripped straight from artybollocks.com:

"The ambivalent things in this exhibition emerge from ubiquitous objects: clear plastic packages or blister packs. Rather than working with trash as constituent materials, this project focuses on the space left behind by the act of consumption, abstracting and reproducing the void in discarded packaging. While the artwork remains linked to the original commodity via indexical processes of casting, imprinting and cameraless photography, it is simultaneously abstracted and distanced. This installation of photograms and sculptures stretches contemporary art strategies for transforming art made from waste. It reflects on how the remnants of consumption can be apprehended beyond the status of the commodity and endeavours to navigate around ‘aesthetic fatigue' - a visual overload of images relating to waste. The project uses the 'ready made' mould of the plastic package to visualise the space of consumption, inviting poetic reflections on the temporality, materiality and mutability of waste."

I despise Coles and Woolies. I outright refuse to shop at Aldi. I don't care how much they "save" me - what's the real cost? That's what I'm always wondering.

oh. ive always thought of Aldi as...not really evil?

haha :D

Joizus. Allow me to reciprocate with an announcement of an installation (who doesn't love an installation) that arrived via email this morning. Not quite as lexically jaunty as above, but it could have been ripped straight from artybollocks.com:

"The ambivalent things in this exhibition emerge from ubiquitous objects: clear plastic packages or blister packs. Rather than working with trash as constituent materials, this project focuses on the space left behind by the act of consumption, abstracting and reproducing the void in discarded packaging. While the artwork remains linked to the original commodity via indexical processes of casting, imprinting and cameraless photography, it is simultaneously abstracted and distanced. This installation of photograms and sculptures stretches contemporary art strategies for transforming art made from waste. It reflects on how the remnants of consumption can be apprehended beyond the status of the commodity and endeavours to navigate around ‘aesthetic fatigue' - a visual overload of images relating to waste. The project uses the 'ready made' mould of the plastic package to visualise the space of consumption, inviting poetic reflections on the temporality, materiality and mutability of waste."

Umm, so basically, here's a pile of rubbish, please give me $50,000?

Bloody hell but it's quiet here !!

OMM...

What is wrong with people today ? Can they not go to the beach for the sheeer fucking enjoyment of being at the beach ?

Noooo it seems not.

A beach needs a fuck-off big blow up water slide to make it worth going to !!

Or it needs a frigging horse race along it's used to be pristine sands !!

<shrug> I looked around the last few days, noted the quiet, and went and played Divinity instead. I rarely have anything to say unless it's in response to something, so when nobody's talking I don't feel any need to break the silence. (IRL too - I've had whole days when I didn't speak! ;p )

Re the beach thing: I don't pretend to understand them either. Especially not in QLD (winter in SE SA, otoh... I think you have a screw loose going to the beach down here atm for any reason, frankly.)

Nah ,its not quiet.

Just on pause mode while E3 wraps up and the Financial Year finishes.

OMM ...

I wonder what Jon Stewart has planned for himself after the Daily Show. Just saw a wee clip of his response to the

racial killing of those people in South Carolina ... good on him.

<shrug> I looked around the last few days, noted the quiet, and went and played Divinity instead. I rarely have anything to say unless it's in response to something, so when nobody's talking I don't feel any need to break the silence. (IRL too - I've had whole days when I didn't speak! ;p )

Re the beach thing: I don't pretend to understand them either. Especially not in QLD (winter in SE SA, otoh... I think you have a screw loose going to the beach down here atm for any reason, frankly.)

Lol that's not a healthy option for this place :D ... but yeah, sometimes I'll ring Walt and harass him anyoldhow just to get my voice box working .

... he luvs me see ;)

Also if I was south of the border I wouldn't step outside during this season :P

Edited by eveln

Having one of those moment where I genuinely accept my responsibility for how something panned out, and also accept that I simply can't be fucked trying to fix it. In a weird kinda way, also OK with the fact that I was the asshole in this narrative.

• Like 2

So they're stacking the fools up to make Hilary look even more the right sort. Donald as well as Jeb ... ffs !! Such a pity the likes

of Jon Stuart and others have got waaaay more sense than to want to run for the job.

edit: " they're" ... not " their "

Edited by eveln

Having one of those moment where I genuinely accept my responsibility for how something panned out, and also accept that I simply can't be fucked trying to fix it. In a weird kinda way, also OK with the fact that I was the asshole in this narrative.

I'm having trouble imaging you being an asshole toward even a funnelweb. :p Can totaly deal with the rest, though - owning your fuckups is just part of being an adult that a lot of people never seem to learn.

Jon Stuart and others have got waaaay more sense than to want to run for the job.

Actually, Jon *did* run for office - with Colbert. They didn't seriously think they had a snowballs', though. And they didn't.