Caelum

What's on your mind?

FF started to piss me off some time ago.

They have the paranoia and constant changes going on re security yet can't be arsed improving the function of the browser with stuff that you otherwise have to put extensions on to get - like tabs at the side rather than top or bottom only and gesture support. As it was it took them years before bothering to add "Paste and go".

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

They say Heavy Metal is supposed relieve Anxiety and Stress ,nearly blew me off my chair.

I prefer Classical Music its safer ,i can only hear half of it.

Bah Classical music is much better for blowing you off a chair.

cannon_firing.jpg

Good old 1812 Overture.

• Like 1

Anyone here know Romanian? Just got a missed call and I could swear it said my name.

MrF: Do you want me to check with my boss? He has friends that own IT companies down your way. He does remember "Junior".

AD

Given the how unexpectedly our lives are already in twain, I wouldn't be surprised if I already work for one of these friends :P

I'm actually pretty happy where I am. I'd love to knock out MSCA and Azure before I'm ready to move on, and even then, there's so much experience I can gain where I am.

But I'll see how I'm going at the end of the year.

How is your world going man? Any luck with Lab Tech? I think we're going to ditch it and keep looking for an alternative to Kaseya.

Kaseya has dropped support for a few of the key things we used.

I'll be sitting in on a tech demo of Labtech next week. No decisions made, but our hand is getting forced. If you start using an alt to labtech/Kaseya would love to hear about it though.

AD

• Like 1

the Sonos playbar is exceeding my expectations. Seamless playback from all our clients, works with our NAS where all the music is stored, gives us access to Spotify AND allows me to sync the radio commentary to the footy :)

Only one drawback and that's a problem playing podcasts from Android devices, but is only a software fix which is in the works.

Nicely played Sonos, nicely played...

Be going to the Pig and Whistle tomorrow in the city (Brisbane)

Anyone been or recommend them ?

Riverside or Queen Street? Been to both a few times - used to work just around the corner from the Riverside one, so impromptu and barely-planned work drinks used to be there fairly often. We often meet up with some old work mates at the P&W Queen Street. Wouldn't have a clue if it's pricey or not, but it's always been a pretty good place to catch up with friends. We usually just do a table with drinks, maybe some wedges if we're there long enough, but at least you can have a conversation easily enough (unless that idiotic Christmas Parade is going right past, in which case, you'll probably be too distracted by the complete and utter embarrassment that is Brisbane's attempt to do a parade that you won't get much of a chance to talk). It's not stupidly loud because it's very open. The Riverside P&W is bigger and always seemed more couchy and sit-downy and cocktaily-as-well-as-beer'y, when compared to the Queen St P&W. The half a dozen times I've been there I've found it a bit louder, but that's subjective.

Considering I'm not really a pub or alcohol kinda girl, I really don't mind the old P&Ws :-) Maybe it's because I only ever go there to catch up with friends, but it's where I usually suggest so they must be doing something right :-)

edit: I've just been informed there's another one in the CBD now, in King George Square. I haven't personally been, but husband has and he said it's nice too.

Edited by elvenwhore
  • Like 1

Also HappyBirthday for yesterday !

Thanks for the bday greets!

So now Yoga is illegal...in Russia.

fkn governments, we really don't need them for anything that I can think of. Nothing we couldn't do better and cheaper ourselves and no dictators telling us how we can live our lives.

;)

Bit of a media beat up, they didn't really ban it, just suggesting it is a religion, which it is not and that good little commies don't do religion ;)

The Russian Orthodox church survived Lenin, Stalin and Khrushchev, I doubt yoga will be removed from Russian society.

I don't disagree over government entirely, it's more that given half a chance under any political philosophy it becomes too intrusive and over-bearing, but some light degree of governance is desirable.

Cheers

fkn governments, we really don't need them for anything that I can think of. Nothing we couldn't do better and cheaper ourselves and no dictators telling us how we can live our lives.

Really? I can think of a whole bunch of things. Matt Dillahunty had a caller a few months ago from an anarchist and had a great example himself.

https://youtu.be/y0prSMpoODo?t=421

For context, the discussion started with the morality of forcing your will against another person. Naturally, it turned to a discussion about governments. Around 7:00 is when the hosts pull apart the ridiculousness of anarchy using the example of exchanging property ownership.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Really? I can think of a whole bunch of things. Matt Dillahunty had a caller a few months ago from an anarchist and had a great example himself.

https://youtu.be/y0prSMpoODo?t=421

For context, the discussion started with the morality of forcing your will against another person. Naturally, it turned to a discussion about governments. Around 7:00 is when the hosts pull apart the ridiculousness of anarchy using the example of exchanging property ownership.

I wouldn't say they pulled it apart (and that woman shit me to tears and 'If you don't like it here then fuck off is always a profoundly unhelpful reply to anyone's complaints (and hanging up on people is just arrogant and rude)) but yes, discussions need to be had. Being the flexible guy that I am I'll accept the need for a limited 'something' might as well call it 'government' I guess as any structure we come up would always be seen that way. So limited in terms of punishing (real) criminals, and by 'real' I mean people who commit crimes where there is an actual victim and not merely crimes of disobedience, which would include enforcing property rights as discussed in that interview but not telling me what temperature I can have hot water at (I shit you not) or what colour I can or can't paint my fucking fence. They can also make sure the train tracks line up between states and stop the fuzzy-wuzzies from invading, things like that. Of course I only concede the point because, as I say, whatever contract we can come up with it will always be called 'government'. Though I'll also admit I'm not that overly familiar with the history of anarchist thought and I assume that all of these things have been discussed and dissected at length already?

More interesting discussion points here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_law

Edited by Director

He hung up because this guy rings up every second episode and consistently moves the discussion into either one of slavery or absolute morality, both of which have been covered extensively on the show. Only so many times you can have the same futile discussion without going mad.

He hung up because this guy rings up every second episode and consistently moves the discussion into either one of slavery or absolute morality, both of which have been covered extensively on the show. Only so many times you can have the same futile discussion without going mad.

Fair enough. Serial pest then?

Yeah. They screen the calls, but he gets through every now and then. Sometimes they hang up on him immediately if there are other people waiting on the line. I haven't watched the stream in several months so I have no idea what the go is now. I used to watch it because Matt is great at catching out inconsistencies in people's arguments, which I found really interesting. He trained as a minister too, so he has that perspective under his belt. I prefer listening to him over someone like Dawkins who has gone off the rails a bit with his social commentary.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

The problem with anarchy in the end is that as a potential system it's never been tried. I've an interesting book on it here somewhere but can't lay my hands on it. The essential conclusion was that there will always be alphas who will dictate so anarchy would not last long - sounds about right.

The most important function of small government ought to be infrastructure but if you have a look at the sorry state on infrastructure in big government USA, like bridges falling down from neglect, it is apparent that governments large and small really have little idea about priorities :)

Cheers

PayPay scammers sent me a physhing email linking to a real eBay auction.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141706592789

Looks like they're just choosing active auctions as links to include. Doubt the guys with the item have any involvement, nearly 100% rating with >10,000 items sold.

Just heard another shooting in Chicago with some dead not sure how many but many injured and in shock. If any country is in Anarchy i say the people in America are in a state of Anarchy. Damn Guns should be banned outright in Society.

Nothing we couldn't do better and cheaper ourselves

Because that's worked out so well in the US (cf. provision of medicine, energy, and education)

Nothing we couldn't do better and cheaper ourselves

Because that's worked out so well in the US (cf. provision of medicine, energy, and education)

A perfect argument for the need for 'some' regulation AND the useless of government in preventing third parties from raping the population. Let's not forget Obamacare and the TPP while we're at it, written by industry, pimped by politicians. Maybe it's just the quality or execution of government I'm shitty with and not the concept itself?

IMO, voting should be electronic and citizens should be allowed to vote on policy directly. We don't need representatives to do this for us in the 21st century.

OMM ... the tantalizing smells of roast chicken. It's nearly here !!!

Maybe it's just the quality or execution of government I'm shitty with and not the concept itself?

I daresay you're on to something!

• Like 1

Here's a thought... " Throw your used wet wipes in the bin !" ... << this thought comes to you from this rather yucky but necessary

article. It seems the UK mob really need to get it organised, they had a fatburg the size of a double decker bus ...(O_O)

I'm in the habit of using them at the servo, they're very handy. I don't buy them though as I'm not at all fond of the perfumes, plus

I don't have kids that needs arses and faces wiped. ... * smiles with relief *

One of those products which makes me think "WTF do people need those for?"

Fair enough, for snotty, chocolate coated toddlers riding in the back of your car they're probably a necessity but for any adult with claims to be able to take a toilet break unassisted, why would you need them?

And you don't need to be Einstein to deduce for yourself what should or shouldn't be flushed down the toilet.

You could probably tie a bunch of those things together and make a rope which could tow a car... there's on for the Mythbusters to try out right there.