Caelum

What's on your mind?

Sepp Blatter and tony Abbott are both delusional unwanted trash

Edited by Jeruselem

These Viaos are nice looking machines but WTF is with having the trackpad offset to the left? (it works out to be centred in the keyboard as it also has the num-pad).

Also, the restore utility seems somewhat a joke. It's been going for yonks, a simple image restore would take minutes but this one seems to be an image for the base OS then a mindnumbingly slow batch install of applications, fonts and other trivial rubbish. Chances are that doing the whole process manually would be quicker.

Management gave me an early Christmas present today in the form of a promotion! :)

Congratulations and may you be happy in your new position.

• Like 2

Management gave me an early Christmas present today in the form of a promotion! :)

So, more hours, more responsibility, same pay?

Or a proper promotion? :)

• Like 1

Same hours, same responsibility, more pay.
  • Like 1

Same hours, same responsibility, more pay.

In that case: Congratulations! :)

What a fuck-damn crock! Initiated Windows Update on a Win7 x64 laptop an hour ago and it's still "checking".

What a fuck-damn crock! Initiated Windows Update on a Win7 x64 laptop an hour ago and it's still "checking".

Dat's b0rked, mate. Power-cycle it and try again - worst outcome, and you could reimage it in less time.

Looks like it has crashed ,try again.

btw you have disabled your virus checker?

Had that a bit lately. I'll try and find a link to my usual solution.

OK try this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

Says for Windows 10 but I have used it on other installs. :)

Edited by Director

Ever tried to remove the hard drive out of a vaio? Omg

:)

Depends on the model, some are origami puzzles some it is one screw and you have bay access.

We have/had five of them over the years, still holding two for reserve use but not available outside of Japan since Sony sold off the division - damned shame, great laptops.

That said the HP Pavilions we had to get to replace the last pair are damned good as well.

I see Space X had a great Christmas present, watching that landing is rather jaw-dropping.

Cheers

Cheers, tried that update solution. There was ~ 960 Meg in the update folder and I deleted it all.

Restarted the update and checking the folder within a matter of minutes it has climbed from 30 to 120 and now to 350 Meg.

Last update attempt was a little over 1h 15 of waiting around, see how this one goes.

Hmm,

Have been running a number of Win10 updates from 8.1 of late and found it to be a LOT slower than I had been used to.

I've been told that the MS update servers are under stress because of an accelerating take-up of Win10 and the very large update packages for that OS let alone all the still supported OS updates.

Maybe.

Cheers

Unfknblvbl... 899 Meg and it took 1h 45 to finally promt me. Now it looks to be downloading even more.

Unfknblvbl... 899 Meg and it took 1h 45 to finally promt me. Now it looks to be downloading even more.

It's not pre-downloading Windows 10 is it? Apparently that's a thing now.

You never know... I installed the criticals and of the extras offered didn't bother with any.

Didn't bother to check the folder size once that was finished. I was just getting 2 laptops back to usable state for some bucks so don't want to get to indulgent with updates, but didn't want them 2 years in limbo either.

You never know... I installed the criticals and of the extras offered didn't bother with any.

Didn't bother to check the folder size once that was finished. I was just getting 2 laptops back to usable state for some bucks so don't want to get to indulgent with updates, but didn't want them 2 years in limbo either.

FYI

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/?PageSpeed=noscript

What sort of a Grade A moron sends computer memory through the mail in an envelope with no other packing other than having the modules packed inside 2 post-it notes stuck together?

Needless to say, one Sodimm was still "safely" inside the post-it while the other had slipped out (both short sides open).

Also needless to say, one module is faulty to the point of creating corruption on the POST screen and the laptop refuses to progress any further with it installed.

Dickheads.

eBay purchase?

I just do not buy there.

SODIMM is usually pretty robust but in the mail an anti-static bag is de rigeur.

Cheers