Caelum

What's on your mind?

Swings and roundabouts. Didn't get the role I was going for. No less than an hour two of finding out, another position may have unexpectedly turned up.

Word to any who works in a work place, calling a co-worker a "Condescending little fuckwit" career limiting move.

• Like 1

Word to any who works in a work place, calling a co-worker a "Condescending little fuckwit" career limiting move.

Best mate is a senior manager at someplace large I won't name... If he'd heard that, and agreed with you about it, he'd probably try to get you a raise. Then again, he's also been known to say the same thing aloud, too. ;) About which: His boss gave him a public bollocking - and then quietly promoted him.

We grow 'em weird in SA. ;) (Not that that should by any means be taken as representative of normal procedures - most companies would not view it favourably.)

• Like 1

:)

You need to work for the companies that do view it favorably in my view - probably why I work for myself :)

The company in WA that I worked the longest for, a very, very successful SI that I was very early on board with took on a HR manager at staff count about 120. Boss had made a quickly admitted huge error of hiring, the HR manager was the biggest dickhead in the company :) It is very, very difficult to offload an HR manager without it going legal, we did eventually, sort of traded him to a government role. Saddest funniest thing was he put out an email inviting everyone to goodbye drinks at the local pub, no one showed up ...

His replacement is still there, tough as nails Scots lady who staff would crawl over broken glass for.

Company politics - I just had the tiniest brush with it again and it was quite enough to remind me why lone wolf is my preferred thing.

Cheers

Tonight was my sons first 'Disco'. (Run by the school).

It was F#$king hilarious.

It looked like a musical festival towards the end. Kids in various stages of 'passed out' all over the place. Randomly the bubble machine would start up and a moshpit would form.

However, we could have done with less "Let it go" or Katy Perry's "Roar".

AD

Swings and roundabouts. Didn't get the role I was going for. No less than an hour two of finding out, another position may have unexpectedly turned up.

I've never been part of a large work place.

Where I am now puts me physically within the surrounds of a large workplace, but not of it's employ. My boss rents the space,

and I'm there on a daily basis. I'm an avid voyeur, it's always interesting to see how different personalities maintain their equilibrian

when obviously not enjoying the company of their co-worker/s. Maybe it's an age thing, but I now really appreciate the individual that

functions without showing temperamental changes.

I should point out that over a fifteen year period of fairly keen observation, I've yet to see this individual.

Just when I think I may be witnessing one in action, life happens and a bit of ' uncoolness ' becomes apparent.

I could never function in a workplace environment. Everyone would gang up to see me off the premises, real quick !

Your son at a Disco AD ! ... he's like five right ?!

Edited by eveln

Just turned 6 this month Ev. So good memory.

He's a good little geek. He now reads Roald Dahl to himself. Much like he is doing RIGHT BLOODY NOW! (Nearly 11pm. He has a torch and is reading) And he gets grumpy when I wake him at 8am for school.

I'm definitely not complaining. I've got a geek. But he's a handful. Not physically. He's not some nutcase that runs off doing wild things. Instead, think "Super duper mono-focused". He focuses on something and the only way you can get his attention is to physically put your hand in front of his eyes to break his field of vision.

I've even had him correct some code I've written. "Daddy. Why is that block there different from that block there. They look similar but not quite". "Because daddy made a mistake. That's why"

AD

• Like 2

How about them Raiders?

10th on the Ladder with an attrocious 1-6 record for home games (worst by far, only 3 other teams with 2 home wins)

Yet their away performance is 5-2 which is in the top 5.

Normally a struggling team outside the top 8 will still win a decent amount of home games but mainly lose away games.

The Ladder itself - only 2 wins seperating 7th place from last place. Only 2 wins seperating 4th from 9th. In theory, any combination of teams still capable of playing the Grand Final.

What industry are you in?

Maybe it's just the malaria tablets talking, but I'm thinking about changing jobs. I like the location and pay and in general the company, but since my old boss left, my new boss has been giving me work way under my skill range. I also think 80% of the managers are terrible at their jobs. But it's bad timing with just finding out my wife is pregnant (which we're both very happy about).

What industry are you in?

IT

Thing is, in Victoria there are pretty strict laws that make an employer criminally negligent for work place bullying.

The other thing is, this dude was on his last warning for his behaviour.

IT

Thing is, in Victoria there are pretty strict laws that make an employer criminally negligent for work place bullying.

Sounds like he got his comeuppance then. If you were a software dev I'd suggest Atlassian, they're hiring like crazy.

Things that shit me:

- Referring to anything ethernet-related as RJ45. The connectors aren't even the same!!

- Referring to ALL D-subminiature connectors as DB-pin count. (DB9, DB15, etc). Only the 25-pin variant is DB25. 9-pin is DE9, joystick/MIDI is DA15, and the VGA connector is DE15. The letter refers to the size of the shell.

Wishing I persuade the Missus to "Do Glasto"

Mate just posted this image from Glastonbury - The pic has the Title "Here come the clouds". Well it wouldn't be Glasto without the rain..& Mud !

TYRR9fy.jpg

Edited by Outcast_Aussie

IT

Sounds like he got his comeuppance then. If you were a software dev I'd suggest Atlassian, they're hiring like crazy.

Atlassian make some awesome shit.

I'm in infrastructure and sysops support myself and we use Confluence for a lot. The other half of the company is devops, and they use a lot of the other fancy Atlassian products.

Impulse buys... inquiring now about a cocktail Galaga machine.

If the price is good...

Talk about brass monkey weather ,sitting on my PC with temps outside hovering at 7.5degC. Last night i nearly froze it was keeping me awake. They say tomorrow morning will be worse when the clouds dissipate and winds drop.

Thanks to a gift voucher, I just paid $199 for a brand new Xbox 360 500GB with three games (CoD Ghosts, CoD Blops 2, and Tomb Raider), a HDMI cable, AND a HDD transfer cable.

Neat.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

NFI what the previous gen consoles are worth...

The Galaga guy didn't appreciate my offer in that I didn't want to spend over $100.

He's wanting $1,000 + It's not so long ago that good machines of that era were around $300-$400 for a cocktail working in reasonable condition.

Now we have these stupid Mame boxes at $1,500 and genuine machines at all sorts of mad prices.

I'm sitting here with slippers on and the rain is mildly but steadily falling. Very pleasant.

rangerron.jpg

Speaking as someone who's had some familiarity with Australia's wildlife: "Amen!" If you have a choice in the matter, yer a fucken' loon to opt for that shit. Camping is what you do after the plane crash. ;p

Edit: Er...website: http://oglaf.com/ Big fat NSFW warning attached.

Edited by Cybes
  • Like 2

NFI what the previous gen consoles are worth...

It was only because my launch day model has finally packed it in, and I still have a few games to get through.

New Hot Water System is screwing up the old pipes and they are leaking. My room is just near where the pipes are located ,and i am aggro. They want to remove the bricks in the wall and replace the pipes.

Just lucky my phone line and Electricity points are wired on the outside wall away from the water and moisture. Now for the drama's on where i am going to live while the wall is coming down and replaced. A plasterer mentioned heavy moulding in the bricks and plaster ,no wonder i sneeze and cough at night.

That's rooted then. The newer hot water systems will often run at high temperature and mix in cold which means they run at higher pressure.

The irony there is that the reason is to minimize the Legionella risk.

• Like 1

That's rooted then. The newer hot water systems will often run at high temperature and mix in cold which means they run at higher pressure.

The irony there is that the reason is to minimize the Legionella risk.

Well the pipes have been in our house since 1963 so we just getting an assessment by plumber on how much to replace. Only problem is we have imported tiles in the bathroom from Italy its like a black pearl colour ,they will be hard to replace. The guy doing the tile work says he will carefully lift tiles for us.

The plasterer tried to patch the wall but its too wet ,i can see other patches on wall now trying to bleed through. Got my Fan heater blowing on wall now.