Caelum

What's on your mind?

The dollar somewhere in the 70c range is about right, any higher and as nice as it is for importing it messes with the core income of the country - exports.

I really do not have a problem with GST on internet purchases either but logistically it's not easy.

Cheers

Why should the government be able to profit from me buying stuff that I can't get locally?

They weren't going to get any money in the first place, and now they are. For them to piss away on the usual bullshit.

Why should the government profit(?) from any purchase?

Because they need to raise money to fund little things like roads, hospitals and helicopter flights.

And $5000 helicopter flights (oh, you got that one), and billions of dollars each month for interest on their debt and millions and millions each year to keep ex-prime ministers in the lap of luxury and 90 BILLION per year on 'welfare', etc etc etc. Besides, roads are 'supposed' to be funded by my 'rego fees' (another tax) as well as petrol taxes. So nah, fuck 'em bunch of thieves who are only different from the Mafia in that the Mafia are more flexible and honest.

• Like 1

Shutting down the ABC shops what a idiot that Mark Scott is. After reading yesterday about piracy online and now this happens ,looks we are doomed further to descend into the Piracy World. ABC have cut back all BBC programs the only thing we get is repeats ,Australian Drama is boring.

Think of the ramifications here ,no DrWho DVD's for sale anywhere else as ABC will hold them for online retail. Kids Shows will be unavailable along with other classic cult series. Even new shows will be harder to get.

I buy over $300 worth of DVD's from ABC book shops and i see plenty of customers in their stores.

Maybe the Directors on the ABC board are pulling out and stopping the cash flow into ABC over its stance.

They are not closing all of them according to the ABC news but quite a lot by the sound of it.

However don't Collins have a section of ABC stuff ?

The retail storefront bookshop is basically dying, not just the ABC.

Cheers

Until 5 or 6 years ago ABC shop was a fairly regular visit for me, normal bookshops too.

Now I just CBF, even though I barely touch eBooks either. The market has changed, any business model that relies exclusively on books and/or hard video media is an endangered one.

I think ABC outgrew itself with stores in every large shopping centre in Australia. Before we had one ABC shop per capital or in a ABC building.

But reading the business sites some of the Board of Directors are unhappy with ABC's loss of money and want to see some profits. Could Mark Scott be on a Final Warning from his own Board to improve his status. I think shutting down ABC shops will be a loss for both ABC and its viewers. I usually buy all my British series from ABC stores as they really cheap compared to JB hifi .

I feel bad for deliberately avoiding the "news", and therefore being somewhat apathetic. But every time I try to read about what's going on in the world, it takes all of two stories before I'm raging inside. Fucking the one percent hiding 31 trillion dollars (conservatively) in tax havens. Trickle down economics, my fat arse! Fucking Mexican fisherman poaching protected a porpoise that's on the edge of extinction. If I could I would kill every last one of those cunts. Dolphins that have been so badly poisoned by swimming in their environment, that they are having trouble reproducing. EVERYTHING that that cunt bag Abbott does and says. I just don't have the mental constitution to know about this stuff and not go into a rage. The thing that gets me is that there is nothing I can do that's going to make a bit of difference. Oh well. Once I calm down it's back to video games and the gym.

I feel bad for deliberately avoiding the "news", and therefore being somewhat apathetic. But every time I try to read about what's going on in the world, it takes all of two stories before I'm raging inside. Fucking the one percent hiding 31 trillion dollars (conservatively) in tax havens. Trickle down economics, my fat arse! Fucking Mexican fisherman poaching protected a porpoise that's on the edge of extinction. If I could I would kill every last one of those cunts. Dolphins that have been so badly poisoned by swimming in their environment, that they are having trouble reproducing. EVERYTHING that that cunt bag Abbott does and says. I just don't have the mental constitution to know about this stuff and not go into a rage. The thing that gets me is that there is nothing I can do that's going to make a bit of difference. Oh well. Once I calm down it's back to video games and the gym.

heh, yeah keep at it and eventually the rage will turn into healthy contempt which will hopefully lead you to peaceful disobedience and who knows, maybe the leader of the rebellion that overthrows the system? I guess you can keep trying to distract yourself if you like, that's what most people seem to do, reality sucks and all that. And least understand that you're not the only one, in fact you;re probably in the majority atm.

It's obvious I know, but health insurance companies don't have a sense of humour.

Yesterday I received 3 of the same form from our healthcare insurance company - a 'wellness application form'. I didn't realise I needed to complete a form(or 3) to ask to be well, but no matter. I gave them a call to see what the story was.

After a bit of Q&A between myself and the lovely Trish, healthcare consultant, we came to the conclusion that I'd received 3 wellness application forms because 3 members of my family have recently joined a gym. Under the cover we are on gym membership may be partially claimable.

Looking at the form I noticed that part of it had to be completed by the 'referring healthcare practitioner'. The lovely Trish told me that this could be a GP, Physio, Chiro or any other practitioner registered with them. I then asked, 'it doesn't have to be a medical practitioner then?'. Trish asked me what I meant. 'Well you included Chiropractors'.

Silence.

Moving on, I then asked what if you hadn't been referred by a registered healthcare practitioner, but that you had been struck by some form of enlightenment and decided that physical activity was good for you?

No, Trish told me, that would be joining a gym for recreational purposes, not medical and that we couldn't claim that.

'Ah', said I, 'but you'd have to be mad to go to a gym for recreation so wouldn't that count as a medical condition?'

Silence again.

At this point I decided to kill my budding comedy career, thanked her for her time and ended the call.

So it looks like the family will have to visit to the local bulk billing clinic, paid for by the public system, and get the forms stamped so that their gym can be partially paid for by the private system.

Yay for bureaucracy!

• Like 2

ROFL!!!

You really should not have hung up Mac, but you should have been recording :)

Yet another litany of proof that we are still stuck in the crazy years :)

Cheers

Walking is physical activity and, so far, there's no charge or GST for it

Walking is physical activity and, so far, there's no charge or GST for it

:)

Not if you go barefoot...

:)

Cheers

God-damn beer is Awesome!

That is all :)

564 pages and that is the most sensible comment in the entire thread.

• Like 1

God-damn beer is Awesome!

That is all :)

564 pages and that is the most sensible comment in the entire thread.

You know, I'm sure I must've said something sensible somewhere ...

or maybe it was just a thought I had that disappeared into the ether before my fingers could type

Remember Big Dog - the Boston Dynamics pack robot? Well, BD have not been resting on their laurels. Meet Spot:

Lil cameo from Big Dog in there just for comparison.

A few more generations and it will turn into a proper Terminator-style hunter-seeker, and then we can all be terrified. ;p

That's crazy, and sad. I wonder if the Smithsonian know? It would be so fitting to have a Buran on display alongside a US shuttle.

Buran was smaller but actually in many ways more advanced, it's one flight was a completely successful autonomous unmanned orbit and return. The Russians were always better at unmanned space systems than the Us including sending a lander to the moon and return with samples.

Cheers

OMM ... pizza and port actually

edit: IMGN = ( in my gut now )

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

I was on a site earlier that had a much better alternative to that abomination Captcha system of unreadble text.

Simply click the checkbox next to "I'm not a robot" then of 9 food photos, click only on the ones that are of pizza - though a couple were lineball as to what you'd call them.

I was on a site earlier that had a much better alternative to that abomination Captcha system of unreadble text.

Simply click the checkbox next to "I'm not a robot" then of 9 food photos, click only on the ones that are of pizza - though a couple were lineball as to what you'd call them.

I'm old enough to remember when Captcha first appeared... It was quite legible, then. They became popular for preventing spambots, so spam software learned to read them, so they got harder, and programs got better - and now only programs can read them, and we can't. As long as there is incentive for people to flog product, it will be the same with any alternative in the long run.

But alternatives can buy us a few yeas of comfort, I suppose.

The worst ones are the ones that insist you get case right as well, then throw in mixed size text which makes it near impossible to guess whether some of the letters should be caps or not.

Is $30 per hour good pay ?

I don't know what is deemed normal anymore.

It is if you're getting 40 hours a week I guess? (I wouldn't really know either. :) )

Is $30 per hour good pay ?

I don't know what is deemed normal anymore.

to find out generally google it Trigger :) ... but on a personal level... Does it cover you caring for you and yours

and being able to save some too, and enjoy the life you're making for yourself and family ?